Wild Yeast - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrstud

Reaction score
Hello:

Been brewing for a couple years with 40+ batches under my belt.
Recently moved to all grain. On Monday I did a double batch with a friend. This was the first time doing a double all grain and my mash tun was too small. As a result my efficiency was way down. The plan was to let the wort cool over night while the yeast starter was going. I come home Tuesday from work and measure the OG and found we were too low. I didn't have any DME on hand to raise it and the LHBS was already closed. Chilled the yeast starter for the night. Fast forward to today and I'm about to add DME to correct the OG. One bucket is good but the second one had a yeast cake already on top. This is my first ever problem (that I am aware of) of poor sanitation. This is now 42 hours since boil finish

So, I have boiled a little wort from the good bucket and added the DME to raise the OG. Going to pitch the yeast tonight.

But what do I do for the one with the wild yeast. I figure it might be best to just leave it. I will boil up some of its wort to add the DME to. I'll let that chill and add back to the bucket.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It’s impossible to say what you have in the second fermentor. It could be in both fermentors as well.

Did you mill grain in the area? If so it could be lacto from the grain dust.

It’s a toss up as to adding yeast to the second batch. I doubt I’d waste the yeast or the DME on the second batch. I’d probably just let it ride and see what you get. You could give it a sniff, check ph or taste a bit and see if you notice anything.

It may be you have a spontaneous kettle sour in the second fermentor.

One never knows what the result might be when wildlife gets involved.
Could be a non-reproducible batch of awesomeness, could be an epic fail.

While I haven't had a similar experience I agree with the "don't invest anything and just let it ride" philosophy, with fingers crossed.
And hope the other half is unaffected...

Cheers!

Back