will this work for my ebuild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanigan

Reaction score
so this is my first post here and most likely not the last.
i'm im making plans to convert my HLT to electric and ad a digital temp probe into my mash ton while keeping the boil kettle on propane.

please let me know what you guys think, or what i can improve to make this as safe and efective as possible.
thanks.

imbedded the images for better viewing pleasure

tumblr_m839qnsYKk1rcitsko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m839lqebWe1rcitsko1_1280.jpg

So I've done a little more research and realized the drawing I bastardized from PJ is not going to work. I'm essentially trying to incorporate a main power switch modeled after Kal's design to power one heating 5500 heating element in my HLT with a monitor for my mash temp and a emergency kill switch from PJ's schematics.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ok so i think i figured it out here are my updated schematics again PJ i hope i didn't bastardize this on as much.

tumblr_m8g8idUH251rcitsko1_500.jpg

also here is my existing propane build works good and is compact but i just want the control of the electric hlt and eventually herms:

tumblr_m850e9iO3A1rcitsko1_500.jpg

already started to amass som parts for my build (ass-uming my latest electrical schematics are good). here's my updated mashtun:
tumblr_m8501eOdn61rcitsko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m8500gt80Z1rcitsko1_500.jpg

new paint jobs:
tumblr_m850nv4Bwa1rcitsko1_500.jpg

parts coming in:
tumblr_m8g7qneClf1rcitsko1_500.jpg

i'm also order this box for my control panel:
http://store.solutionsdirectonline....re-with-hinged-screw-cover-12x10x6-p8186.aspx

chanigan,

I see you have been on the forum for a few years and I got to catch your first 2 posts. I feel honored and want to welcome you into the conversations.

I had a heck of a time trying to really see your drawing because of its size on the site.
I got around that issue and resized and then modified the drawing so that it will work for you. I used your same drawing & file name as it was posted and added "-L" at the end of the name.

I sure hope this helps.

Click the link:> tumblr_m839qnsYKk1rcitsko1_500-L.jpg

hey p-j this is great!
thanks for the welcome. i know i've been looking around on this forum for a while now, and i think it's about time i share some of my adventures in brewing.
im happy to see this schematic confirms what i'm looking to do.
i do however have one question for ya, as far as the 1ohm 1w resistors is there a method on how many there should be?

The easiest way is to take the 2 resistors and make a Western Union Splice between them:

Western_Union_splice.jpg

After that, do the same with 2 pieces of wire, one to each end. It's a good idea to solder the connections as well.
Next step is to slide a piece of shrink tubing over them and shrink it.

Hope this makes sense.

P_J

---
as far as the 1ohm 1w resistors is there a method on how many there should be?

I blew it.!!!

I had it in my head what the resistor are and I didn't catch what you asked until I just reread the thread.

Sorry. The resistor are 1K ohm 1W. That is 1000 ohms 1W resistors. Or if you can find a single 2000 ohm resistor it would be great as well.

The design is to wire it to trip the GFCI circuit breaker with a small leakage current of about 0.06 Amps.

Now I know why you asked how many of them you needed.

So sorry.

P-J

Back