will bottle conditioning help fight off effects of oxygenation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutcase

Reaction score
While transfering my imperial IPA to a keg hops and yeast clogged the autosiphon and in my effort to get all the beer i pumped a little (read a lot) too much and ended up oxygenating the hell out of my beer :(. I mean- ALOT of BIG oxygen bubbles through the beer damit. Instead of keg conditioning I'm now thinking of bottle conditioning it in the effort to fight off some of those effects. Am i totally screwed or would this help at all? I was planning on aging this beer for at least 4 months.

More than likely pumping the heck out of your beer DIDN'T over oxygenate it.....I really wouldn't add anything to it.

It takes a lot of splashing and other things to do any damage to our beer, someone on basic brewing years ago, (Palmer, or Chris Colby of BYO) said that in order to truly provide enough O2 to oxydize our beers it would take pumping and entire one of our red oxygen bottle/airstones into our beer AFTER fermentation is complete.

Most of the splashing intentional or accidental that we do in the course of our brewing will not harm it...Including pumping with your auto siphon...

I know I've done it on numerous occasions...in fact if you look at this thread, especially my initial post in it, I mention that I've done it, to no detrimental effect...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

And beside Oxygenation damage isn't immediate anyway, most of us would have our beer drunk long before it would happen.

So I would just relax and leave your beer alone...it is much hardier that you think it is.

:mug:

awesome. I'll probably just bottle it anyways to make sure. That and the fact that an IIPA on tap is always quite dangerous. But thanks for making me feel better about it revvy.

Back