Will this do the job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorDisaster

Reaction score
Hey guys. I wqnt to make a country wine, 2 gallon in 2 1 gallon demijohns, using 2kg of mixed frozen fruit at the following ratio:

Blackberry (25%),Cherry (25%) ,Strawberry (20%) ,Raspberry (10%) ,Redcurrant (10%) ,Blackcurrant (10%)

Plus 500g frozen blueberries. (and cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and maybe v.pod but none in large ammounts.

Can i whack the lot in straining bags in a plastic 3gallon bucket with lid and pour on boiling sugar water then leave it a few days?

I dont have any juicers or presses so macceration is all i can do.

pectic enzyme would be nice but you could do as you said. I don't think you need to pour boiling sugar water over it, not that it would hurt but i don't think its needed. you should freeze and thaw your fruit and adding yeast nutrient would also be nice. you really should add one crushed campden tablet per gallon of must to cull any bacteria or wild yeasts. make sure to wait at least 24hrs after adding the campden before adding your yeast. I learned that lesson the hard way. also don't close the bucket lid, just lay it on and cover with a clean kitchen towel. you'll need to stir the wine at least once a day and make sure to keep the fruit wet from the wine so no good place for mold growth is present.

Ok awesome i can add all those things.
Are you sure the water dont need be boiling? Will cold water extract enough juice? And will it be enough to skip the sugar? Im looking for full body and fairly high alc.
Do i remove fruit before pitching?
Sorry, all those questions just flooded out!

Oh and how long till i rack to the demi johns? Is that when i fill to the top?
I am sorry about all the questions lol.

read DangerDaves Dragon'sBlood recipe. even if you don't follow his ingredients it will explain the procedure. http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/dangerdaves-dragon-blood-wine-41825/

basically you'll leave the fruit in the fermenter and squeeze the juice from the mesh bag just before you stir everyday. once you hit about 1.030 you take out the fruit and snap down the lid and airlock. the thread I linked to will explain it all. he doesn't do the campden, I got that from Yoopers HardLemonade thread.

Back