Will this work as a basic stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripkings

Reaction score
I'm making 3 gal batches and scaling down recipes that already have small additions is a problem because I'd have to buy all my grains separate and then wind up with many tiny bits of things left over.

So I'm wondering if there is anything glaringly wrong with a malt bill something like this:

6# two row
1# Chocolate malt
1# crystal 120
1# oats

I'm thinking proportionally as it will that much chocolate or Crystal be an issue.

I will add some coffee in primary and and bottling and I'm also thinking about adding chocolate but my main concern is if the above looks ok as a basic stout malt bill.

Does it look ok?

It will be more of a Porter than a stout. A stout really needs roasted/black barley.As you said, you wouldn't need all of the chocolate or C120, but I would say 12oz chocolate and 8oz C120 would give you something quite drinkable.

you could always split up the specialty grains. Like use .5 lbs for the whole mash and maybe throw in the other .5lbs towards the end just to get the color out.

What would happen if you added coffee and chocolate syrup (boiled, then cooled) into secondary for more flavor. Coffee flavor might get scrubbed by yeast in primary (guessing here). What yeast are you planning on using?

Coffee and Chocolate flavors from the grain will not be scrubbed out by the yeast. They are such potent flavors that it isn't something you should worry about. Looking at any commercial example should actually give you a good idea about how well those dark flavors persist in beer. It is the light flavors, like light fruit, apricot, peach, etc. that tend to be scrubbed. The flavors from the gain itself will almost always persist.

Sounds great! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Finally got a chance to brew this one today.

I could not find crystal 120 so I subbed coffee malt. My gravity came out to 1.065...I thought it would be a little higher but I'll take 1.065.

This is my first stout and the darkest beer I've ever brewed.. It's jet black and looks freaking beautiful in the carboy! I've got my hopes up.

Smelled very stout-ish in my whole apartment. :)

I didn't taste it...I normally don't taste it until bottling. Mainly because the hops are so fresh/suspended that they overpower.

I made this for a friend as dark styles normally aren't my go to thing but I gotta say.....I'm pretty jazzed about this batch. I've got high hopes for it.

Latest posts

Back