Wild Yeast Infection and Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhlfrty

Reaction score
Recently I accidentally infected a Pale Ale with wild yeast (due to poor sanitation of a fruit addition). Not a huge deal, lessons learned, didn't waste much time/money on it.

Around the same time I purchased a corny keg and kegerator set up but had to replace all of the beer and gas lines. My next brew wasn't going to be ready for a few weeks, so I figured I could use the infected batch to balance my keg.

Since then I have had TONS of issues, took to the forums to seek advice, and followed the steps pretty carefully. My initial issues were diagnosed as "overcarbed beer" and incorrect line ID and length. Since then I have, released all pressure from the keg, used the set/forget method to recarb, and attempted to balance my setup using some software (Currently I'm using approximately 4' of 3/16 ID tube in a standard sized mini fridge, 11-12 PSI, and a serving temp at around 38 degrees).

Unfortunately I am still pouring ALL foam but getting flat tasting beer. In addition, I recently opened one of the bottles from the same brew and I am getting an extremely carbonated beer, but with very little body. It was as if I was drinking beer flavored seltzer water from a bottle.

So my question: Have I still not perfected my keg setup, or is beer infected by wild yeast known to have these issues with carbonating?? Want to sort this out quick since I should be moving a double IPA to the keg over the weekend.

Thanks!

Back