Wiki Error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaithe

Reaction score
Is any one else un-able to view the wiki? I keep getting a "Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information." message instead of wiki pages...Thanks and sorry if I put this in the wrong section...

Well... It seems to be a problem for lots of people.... I'd fix it if I could... Would be really nice to have a well organized wiki. :D

Y'all need to make sure all your drivers are up to date. Windows update doesn't automatically search for them,just security related program updates. Driver search is manually done,which totally sucks if you're not a programmer.
So I got Driver Tools,but have to wait till retiree payday to pay the one time fee. It first identifies your computer,then searches for missing drivers & those that need updating & gives a very detailed report.
There are different levels of drivers-those that recognize devices plugged into USB for example. Then the one that knows how & where to search for the driver that knows what to do with the particular device. I learned that from reading the list provided for drivers needed & those that are ok. It uses green checkmarks & red x's for good & bad ones. Which,of course,includes drivers used in processing page requests & the like on these forums. Can't wait for tomorrow So I can get cigs pickin up my son from work,then get the new drivers so,hopefully,I can use Firefox once more!!!:rockin:

I get the same error message that Slaithe reported. Something is screwy.

glenn514:mug:

I've never seen the WIKI. I have always gotten this message:

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

Malware steals drivers & other bits of programming that makes things work. To say you don't need them is foolish & uninformed. I haven't programmed in more than 20 years,so I know next to nothing about this new stuff.
As I said,I need it cause sites that have updates don't tell you what they're for or which ones you need if your comp's doing X. So these programs are very quick & directly to the point. No more trying to figure out EXACTLY what's missing. It does it all in no time flat. And the Gateway disc doesn't allow you to search for X either. so I'm pretty well stuck without some sure fire way to get new drivers,since windows update DOESN"T!!!!!

Beleive me,I've been through this. It can be a sight server error. But in my case,it wasn't. Windows update doesn't search for all the updates your particular version may need,depending on the make & model of your computer.
And drivers have to be searched manually,or windows online service,which you have to pay for anyway,since it's proprietary,licensed software.

...To say you don't need them is foolish & uninformed....

Windows update doesn't search for all the updates your particular version may need,depending on the make & model of your computer.
And drivers have to be searched manually,or windows online service,which you have to pay for anyway,since it's proprietary,licensed software.

Who is uninformed here?

Windows update doesn't function the way most folks think it does. I had to go back through & re-load some drivers manually. Then hitmanpro found some drivers & kids programs with tricky lil malware executables. Gone now. So it's not quite always an easy fix & one def has to learn a lot of system functions to ensure things get dowloaded & properly installed. so I'm quite a bit more informed now as to what windows does & doesn't.It's been a real eye opener.
But as I said/intended,things are not always as they seem to be & I hate to be insulting. But to infer that the old fart doesn't know what he's talking about is just plain wrong. I've been around this block for some 30 years & it ain't gettin any easier. So I try to help with what I find NOW that seems to work or help the situation.:mug:

Unionrdr, please stop. Your shameless advertising of uneaded software is unwelcome in my thread. No one needs it, and it sounds like nothing more then malware that pretends to be anti-viral/malware/spam/system recovery software. So please stop pushing it...

There are plenty of trusted and proven companies making excellent security and recovery suites like avg, trend micro, comodo, etc.

You're not helping any one and said your peace. Now please stop trying to sell every that product. Thank you.

This server error is a common problem, and intermittent... so admins or whoom ever started the wiki side of the site needs to take a look at that part of the server... if it's even hosted on the same server... I have no idea how it's set up. And don't pretend to.

Every other wiki and web sight I visit works just fine... and so does every purge part of this site I have tried clicking... except the wiki... the wiki is a wonderfull idea and needs lots of work... but most people are lucky just to view ab page or two if it. wish I knew about wiki software, I'd love to help! I can't tell you how meny wikis out the are almost unbelievably helpful and informative... I can only hope the same for this site.

Thanks every one else for staying on topic and reporting thier honest experiences with trying to access the wiki.

I agree, the "driver" pack sounds like malware. I do information security for a living and there is no need for such a product.

The problem indeed sounds like it is server side.

Well,from what I saw today & before,the server does have problems. But as for my end,some parts of the programing were outdated & wnidows couldn't update the drivers. that's all it was for me. Sorry if it's caused an uroar,as that was not my intention. And I have nothing to do with any of the software companies involved. But for me,it was part of the problem on my end. These things do happen,but I guess I didn't say it right. Just suggested other possible faults. And the wiki site irself works fine for me...

I'm a lot like Mr Scot in this regard. thiis video describes my feelings on the subject;
[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Rv2wZrj-0"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Rv2wZrj-0[/ame]

what operating systems and browsers ar you using?

I am win8 with Chrome and it works fine

Back