Will ale yeast pollute wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora_colony_cider

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to set up a cidery in a local winery. I want to use Nottingham yeast for at least one style of the three I will be producing initially.

The winery are a little concerned that the ale yeast might overpower their wine yeasts which will be in the same building.

Is this a founded fear, or will my yeast stay within the confines of my cider?

Thanks.

R.

What's the fear, exactly? That it will fly through the air? Or are you sharing fermenters or presses or something with them?

Wine yeasts are way more aggressive than beer yeast and have a much higher ABV tolerance.
I would be more worried about wine yeast getting into my cider as they will completely dry it out.

Are they making wine farmhouse style in open vats using a local wild yeast? If so their worry may founded.
If they are using commercial strands then they have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for all the replies.

They are using commercial yeasts. I am not sharing fermenters with them or presses, just filters and bottling equipment - my fermenters and brite tank will be used by me exclusively.

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

PS ONG, thanks for that Chowswap link.

Back