will I have enough yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuips

Reaction score
I plan to make a larger beer today should be in the 1.075 range. I made a 1L starter on Sunday night because I only had 1cup of DME left. This is only my second time making a starter so I am wondering if I will be OK, of if I should make a larger starter to get more yeast? (I was hoping to brew today)
Thanks

well according to that I needed a 2.6L starter... so I guess I need to make a larger starter and that I can not brew today.

WHat are the chances that my 1L starter will be enough?

well according to that I needed a 2.6L starter... so I guess I need to make a larger starter and that I can not brew today.

WHat are the chances that my 1L starter will be enough?

I try to pitch enough yeast for every brew- BUT sometimes I've had to underpitch. Sometimes it's because of an impromptu brewday, or for other reasons.

It is not the best practice, but I would probably go ahead and use the 1L starter and cross my fingers.

If you need a 2.6L starter and you have a 1L starter, then you're pitching about 38% of the amount of yeast you need. Do you have an oxygen pump? If you can probably oxygenate the wort, then you might be ok, but I would make a bigger starter.

thanks for the advice, I decided to use my small yeast starter to make a larger yeast starter. (I bought some more DME). Will a yeast starter stay indefinitely if refrigerated?

Back