Windows 11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A place for everything, and everything in its place. Every new version of windows seems to be "just hit save, we'll put it in a gigantic box
This seems even more true of Android, btw. Not sure how iOS compares.

In my years supporting business use of (Windows) computers, I found that users struggled mightily with the concept of drives, directories/folders, path names, etc. The "gigantic box" style of storage management seems horrible, but may offer some advantages.

I've built and fixed computers for years and I've had no issues with 11, 10 yes many, I did build a fast water cooled unit using a fast m2 drive so the pc probably helps

Screenshot 2024-06-12 133204.png

Last edited:
The only Windows OS I had enough issues with to flat out dump before the normal course of change was Windows ME.

Try as I might, never could find semblance of stability with that one.

That’s how I feel about XP. Well, really more about 7. Actually 10 has been pretty good.

But I totally agree about the big box trust us shenanigans.

Bought a new fast PC for video. SSD. Speedy video card. Lots of memory.

Like 30 minutes later, Windows 11 came out. Used the diagnostic tool. My computer will not run Windows 11.

Still have Windows 10.

Dang. Sucks. This could become an issue when Win10 security patches end. Perhaps you can replace the motherboard at that point, preserving the rest of your investment.
You can simply edit a registry setting to bypass TPM, or whatever hardware is incompatible. That's how I was able to install it on my Dell R710 server, it does not have virtual TPMs.

Linux video software
I had the same thought.

Playing downloaded video on Linux is generally not a problem. Streaming services are another matter. In my very limited experience, while one distro may do well (Raspberry Pi Desktop), another (Ubuntu for Pi) may lack the necessary DRM widgets.

Too, though the leap to Linux has never been easier, it could feel like a scary one-way street depending on one's experience/confidence.

Dang. Sucks. This could become an issue when Win10 security patches end. Perhaps you can replace the motherboard at that point, preserving the rest of your investment.

There are ways to install even if your PC doesn't meet the requirements.

I never really tried to fix this issue, since I like Windows 10 and didn't have any reason to upgrade. I'll fool with it now. There is probably a fix I didn't feel motivated to investigate.

This is a momentous day. My PC has been declared ready to use Windows 11. Which I don't actually want.

Even better news: Windows 11 is free and coming soon. I guess my time zone is a little bit behind the others.

From what I've been reading Microsoft hasn't figured out how to get the Russians off their systems. Security at this point is kind of a joke. I have a feeling the thugs are going to do much more with AI than the other side. Everyday huge amounts of data seems to be stolen.

For those of you worried about the Linux leap I say give Mint a try. I recently tried Debian Bookworm and it was also incredibly friendly as well.

I am a victim of identity theft it sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Since once of the sub-topics here is seems to be security of systems and networks ...

Microsoft employee and PostgreSQL developer Andres Freund reported the [XZ Utils] backdoor after investigating a performance regression in Debian Sid.[6] Freund noticed that SSH connections were generating an unexpectedly high amount of CPU usage as well as causing errors in Valgrind,[7] a memory debugging tool.[8] Freund reported his finding to Openwall Project's open source security mailing list,[7] which brought it to the attention of various software vendors.[8] The attacker made efforts to obfuscate the code,[9] as the backdoor consists of multiple stages that act together.[10]
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XZ_Utils_backdoor

1718235541972.png

so let's continue with content from the wikipedia article (which is a good summary based on my almost 'real time' reading of the situation):

Broader response
Computer scientist Alex Stamos opined that "this could have been the most widespread and effective backdoor ever planted in any software product", noting that had the backdoor remained undetected, it would have "given its creators a master key to any of the hundreds of millions of computers around the world that run SSH".[24

Maybe the question, at a personal level, is how does one "embrace, extend, extinguish" (or at least minimize and contain) this thing called "big tech" (link).

Or maybe not.

Last edited:
Both Google and Apple recently made announcements regarding adding LLMs to their OS products. IIRC, Google was talking about a "Recall"-like product. I haven't seen all the details on Apple's announcements.

Maybe the question, at a personal level, is how does one "embrace, extend, extinguish" (or at least minimize and contain) this thing called "big tech" (link).

Or maybe not.
I think for the majority of people that requires a major revamping of their connected status, as in pretty much pulling the plug. IMO unlikely to happen.

There could be enhancements to privacy protections but I opine some or a lot of that would be/could be/is waived anyway when one accepts the EULA typically required in order to use the app, service, maybe even device (or the connected aspect of it, anyway)

Last edited:
Might be a bit off-topic, but I've been using virtualbox to run things that don't like to run concurrently with other things... loving it

in other news, W11 runs fine. All my apps run fine. MS wants hard to own my pc, especially the browser. Just say no. Likely all my keystrokes are recorded, but I don't care. I'm boring.

For those of you worried about the Linux leap I say give Mint a try. I recently tried Debian Bookworm and it was also incredibly friendly as well.
I used Mint for years with Mate desktop, but there were times I really needed a newer kernel. At some point I switched to Ubuntu Mate and don't miss Mint.

Long live gnome 2.

Linux destop is easier to install than windows, and normal stuff Just Works, but I do end up deep in terminal land for certain software. MythTV is probably the worst offender. (DVR software)

Last edited:
Might be a bit off-topic, but I've been using virtualbox to run things that don't like to run concurrently with other things... loving it

in other news, W11 runs fine. All my apps run fine. MS wants hard to own my pc, especially the browser. Just say no. Likely all my keystrokes are recorded, but I don't care. I'm boring.
Have you found the registry edit to get context menus back? Worst part of win11 vs 10 is the wacko right click menu.

If someone finds a way to get a not-demonic save menu in Office, I'd give them a medal. "Let's break ctrl+shift+s and make the save menu require 5 clicks to open."

Nothing wrong with Virtualbox, I've used it, but just in case you didn't know, Windows 10/11 Pro has a hypervisor built in, no need for Virtualbox. This is basically what led me to buying my rack mount server on ebay for $200 out the door. 96 gb RAM, dual Xeon E5620s, uses about $3/month at $.08/kwh. I needed more than the simple hypervisor on desktop PC could provide easily. Now I can turn my gaming PC off at night, or at least let it sleep.

Latest posts

Back