Wild hops in Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look promising. I checked four different taxonomic texts listing vascular plant species in Texas and none list Humulus. These are very exhaustive texts and would likely mention wild or introduced hop species. I talked to two old time plant guys, who have been native plant hunters for 30+ years, they said they had never seen Humulus, but did agree that it might be possible to find escaped cultivated hops in old Czech/German communities in the central part of the state. I have another couple of plant taxonomist/native plant fanatics/hunters/ in San Antonio that I'll contact. Of course, an internet search gives reference to hops in Texas, but no direct citations as to when/where it was found. The search continues....

I would bet that there are none. I planted 4 different types which were listed as the best for heat conditions. Even with irrigation my plants struggled. I went out of town for five days and the sprinklers didn't go off. They were all but dead. I nursed them back to life with tons of water but they never fully recovered. My largest plant cascade only grew about 4 feet. Based on what I know of soil and rain fall. I don't believe that place exists in Texas. But if you find any post it here so I can go get some too!

Subscribing as I am interested in this. I own a brewery and I really want to get my hands on some for an all Texas beer.

I'm from Corpus as well, there's a guy in the local homebrew club that got some commercial rhizomes to do ok for a couple of years, but like LarMoeCur said lots of heavy pampering, and the outcome was mediocre at best.

But I haven't seen or heard of anyone coming across wild hops in the area.

Doesn't look promising. I checked four different taxonomic texts listing vascular plant species in Texas and none list Humulus. These are very exhaustive texts and would likely mention wild or introduced hop species. I talked to two old time plant guys, who have been native plant hunters for 30+ years, they said they had never seen Humulus, but did agree that it might be possible to find escaped cultivated hops in old Czech/German communities in the central part of the state. I have another couple of plant taxonomist/native plant fanatics/hunters/ in San Antonio that I'll contact. Of course, an internet search gives reference to hops in Texas, but no direct citations as to when/where it was found. The search continues....

I think you're right. If they were in TX, they'd be in those areas south of Austin that were heavily settled by the Czech/Germans. I've never seen any sign of them when passing through that area.

In Wisconsin, just driving along the highways, you'll see them growing over old barns all over the place. They are pretty invasive and feral hops grow randomly in many places in the midwest.

I always thought that with our strong German influence, that surely there would be some hope somewhere. That said, maybe they tried and they never could grow well enough here to get established.

hops grow best in temperate regions & unfortunately (as many hobby hop farmers have found) do not do well in the subtropical climate we have here.
I won't say that they can't grow here just that it isn't easy for them. too much heat at too low an altitude with too many pests & diseases too, I think.
I do wish you all the luck in finding some & or growing your own.

I feel your pain. No hops in Alaska either. And, Alaska is 2 1/2 times the size of Texas. We should have more hops than you. Oh, it's that long winter thing we have. Never mind. There's no hops to be seen, move along.
Cheers

Last edited:
Still haven't heard back from the central Texas plant hunters, but AkTom may be correct, nothing to see here....just too damn hot and dry!

Found this article on the range of endemic/natural Humulus in N. America. Be careful not to drink and read unless you are a plant taxonomist, you have been warned....

http://brit.org/webfm_send/1616

My Neomexicana hops are really thriving this year. They've had a much higher yield than my C hop plants in their first year.

IMG_0075[2].jpg

Back