wild grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
So i have a beer i just brewed that i am going to sour.I have grapes in the backyard that have a nice distinctive white powdering on them. My question is.With a sour will it hurt to get some of that wild yeast in?Of course there is other bacteria/what ever on the grapes, but if this is going to get a sour blend anyway am i risking loosing this beer?
what do you guys say?
Do it its sour anyway!
or
Don't risk it. " It's not worth waiting 6 months to see if your beer sucks."

50 views and not one person with an opinion?
i went with it...cause im not boring.

So you are sure that white powder was not left by the birds?

Unless we have a botanist that has studied grapes among us, it is a guess as to what the white powder is. That makes it hard to have an opinion. But glad to see you went forward, experimentation is at least part of why most of us home brew.

I recently brewed a beer using a sour dough starter for yeast just to see what would happen. Let us know the results.

I have studied/sold plants for close to 10 years and that is what i was taught years ago.But i am in no means a botanist who studied grapes. I do how ever have access to a compound microscope that can take pictures.The fermentation took off really quick because it got a tiny bit saison yeast that was kept in a freshly dumped jar or roslaire yeast along with about 12 grapes+Florence dregs that came from hillfarmstead that day. My gravity was 1.056 and i sour mashed the beer for 12 hours at 120F with the same grapes in the mashtun.

I belive that you are correct about the white residue on fruit being wild yeast. It happens most obvious on darker smooth fruits like grapes, blueberries, plums etc. I think you'll be just fine. The only real worry is that you can't be sure what flavors you'll get and if it's awesome you probably won't be able to replicate it . on the other hand it sounds like it will be tasty. Keep us updated.

Back