Will my beer quality be better upgrading to HERMS/RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndinh

Reaction score
I've been using a 10g igloo for about a year now and it's been fine, efficiency...ehh....SG.....sometimes hit it.....beer....always good to me. As with most of you, I'm itching to upgrade so I'm thinking of going to a HERMS setup (new MT and drilling out my BK). Has anyone regretted with the upgrade or will I be super happy with throwing down the cash for this. My igloo holds temp fine (+/-1). Also, since my stand has a middle burner, is that only used for a RIMS setup (direct fire)? Thanks.

First I must say that "better" beer isn't really a guaranteed result of circulating mash systems. However, your ability to control consistency is increased, and you have the further ability to step/ramp mash if you so choose. I, for one, have noticed an increase in consistency and quality in my beers, and in no way regret the upgrade. It was a fun project, too.

I went nuts with this hobby, sinking thousands into an electric "Kal clone" system (google it if that doesn't sound familiar). I love it. Its a HERMS system. That being said, I would say the biggest improvement to my beer came from a $40 o2 regulator and aeration wand, and the $100 or so I spent on building a fermentation chamber out of an old chest freezer and temp controller. That and proper yeast handling and pitching.

The HERMS/RIMS system will help, but mostly with consistency. If you're looking to improve your beer for the most "bang for your buck" and haven't tried what I mentioned above... maybe go that route first.

I went nuts with this hobby, sinking thousands into an electric "Kal clone" system (google it if that doesn't sound familiar). I love it. Its a HERMS system. That being said, I would say the biggest improvement to my beer came from a $40 o2 regulator and aeration wand, and the $100 or so I spent on building a fermentation chamber out of an old chest freezer and temp controller. That and proper yeast handling and pitching.

The HERMS/RIMS system will help, but mostly with consistency. If you're looking to improve your beer for the most "bang for your buck" and haven't tried what I mentioned above... maybe go that route first.

I'm considering moving to a RIMS system myself (I really want to start doing stepped mashes and my DIY steam infusion system isn't quite perfect), but the above quote is without a doubt 100% accurate. I went from brewing drinkable beer to winning contests once I had precise temp control, direct O2 injection and proper pitching rates.

It won't make your beer better. It might make your batches more consistent.

Back