Will Lagering Get Remove Diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaglerBC

Reaction score
I love butterscotch, just not in my most recent Pilsner. I made a starter, let it ferment, gradually brought it up the beer up to 68 for a d-res of 7 days. Gradually brought it down. Clarified with gelatin. Just pulled a sample and I have a butterscotch Pilsner. Yuck. Will letting this sit at 35 degrees for a month or so did it? Thanks.

Excuse the title, haven't even had a homebrew yet. Although I sure hope there is a solution to get remove Diacetyl

Yeast will metabolize it if they are warm enough. You may need to resuspend the yeast and bring it back up to 65 or so for a while while they do the job. I'm surprised they didn't handle it the first time though.

Lagering won't really get rid of it as far as I know.

Thanks for the input. I'm so surprised as I did such a long drest. Because I finned with gelatin will there be enough yeast left to clean up? I washed some of the yeast, should I repitch into the keg and bring up to 65?

Thanks for the input. I'm so surprised as I did such a long drest. Because I finned with gelatin will there be enough yeast left to clean up? I washed some of the yeast, should I repitch into the keg and bring up to 65?

You can give it a try but not sure it will help all that much. I'm curious, what strain did you use and at what temp did you ferment?

Back