wild uk hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miraculix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow brewers,

I was cycling today a few kilometers through the fields to find some wild hops and after half an hour, jackpot. I found so much hops, I gathered two plastic bags of it. They smell like saaz or hallertauer mittelfrüh (noble, not even a hint of grapefruit) and the Cones vary in size from very large to small.

I wanna dedicate one or two brews only to this hops, an ale for sure and maybe a stout or similar with some late additions.

What would you guys guess as the alpha content? I would probably assume it is on the lower side like maybe 2 or 3% ?

I don't know... What do the experts here say about this?
IMG-20180905-WA0014.jpeg
IMG-20180905-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20180905-WA0020.jpeg
IMG-20180905-WA0018.jpeg
IMG-20180905-WA0024.jpeg

Awesome find!

I'd be tempted to make a few hop teas to test for flavor, then brew using a "neutral" bittering hop like magnum and use these for flavor/aroma additions

Awesome find!

I'd be tempted to make a few hop teas to test for flavor, then brew using a "neutral" bittering hop like magnum and use these for flavor/aroma additions
That's a good idea with the tea. I will boil 1g in 1l and compare it to 1g saaz with only 2.3% in 1l to see if they are similar.

Good find! And a useful reminder that in the UK at least, it's worth looking out for wild hops.

Just thinking about where they might have come from - I don't know much about the Berkshire hop industry but in general there's been very little commercial growing outside the main Kent-Hampshire strip and Hereford & Worcester (plus a bit around Nottingham back in the day) - like a couple of dozen acres in the whole of the rest of the country. Might have been a bit in Berks in the heyday of the late 19th century, but it wouldn't have lasted long. However this 1813 survey suggests that there had been "considerable quantities" in Berkshire in the 18th century "and now grow naturally in the hedges in many places"- presumably improving transport links allowed Kent/Hereford to kill off the local trade, whilst the population needed for harvesting got sucked into the towns.

So, we're probably looking at very old 18th century landrace-type varieties rather than anything more modern. So expect low alpha.

It can be quite difficult to identify hops by cone shape and leaf, but the colour of the mature bines is useful. The ones you're looking out for are green bines with red mottling or red pinstripes - Goldings - and green bines with red leaf stalks, which are almost certainly Fuggles. However, the one on the gate looks a pretty obvious red bine. Traditionally they were very much considered the second-line, "quantity over quality" hop - a typical example is the Tolhurst I brewed with earlier this year, although that wasn't selected until the 1880s. The USDA's sample of Tolhurst came in at 2.2% alpha, although if you read the old Wye annual reports they seem to come in at about 4%. This is perhaps the definitive report on brewing with Tolhurst.

So don't get your hopes up! :) Bearing in mind that I was using 2017 hops which across the UK was not a great year thanks to the dull summer (this year should be more citrussy), Tolhurst cones smelt nice and citrussy on the rub, but just rather disappeared in the beer. Historically they did have some use where a preservative effect was needed from their high betas, without too much of a flavour contribution. So things like milds and Victorian porters; I guess they could be used for eg lambics. But you're welcome to try them in a SMaSH just to see what they're like? Or just use them as decoration....

Usual comments about green hops apply - if you're going to use them as green hops, then use them within hours, the unique flavours go off really quickly. And since the USP of green hops is all the volatile compounds that normally get destroyed by the heat of drying, you get the most out of them from using them as whirlpool/dry hops, never mind the uncertainty you have with alpha. But hey, they were free, so do as you will.

They look like maybe, maybe english hops, but most wild hops taste like garlic/onion and this is from personal exprience. The beer will come off really garlicky/oniony. Summit and Mosaic will feeel like little babies. :):):)

They look like maybe, maybe english hops, but most wild hops taste like garlic/onion and this is from personal exprience. The beer will come off really garlicky/oniony. Summit and Mosaic will feeel like little babies. :):):)
From what I have read, this taste develops in all hops when they are harvested too late due to chemical changes. So I think you might just have been too late!

Don't forget that there's no truly "wild" hops in the UK, they're all escapees from farmed varieties - albeit generally from farming in the 18th and 19th century when the state of the art in hop breeding was more "selected landrace" than the highly-bred varieties we have now.

In general, UK wild hops are OK to brew with, but tend to be a bit boring unless you get lucky with some wild Goldings etc. As M says, onion/garlic is 70-80% dependent on harvest time, and the milder climate of a British September means we have a somewhat broader harvest interval than some places.

I agree. I may be been too long on harvesting those, but the beers were not that all bad, but I drank them quite young, so the onion/garlik flavours have been too pronounced... Anyway, it will be a great experiment.

@Northern_Brewer

Found some hops in the middle of Thatcham, growing between a private propertie and a park. They seem to be a different variety as they are not even close to being ready to harvest. Not much lupulin visible, do not feel "papery" and not much smell after rubbing at all. BUT I made some bad mobile pictures of the bines.

What do you think could it be?

K1024_IMG_20180916_193259.JPG
K1024_IMG_20180916_193259.JPG
K1024_IMG_20180916_193308.JPG
K1024_IMG_20180916_193315.JPG

The only way to be certain is DNA testing. Hops can be quite variable, so mostly it's just a question of experience. As I said above, the two to look out for are green bines with red leaf stalks which are almost certainly Fuggles, and green bines with red speckles or pinstripes which are usually Goldings. Rubbing cones when ripe is also another important pointer, but only has a narrow time window.

If they're wild then they will have grown from seed so won't be a true variety in any case.

The only way to be certain is DNA testing. Hops can be quite variable, so mostly it's just a question of experience. As I said above, the two to look out for are green bines with red leaf stalks which are almost certainly Fuggles, and green bines with red speckles or pinstripes which are usually Goldings. Rubbing cones when ripe is also another important pointer, but only has a narrow time window.

If they're wild then they will have grown from seed so won't be a true variety in any case.
Yes, it will be a wild mix of everything. I will brew a 9l smash with the collected wild hops and chevallier and a nice British yeast as soon as my spelt stout experiment is in the bottle. In the meantime I will continue checking on the wild hops from the park. There are a lot of fields and hedges connected to this area, I'll bet I find more hops there.

I recently visited my dad in Hamburg, he lives in the city and had wild hops covering the hedges in front of his door. They are also spreading through the neighborhood. Interesting to see! In the middle of one of the biggest cities of Germany.

I went to the park hops again yesterday and managed to get hold of a few ripe cones. The rub smelled really good, like something you want to have in your beer, there was a good amount of lupulin visible inside the cone and the bines had clearly red stripes on it. I guess there might be something nice involved with this one . However, it mainly grows over a private fence, higher than 2m with the big cones on top of it. So no chance to get a decent amount without trespassing. Anyway, they also look good.

Back