Willamette hops, spicy and earthy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhog

Reaction score
I was looking for a non noble hop with spicy and earthy qualities, came across Willamette but I’ve never used it before. Going to use it in a bohemian lager. What do you all think of Willamette hops? Any other non noble spicy/earthy hop recommendations?

One of my favorites. I think you will like it in your lager.

I'm not sophisticated enough to identify all the nuances of the flavors, all I can say is I love the flavor of Willamette in lagers and ales. It adds to the malt flavors while providing bittering.

Yep, I'd say you're on the right path with willamette. I use it in cream ales and pseudo American lagers. I'd throw Palisade in as another option. I'm a fan of it in lagers/clean ales, but it might get you into a more herbal/grass category.

I think I wouldn't call it "spicy". I remember the hop pellets to have a very pleasant floral, fruity fragrance, which didn't really come through in the beer too much. "Earthy" seems a more fitting descriptor. I think it's one of those hops which you wouldn't want to be the center of your beer, but they do a fantastic job in a supporting role. Loved it in a porter, for example.

Willamette is closely related to Fuggles, the English noble hop. More earthy/grassy than spicy and I find Willamette slightly metallic. Bohemian pilsner would traditionally use Saaz which is spicy and earthy. I don't quite understand why you are trying to reinvent the wheel here.

I think it's one of those hops which you wouldn't want to be the center of your beer, but they do a fantastic job in a supporting role. Loved it in a porter, for example.
I'm not sure how you mean that. Not as the only aroma hop? Or not as the main feature of a beer, i.e. good in a malty beer where hops are secondary?

Willamette is closely related to Fuggles, the English noble hop. More earthy/grassy than spicy and I find Willamette slightly metallic. Bohemian pilsner would traditionally use Saaz which is spicy and earthy. I don't quite understand why you are trying to reinvent the wheel here.
Until they make a law against breaking tradition, I will reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for the support fellas! If you have any more ideas feel free to send them my way!

Willamette was bred specifically for lagers. It was the most grown American aroma hop until Anheuser Busch was sold in 2007. Then the new owners cut contracts and replaced a lot of the American crop with European hops they already had under contract; Willamette was largely replaced with varieties like Strisselspalt. I like Willamette in lagers. I often use it in a blend. As a finishing hop all on its own, it can come off a bit fruitier than the more herbal and spicy European "noble" types. But I think you'll like your beer. Only one way to find out.

Until they make a law against breaking tradition, I will reinvent the wheel.

Nothing wrong with that but since you called the beer a Bohemian Pils it won't be without the hops of the region. You can put in any hop you want. I'm not partial to Willamette but some older American lagers (CAP, Pre-Prhoibition types) had hop profiles and IBUs in the same range as Old World Czech and German pilsners. Using an old American variety like Cluster as a bittering hop and a British or German flavor hop was common.

Nothing wrong with that but since you called the beer a Bohemian Pils it won't be without the hops of the region. You can put in any hop you want. I'm not partial to Willamette but some older American lagers (CAP, Pre-Prhoibition types) had hop profiles and IBUs in the same range as Old World Czech and German pilsners. Using an old American variety like Cluster as a bittering hop and a British or German flavor hop was common.
There’s actually a lot more I’m doing to it that would disqualify it, but that is the closest style what I’m making. Just giving context to my question.

Proposition: All Pilsner is Bohemian. It varies from brewery to brewery even across the street let alone across the world depending on local contingencies. Discuss. No, don't.

Back