Silly question about a wine kit that i’d forgotten about :-s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I was clearing out our spare room yesterday and realised that I’d started a wine kit last year and forgotten all about it!
The kit is a Beaverdale 6 bottle white wine. I stated fermenting it and then left it as it is - it’s in a glass demijohn with an airlock. I still have the sachets of stabiliser, kieselsol and chitosan (in other words, I’ve not used them).

I wrote the date on the on the instructions when I started it.....it says “7th August 2017”!!! ....so it’s been left for ten months....I’m wondering if it’s still any good??
It’s completely clear, but quite dark...the same colour as tea with no milk.

Could it have gone off without the stabiliser or will the alcohol have preserved it?

I've only been making wine from kits for three years so others will possibly know better. You don't say if it is a red or a white though that probably doesn't matter. If it is the color of tea, i.e. brown'ish then it is highly probable that it has oxidized quite badly - surely the airlock dried out - and won't be fit to drink. The stabilizer aids in keeping wines from oxidizing. I say, taste it, if it is good to you stabilize it and bottle. The kieselsol and chitosan are for clarifying but time does the same thing so they wouldn't be needed.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back