Wilserbrewerbags vs The Brew Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a wilser bag and it works great! My false bottom broke which dropped the bag on top of my heating element and it burned a few small holes in my bag. Wilser let me send it back and fixed it, even though not his fault, and let me order a backup at a discount. Huge +1 for him. Great product, great customer service, very responsive and quick turn arounds. You won't be sorry ordering from him.

p.s. I got the grand slam which had the custom sized kettle bag, hop bag, hop sock, and pulley. My brew day with the bag with holes dumped a lot of grain into my pot (pump was recirculating). I used the hop bag on the pump return as a filter. The voile material is a tight weave and does a good job of keeping a lot of the particulate material out of the brew. Now I have my repaired and new bag I wont need to do that, but I've also put vanilla beans and cocoa nibs in a hop sock and put directly in keg. Since they filter well I'm also going to try making cold brew coffee as my wifes method of straining seems like more work and messy.

I was fortunate enough to "win" a bag from Wilser during the Superbowl contest promotion, so maybe I'm biased, but I've used the bag on my last two batches and frankly I'm not interested in any other product. It's incredibly well sewed, fits my kettle like a glass slipper and because the mesh is so fine it's easy to clean as well.

Pick up a wilserbag and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Fixed that for you, the bag wasn't a "gift" but rather you "won" it fair and square....

+1 for Wilser, I got a grand slam package just awhile ago and it has been amazing. Worked perfectly and the hop bag was a godsend for my last two batches. I even used the hop sock as a filter for my siphon when moving the beer and I was shocked how perfectly clear the beer ran. Fantastic product!

I bought a wilser bag awhile back. Used it the first time today, it worked great! Definitely impressed with this product!

I have a Wilser. The sewing and draw string are well done. The material is strong and can be repaired with a simple sew job if you do rip it. Customer service was top notch. I just have a bag for my kettle no pulley or hop sacks...

I just used the wilser bag for the first time today. I gotta say that it is pretty amazing.

Update: I have actually managed to ruin a wilser bag and am in need of a new one. Totally my fault though... I was using a brewhardware false bottom in a recirculation ebiab and ran the pump too fast. Pulled the false bottom apart and the bag into the pointy bits. Bobby is great and sent me a replacement even though I'm a dummy.

I purchased both. Used the wilser first and haven't had a need to use the brew bag. I'm sure I will eventually but I'm in no rush.

Update: I have actually managed to ruin a wilser bag and am in need of a new one. Totally my fault though... I was using a brewhardware false bottom in a recirculation ebiab and ran the pump too fast. Pulled the false bottom apart and the bag into the pointy bits. Bobby is great and sent me a replacement even though I'm a dummy.

Yes that Bobby is a swell guy :)
Please PM me specifics of what you need.
Thanks

I own bags from both companies as well as hop socks and dry hop bags. From my experience, both bags are excellent. The brew bag seems a bit more heavy duty from the perspective of the seams, and after 30+ brews, shows no signs of slowing down. The Wilser bags appear to be great quality as well but I can not attest to their longevity.

A round about way of saying that I believe you can't go wrong with either of the bags as they are both excellent at pulling spent grains out of your wort.

When ordering the Wilser bags, the customer service was timely and helpful, but since I now have 2 great BIAB bags, I am hopeful I am set for the next several years!

I know Wilser is awesome here on the forum and will surely give his bag a try after my Brew Bag needs replacing but 17 batches in and mine looks brand new still.

Also, how do you lift the bag if you don't have straps on wilser bags?

Also, how do you lift the bag if you don't have straps on wilser bags?

This question comes up frequently, so I have done several threads on the subject. The bag drawstring while very handy for securing the bag to the kettle, it can also be simply utilized for attaching the bag to a hoist.This most recent thread addresses utilizing a double pulley system, (available at wilserbrewer) as well bag attachment to a hoist. FWIW, the bag drawstring can be more useful than attachement straps IMO.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=623808

This question comes up frequently, so I have done several threads on the subject. The bag drawstring while very handy for securing the bag to the kettle, it can also be simply utilized for attaching the bag to a hoist.This most recent thread addresses utilizing a double pulley system, (available at wilserbrewer) as well bag attachment to a hoist. FWIW, the bag drawstring can be more useful than attachement straps IMO.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=623808

One nice benefit of the drawstring design is that, when hoisted, it draws the sides of the bag inward, limiting the diameter of the grain mass. Less chance of wort dripping overboard.

Agreed.

I do think the biggest plus of the drawstring w/ cord lock is being able to simply and quickly fasten the bag securely over and around the top of the kettle rim. When I see other bags in use and see a collection of 5-6 binder clips securing the bag it brings back memories....not to mention how effective the drawstring is for bag hoisting...only one attachment point to the hoist is easy and effective.

Pricing is also substantially lower at wilserbrewer, a large bag over 17.75" diameter is $22 vs $35 with cheaper shipping. Grand Slam package deals at wilserbrewer also offer significant savings.

I'm off the stump lol...

Thanks for the support.

Wilser

Hey Wiser,

I just want to thank you for my new bag I got a couple weeks ago. Not that I needed it right away but I ordered it on Sunday and got it on Monday.

Thank you!

When I see other bags in use and see a collection of 5-6 binder clips securing the bag it brings back memories....

Wilser

That used to be me, back when I had the crappy bag from the LHBS. Except I used wooden clothes pins. Kinda hard to seat the lid (and hold in heat) with a half-dozen pins lined up around the rim. :mad:

That used to be me, back when I had the crappy bag from the LHBS. Except I used wooden clothes pins. Kinda hard to seat the lid (and hold in heat) with a half-dozen pins lined up around the rim. :mad:

Yup! I used a brew bag for years...loved the handles, great product, but the binder clips and customer service both suck. Could not be happier with the product AND the customer service by Wilser!

One word of caution re: longevity. The Wilserbag is not impervious to a determined Golden Retriever when you leave said bag with grain unattended in a bucket.....:(

Brew bag right now,

but I think I will get some Wilsers made up, I want to do some batch sparging and having the mash in several bags seems like the ticket for that

My Wilserbags (including the free hop bag - thanks!) have been my go-to for the past 6 brew days and so far zero complaints and lots of positives. Perfect fit, easy to use, good beer at the end - that's what it's all about. I have no experience with the Brew Bag, maybe it's as good, but I can vouch first-hand for the Wilser.

Cheers!

Wilserbags are great, love having it custom made with a draw string. Tough too which is good since I do large batches and I don't want it to rip like my crappy old bag.

I have had 2 different wilserbags for different sizes kettles. Both have worked amazingly well for years now. I routinely do 10 gallon BIAB batches and the wilserbag handles all that grain and liquid without tearing. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and encourage anyone on the fence to buy a wilserbag.

I'd like to order a Wilserbag, but shipping costs to Canada are pretty steep.

Thanks for bringing this up, the flat rate international shipping may not be accurate for a bag only to Canada.

PM sent.

FWIW, a wilserbag shipped to Canada still considerably less than a Brew Bag. Just sayin...

One thing that is important to me with any purchase is customer service. Wilser is always available to guide you and offer custom suggestions when appropriate. Not only do you get a great product, you get customer service and solid advice from his own brewing experience. Wilser is a brewer so his product is based on a brewer's needs.

In comparison to the Brew Bag: I got a brew bag as part of a seller's getting out of brewing package. At first I considered the long handles an advantage, but quickly realized they make the length of pull on my pulley too tall causing height problems. With Wilserbags, you can make a quick loop knot right on top where the bag is gathered and the pull length is short in comparison. Additionally, I like to cinch the bag with the Wilser drawstring so the kettle lip acts as an anchor preventing a bag full of grain from slipping into the kettle.

Wilser no comparison-Great product with great customer service and rapid shipping.

Quick hijack question. When ordering a Wilser bag is it good enough to say 15 Gal Megapot 1.2, or do I need the exact measurements? I keep forgetting to measure when I get home as I'm bombarded by little ones.

I also will throw my hat in the ring for a Wilser bag. I have two of them currently (thanks to a BOGO sale prior). I have one for 10 gallon BIAB and one for my 5 gallon BIAB pots. Both work tremendously well and are tough. Although, the larger bag has recently started to show signs or wear in that there are just smaller than dime size rips/tears in the bag itself. It's not a major concern, but, I might seek out a new one. I cannot speak for the hop bags as I do not have them, but they do look great. I will continue to use my paint strainer bags for the time being.

As for the Brew Bag, another homebrewer in my club has that option. I can't say I have seen him use the binder clips to hold the bag in, but the lid does hold it down as well from my recollection. And while it does look industrial with the seams being gusseted all the way down, there is as mentioned, no fastening option to the pot while mashing. Sure you can grab 4 loops and just hook them to a pulley, and in that regard, the Brew Bag does win IMO. But, watching Wilser's posts on how to "wrap and tie" the drawstring around the bag and lift is priceless. I have the utmost confidence now in my technique that I hoist full 10 gallon BIAB grain without even worrying about it. And yes, as mentioned, it does help the bag to "compact" enough to not overflow that priceless wort onto the ground.

If I had to rate the customer service on the Wilser bag I would have NO complaints. I remember ordering it and about 4 or 5 emails back and forth to confirm measurements and viola, the package arrived at my door in just days. I haven't had to follow up yet as the bags just seem to "work" as they should....but I cannot imagine Wilser being anything accept cordial and prompt. And that goes a long way with me.

So in the end, get what works best for you. Test it, beat it up and enjoy the BIAB concept.

Quick hijack question. When ordering a Wilser bag is it good enough to say 15 Gal Megapot 1.2, or do I need the exact measurements? I keep forgetting to measure when I get home as I'm bombarded by little ones.

According to Northern Brewer

Diameter by Height = 15.7" by 18.3"

http://www.northernbrewer.com/15-gal-megapot-1-2

I just ordered one from Wilser (haven't used it yet) and as I was at work at the time, I had to check dimensions on their site.

From Midwest Supplies site:
Diameter by Height: 15.7" x 18.3"
Metric Internal Diameter by Height: 40 cm x 47 cm
Wall Thickness: 1 mm

As others have said, Wilser is cheaper. Great customer service. Also he only does custom sizing which is awesome. I think brew bag does it but their custom sizing is much more expensive. I love the Wilser plain and simple.

I have a Brew Bag, worked great for the last 40 5 gallon batches. You do have to be careful to tie the bag to the outside of the kettle so it won't fall in when you add the grains.

After about 40 batches there is quite a lot of wear and tear on the brew bag, seams are perfect but there is quite a few small tears on the bottom. I may be able to use it for a couple batches more but I will need to order a new one. Might make it a Wilser bag to try them out, shipping and the dollar exchange rate to Canada are quite steep for both options though...

there is quite a lot of wear and tear on the brew bag, seams are perfect but there is quite a few small tears on the bottom.

Might make it a Wilser bag to try them out...

For the small cuts or holes on the bottom of your bag, I would take a close look at what you are using to stir the mash. I think a metal paddle or large metal whisk can actually damage a bag if someone forcefully contacts the bottom of the pot. What I think happens is the small tiny fibers of the poly voile are crushed and a rip or small hole develops at this spot. Stir carefully, don't aggressively contact the bottom with the paddle. My guess is some get all manly with their mash paddle and are banging the bottom of the pot, smashing the tiny strands of polyester.

Just a guess, as I have no other clue how this can happen.

Properly used and cared for, a bag should almost last indefinitely.....

I have never seen any signs of wear and tear on my personal bags.

Ps I recently reduced my up charge for Canadian shipping from $10 to $5.....

I have a Brew Bag that I use to line a Coleman Xtreme cooler mash tun as a mash filter vs BIAB. I strike, mash in, run off to a boil kettle, lift the bag to drip dry, put it back in the cooler, batch sparge, run off, and lift to drip dry again. Using the bag raised my brew house efficiency into the low 80(s) consistently. I have to reduce most recipe grain bills to keep from brewing everything at "imperial" strength. I get more extract volume from the same strike and sparge water to the point that I had to reduce there as well. It makes cleanup quick and easy and the spent grain is drier for my neighbor who raises chickens. Overall great product.

I am sure the Wilser bag is equally as good but I've not used one.

Anyone know of a non synthetic option? I am looking to switch to brew in a bag or basket and for cost reasons I would love bag if there are non poly option.

Back