Wild hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slbradley01

Reaction score
I discovered a huge wild hop patch here on the South Shore of MA. Certainly much more than anybody could pick in a week. Send me a pm if you are interested in the location. I would assume they are just about ready to pick although I haven't been over that way in about 3 weeks. I have my own hop garden I am harvesting right now. Hope to get about 5 lbs of dry leaf. Then I'll try and get some of the wild ones.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409537307.774990.jpg

Three weeks ago, looked like this

Did you happen to notice any male plants around at all? Guesses as to how large of an area this was within?

alane1, if you stop by there....

The plants are left side of the road. Easy to spot. I noticed them in the spring, before there were any flowers. Went back a few week ago and they were loaded. Not sure if there were any male plants. The plants grew up the marsh grass, about eight feet high. They cover an area about 50 feet long along the road. Not sure how deep into the marsh they extend.

The plants are left side of the road. Easy to spot. I noticed them in the spring, before there were any flowers. Went back a few week ago and they were loaded. Not sure if there were any male plants. The plants grew up the marsh grass, about eight feet high. They cover an area about 50 feet long along the road. Not sure how deep into the marsh they extend.

If you recover any seeds, feel free to pass them around to us breeder-types. We're always up for a game of chance!

Seeds or rhizomes, which is better?

In my mind, both. Seeds give you new starting material to work with, rhizomes give you a clonal sample, which given enough time can either be improved upon or used for what it is.

Just a reminder, that this plant has been scavenging on whatever resources are available for whatever period of time. In order to truly classify it, it needs to be provided the same treatment as other hops within the same environment. Just because it does poorly in one environment doesn't mean it won't excel in another.

Fact of life.

Would it be usefull to collect rhizomes this time of year. I am under the impression they are only replanted in the spring.

Would it be usefull to collect rhizomes this time of year. I am under the impression they are only replanted in the spring.

You can do fall harvesting of rhizomes, though it's generally better to do whole plants in the fall.

The concern about planting in the fall is the rhizome needs to form both a root system and shoots to provide carbohydrates for the growing roots. With only a ~month left in the season, it will be difficult for the plant to both focus on growing and going dormant in preparation for winter.

The concern is alleviated when planting with a whole plant, as you have the aforementioned needs already, and the plant will just work on adjusting to it's surroundings.

So, really it becomes a matter of choice. If you have a way to overwinter (grow) the rhizome through until spring you'll be set, but otherwise I'd wait until spring to harvest and replant to its final spot.

But seeds you can harvest in the fall from those cones, if there are any...

Back in the late 80's while working outside of Rochester,NY, I spotted some wild hops along the roadside growing in a hedgerow (the cones were what caught my attention) so it had to be about this time of year. I followed a vine back to the ground and gently lifted a chunk of rhizome about 10 inches long which was buried in a corn field across from our cottage. The following spring it was replanted in a different location and took right off. If you can wait another week or so I don't think you'll have to worry about the rhizomes trying to sprout as the plant (including rhizomes) are pretty much going into dormant mode at this point. The beauty of planting at this time of year is that they will slowly establish new roots, so grab a few now and go back next spring just to make sure.

Back in the late 80's while working outside of Rochester,NY, I spotted some wild hops along the roadside growing in a hedgerow (the cones were what caught my attention) so it had to be about this time of year.

Any chance you still remember this spot? :D

Best I can remember is that it was out near Hamlin on a North-South road and they were on the West side of the road.

I stopped by the spot today. Absolutely loaded with hop. Probably 20-30 lbs dried, if you picked them all. I pulled down enough to get a few pounds. Very fragrant. Healthy, no bugs, 1-1/2" -2" cones, didn't see any seeds. Ready to be picked. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409761921.410938.jpg

Back