Wilserbrewerbags vs The Brew Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the 4 "handles" on the brew bag which would make using a pulley that much easier. Has anyone had experience with The Brew Bag?
No experience with the Brew Bag, but being able to pull and lock the drawstring around the top of my kettle on my Wilserbrewer seem like more of an advantage. Keeps the sides of the bag from being drawn into the pot. Maybe not a problem. I don't know.

+1 for Wilserbrewer. Additionally, I've been squeezing the heck out of mine and the seams have been holding well. :D

(No experience with Brew Bag either though.)

+1 for wilser.

Similar material, the main difference is in the handle. I have a grand slam package, thanks wilser! And have never had any issues with the pulley working with the draw string or wrapped around the end of the bag which is actually better as it distributes the tension throughout the bag.

In general it seems like HBT is mostly in support of wilser, while r/ home brewing is mostly I'm favor of thebrewbag.

i was hesitant at first to order a Wilser but I sure as hell don't regret it. Great bags and the handles are strong. I actually know a stupid ass that brewed a 25 gallon batch with one!!

Got 2 Wilsner's and won't even look at another one but if you brew alot, its not a bad idea to get an extra bag as a back up so you can get both and use the one you like the best and keep the 2nd for a brewmergency.

I got three Wilser bags for my different pots and love them all. Excellent quality and great fits.
I never used a Brew Bag so not sure about it but I will say the Wilser bag is so ideal I wouldn't want to change.

Get a Wilser bag. You won't be replacing it any time soon, unless you buy a different kettle, in which case you'll want to buy another. And you cannot fit enough grain in it to make those seams come apart.

Another +1 for Wilserbrewer bags. I have done over 50 batches in my bag, squeezing each time, and it is still going strong. Don't know anything about the other one.

This is like deja vu, I think we already did this before...lol

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=571687

If price matters, wilserbrewer is 25% to 35% less expensive depending on what you order, and even less during one of our sales...

What the heck, I will offer 2 kettle bags for $36 shipped, half price of the Brew Bag today only, please PM for details. (bags may be different sizes) Int. shipping $10 add.

Other value offers available, see details about today's one day sale....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7491854#post7491854

I have one brewbag and ordered today a Wilser Bag. The seams on my brew bag were becoming a little stretched because of excessive squeezing, so less seams (2 instead of 4) may be better. It's a quality bag, but don't squeeze either one like I did :)
617BREn.jpg

This is like deja vu, I think we already did this before...lol

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=571687

If price matters, wilserbrewer is 25% to 35% less expensive depending on what you order, and even less during one of our sales...

What the heck, I will offer 2 kettle bags for $36 shipped, half price of the Brew Bag today only, please PM for details. (bags may be different sizes) Int. shipping $10 add.

Other value offers available, see details about today's one day sale....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7491854#post7491854

I couldn't pass up that deal. Thanks for the awesome price!

With all the reviews on this forum about these bags, I had to order one! I am just getting into BIAB but I might as well start with quality equipment! Went with the grand slam package!

+1 Wisler...just did my first brew with one Saturday
The drawstring giving you the ability to tighten around the kettle is much nicer than having you use clips. I use a pulley to hold suspended and squeeze ...works great

I use The Brew Bag, I like the strap loops for lifting and transporting. I lift my bag out of the kettle with a rope and pulley, then I let it hang over the kettle while I squeeze. I have brewed 10 to 15 batches with the bag and it seams to be holding up well.

i use the brew bag, i like the strap loops for lifting and transporting. I lift my bag out of the kettle with a rope and pulley, then i let it hang over the kettle while i squeeze. I have brewed 10 to 15 batches with the bag and it seams to be holding up well.

+1

I've been using TheBrewBag in my keg and it seems to work fine. I occasionally manage to flood the bag if I've got a "sticky" mash, but I suspect that would happen with any bag.

Next time through I'll order from @wilserbrewer just to get a comparison, but I figure there are quite a few batches left in the bag I have.

I've used the brew bag since I started BIAB, the handles are what made my decision. I did the same thing, just using a pulley and attaching it straight to the loops. I've since started using a steamer basket drop in with my Bayou, and now the handles don't really offer any advantage. Plus the way the seams are stitched with the nylon straps, I was always getting little bits of grain in the folds and had a really hard time cleaning it completely. On my last batch, I noticed a rip starting in the bottom and decided I needed something else.

I just got my Wilser bag in, and I really like it so far. The drawstring fits around the top of my kettle so much better than the Brew Bag and clips. I also picked up some hop socks to replace the paint strainer bags I've been using. So far, I'm impressed and can't wait to brew with them.

+1 for wilser.

Similar material, the main difference is in the handle. I have a grand slam package, thanks wilser! And have never had any issues with the pulley working with the draw string or wrapped around the end of the bag which is actually better as it distributes the tension throughout the bag.

In general it seems like HBT is mostly in support of wilser, while r/ home brewing is mostly I'm favor of thebrewbag.

what is a r/ home brewing?

I can make a direct comparison. My first BIAB bag was a Brew Bag. I purchased it specifically because of the handles and because I got a really good 25%-off deal with free shipping. It lasted me about 15 brews before it started developing runs and holes from stirring the mash. Then I ordered a Wilserbrewer bag. I've used it in my last 17 batches and it looks like the day I took it out of the package. The drawstring is far more useful to me than the handles on the Brew Bag were, as I actually mash-in-a-bag in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid drink cooler in a modified version of a traditional Three Tier setup because that is what works best for me. It holds the bag in place better while I'm mashing in versus the bungee cords I was using with the Brew Bag.

Bought a cheap bag for my first BIAB. After reading the reviews, I'm going to try a Wilserbrewer for the next one :mug:

I'll throw my vote in for wilserbrewer. I have two of his grand slam packages - one for my keggle and one for my smaller, stove top batches. They work very well in both applications.

Additionally, I have contacted wilserbrewer several times with questions and he always responds quickly.

I haven't ever used a brewbag.

Bought a cheap bag for my first BIAB. After reading the reviews, I'm going to try a Wilserbrewer for the next one :mug:

You won't regret it. I started BIAB with one of those paint strainer bags--it wasn't a fun experience. The Wilserbrewer bag is sooo much easier to deal with.

Interesting. Never heard a website mentioned in such a generic way. I'll have to check it out.

It's a sub forum on reddit. It's... Sometimes strange. Some folks there are redditors first and homebrewers second. You'll figure it out after a week or two there, but there seems to be a bit of a hivemind controlling the site as a whole. Overall though, it can be helpful sometimes.

Have one of each, favor the Wilserbags. Especially with the drawstring, it makes it easier to tie up the bag if you use a pulley system.

I got a brew bag so far it has been fine about 12 batches ran with it. I do see a couple spots where the fabric is damaged from stirring the mash and smashing it with the spoon. Never had any problem cleaning grain out, just let it completely dry and give it a really good shake outside.
I would buy a Wilserbrewerbag if I am still brewing BIAB when my current bag needs to be replaced.

Had to chime in here. I used brew bags for years and I really like the product. However, I burnt a brand new bag because I forgot it was in my new kettle basket suspended several feet over my new kab burner...dumba$s me! I contacted Rex to request a quote on a custom bag that would accommodate the basket in my new 20 gallon setup and got an incredibly condescending response. I waited a couple of days to cool down and think about how to frame my response and tell him how pissed I was. To be fair he asked me to call him, we had a decent conversation and cleared things up, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to give him any more of my money.
Fast forward and I have been hanging out on HBT more again and just keep seeing great reviews about Wilser's bags so I emailed him this morning about a custom order. I received an almost immediate response (on a Sunday!), a great quote, and a friendly exchange. Mike, consider my order placed! Going to measure my kettles right now!

I did a lot of research about BIAB before I ever tried it as my foray into all grain brewing. So I came across the Brew Bag and bookmarked it, but started with a generic bag from More Beer. As I defined my particular stove top process, my research tended to settle here at HBT where I found that many people used and really highly rated the Wilserbrewer bag. In addition, I found that Mike Wilser himself was an active participant in the BIAB discussions here and offered good advice and counsel. I find his product to be excellent, his customer service to be spot on and his brewing knowledge to be a huge plus. I think we have 5 bags ... one for each of three different sized kettles and 2 that we use for cold brewing coffee in a little mobile coffee house that we run. I have no basis for comparing - never had a Brew Bag. But I know that the Wilser bag is top notch.

My experience with the Brew Bag has not been the greatest. I have used 3 separate bags. 1 developed small holes from light use (no snags). The second one completely split at the seams when I was squeezing, this being its first use as well. The third has only been used once, but I am not all that optimistic it will hold up given my experience.

I went ahead and ordered a Wilser bag as back up. Few seams in the bag compared to the Brew Bag. This will likely reduce any splitting. I haven't used it, but when I compared side by side, I think this one will hold up longer.

My experience with both Wilser and the Brew Bag guys has been completely positive.

I'll report back should there be any additional updates worth mentioning.

Cheers,

I have used both bags and Wilser's bag is way better than Brew Bag. One of things I really like is the tapered bottom. If you are using a kegel the hole in the top is smaller than the dia of the kettle.With a bag dose have not that taper when you pull the bag and squeeze the bag it runs down the out side of the kettle making a big mess. The straps on brew bag just get in the way.

+1 for Wilser
+1 for no experience with Brew Bag

Seriously, Wilser's product is impressive, his service is impeccable, and his prices are frankly too low. The only reason I've ever had to replace a big is for a kettle upgrade.

+1 for Wilser

+1 for no experience with Brew Bag

Seriously, Wilser's product is impressive, his service is impeccable, and his prices are frankly too low. The only reason I've ever had to replace a big is for a kettle upgrade.

I second this statement! I have no experience with the Brew Bag but I've been impressed with my Wilser bag and ordered a new one for my new kettle.

Both his product and service at A+ and I would highly recommend it!!!

Finally got a chance to give my new Wilserbrew bags a test drive and I absolutely LOVE them! Brewed a Helles today and there was almost zero crap in the kettle to mess with the plate chiller or make it to the fermenter. Nice, leisurely, uneventful brew day!

I own a Brew Bag that fits in my 10g cooler. Never had an issue, even when stirring the hell out of my mash. Still looks about new after over 20 batches. I bought it because he is local to me. I'll pick up a Wilserbrew next time, if the deal is right, and give it a go. The drawstring could be better than bungee cords. Lol!

I was fortunate enough to be "gifted" a bag by Wilser himself so maybe I'm biased, but I've used the bag on my last two batches and frankly I'm not interested in any other product. It's incredibly well sewed, fits my kettle like a glass slipper and because the mesh is so fine it's easy to clean as well.

Pick up a wilserbag and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Back