Wild fermentation with Grocery store Apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacandagabrewing

Reaction score
So I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this but I figured i would ask anyway.

I have about 20# of grocery store apples that I’m going to juice and turn into hard cider. I was thinking about potentially letting wild yeast do all the work but I wasn’t sure if grocery store apples were treated or not. I figured they had so much stuff on them that it wouldn’t be a good fermentation but I still may give it a shot just to see:rock: any answers are always appreciated

My 2 cents: Even if the apples are treated, I don't think the natural yeast inside is dead, but even if it was, you can still try a wild ferment, I guess the yeast in your environment would "find" the apple juice.

My son has harvested wild yeast from a single apple. Just put the skins in a mason jar and cover with sugar water. When that starts to ferment dump the liquid in a starter. So all you need to do is find one apple still on a tree!

I have used FAJC with store bought apples that the wife wanted to do a pie with. A week or so later it started to ferment.

Back