Will this batch Carb OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Well I just moved my maple porter to secondary.. according to my readings I only got like 60% Attenuation.. it is way sweeter than I expected.. so I figure my yeast pooped out.. but now the real question.. will I still be able to carb them in the bottle or should I add more yeast... and if I do will that overcarb them?? I used a Brit Ale Liquid yeast and tho this isn't the first time I have used a liquid yeast.. it is the first time I had some problems, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were some issues with the yeast..

Any one have any thoughts or ideas?? I don't have the exact recipe with me as I am at work but I can post it later when I get home if that would help

Did you make a starter? what was your OG? If you have anything with 1.045 or higher you will need to make a starter using liquid yeast. I always do no matter what. If you did make a starter, what temp did you ferment at? If you got too cold then you could stall fermentation. I would pitch some more yeast and get you FG lower.

No, adding more yeast will NOT cause your beer to overcarb... BUT the fact that you already have so much residual sugar in there could. Id add some yeast, rouse it up, make sure it is warm (which I am sure is not a problem in mid summer) and see if I can get the FG lower. Otherwise I would only feel comfortable carbing it in a keg where the pressure can be controlled. I have a buddy that made a Gonzo Porter and it ended up REALLY sweet, and they are all gushers as well... try to get that sugar out of there.

POL

Yeah there is alot of left over sugar, I did make a starter for my liquid yeast but I had some problems and don't think it got off to as good of a start as it could have (mainly the starter was way smaller than I had wanted) I used Brit Ale II from Wyeast..
My next question is, If I add more yeast (which I figured I would) what yeast should I use?? some dry yeast maybe?? and then just wait for it to stop fermenting, maybe re-rack to another carboy and then bottle??

Thanks again all, this is the first time I have hit a snag like this.. don't want my beer to go belly up.. hehe

SpamDog

Add some dry yeast. That is the best way, if you rack you will kill the fermentation for sure. How long has the beer been fermenting? Give it two weeks, if you haven't before you get nervous. You will save this batch yet.

Ok, I looked at my paperwork, my corrected OG was 1.105 and my corrected FG was 1.052 so like 50% Attenuation. The Brit ale says it should be like 75%. However, I was down to atleast 1 blip ever 3 min (I timed for 3 min and saw 0 blips) So I decided to rack. It did ferment for almost 2 weeks before I moved it (13 days)
I do have a package of Nottingham dry yeast that I could add, see if I can get the FG down some. I would like to be in the 1.020's somewhere and then get it to carb up nice.

Any thoughts, other than make a killer starter next time I try something like this??

SpamDog

ok.. well I added the dry yeast to my batch... it is fermenting somewhat, but very slowly.. I am going to take a SG reading in the next day or so to see how it is doing... here is hoping.. If this doesn't work I think my only option is to get my CO2 tank and attachments for my kegging setup. Tho then I have to figure out how to share the batch with my buddy that helped me make it

SpamDog

Latest posts

Back