Wilco Rosé wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halleyelec

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster but have been trawling the forum for great ideas for weeks.

I've only been wine making for about two weeks and have made a drinkable Winebuddy Cab Sauv and I'm slowly working up to (next payday!!) a decent wine kit.

Anyway....as it appears I've become a little obsessed, I bought a Wilko Rosé to tide me over until said payday.

The problem I have is that 72 hours into demijohn fermentation, my kitchen has a slight smell of eggs which I understand is SO2. I'm paniking that Ive done something wrong, however, I have been clinically sterile along the way. I did have to swap the yeast as I didn't check the Rosé kit before starting - and Ive just realised it's "gervin ale yeast" that I chucked in.....arrgghh!

Am I just worrying for nothing or do I have a dumper?

I appreciate that the search function is a great tool to use but I can't find an answer.

Your advice would be fantastic

Anthony

There are a number of reasons why yeast produces hydrogen sulfide and one reason is stress. There are a couple of quick and dirty solutions and these include:
1. Whipping air into your must. At 72 hours since pitching the yeast the must will not be harmed by the introduction of air. To the contrary, there may be insufficient oxygen in the must for the yeast to reproduce. The water you used may be oxygen poor.
2. Hydrogen sulfide will react with copper in a way that will remove the smell. If you can get hold of copper wire wool (for scouring pots) I would tie or fix a scrubber to the end of your racking siphon and rack the wine over the copper wire into a clean and sanitized (does not need to be "sterile" ) carboy. That should help remove much of the smell.
3. As you rack , I would allow the wine to run down the inside walls of the target carboy - this is another way of introducing air into the wine and helping the SO2 leave.
Now, I have never made wines from a kit but I have some questions about why a kit that purports to produce a 12% ABV wine would use a beer yeast. Sounds like a recipe for disaster... But to each its own..

Now, I have never made wines from a kit but I have some questions about why a kit that purports to produce a 12% ABV wine would use a beer yeast. Sounds like a recipe for disaster... But to each its own..

No,sorry I should have explained in more detail but I was trying to post from a phone.

I bought the Wilko kit and when I got it home I noticed that it didn't have the yeast in the pack so I went back and 'thought' I picked up a wine yeast but it wasn't after all - I now put it down to too much excitement,not checking and re-checking everything before going ahead with it and being rushed by my wife to get to her parents 40th anniversary!

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I will have a go and let it be a lesson learned if it has to go down the drain.

Latest posts

Back