Wifey needs recipe to win competition...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have a winning recipe idea, but bitter with the Columbus and do the flavor/aroma with Fuggles...

Who is doing the judging? If it is ladies also, then I'd suggest the Liberty. I haven't yet tried it in an Ale, but I like it in a light lager. It is a little floral and fruity.

We have a recipe database, and there are some really nice beers in there. I really like IPAs, and brew my DFH 60 minute clone all the time. My california common is not what you're looking for, but won second in a homebrew contest (against an American Lite pilsner of all things!).

I think we've answered that we have a large number of IPAs in the recipe database, and I've typed my recipe all out there. If you look there, you'll see them. I don't feel like typing it out again, if you can't even click the link.

I have no doubt that, when you ask for opinions, you do so with the best intentions. However, part of competing is selecting your recipe on your own. That may be why you have received few opinions.

If you have some specific questions about some specific ideas you may have, then you may receive more enthusiastic responses.

TL

You are killing me..

I don't want the entire recipe here, I am not a moron, I can find the recipe on the site. In fact, I have probably already read it a time or two. I am simply asking for the NAME of YOUR favorite IPA homebrew.

Not that hard of a question. I understand if you don't feel like answering. But just pointing me to an entire list is clearly not what I am asking for!
Take it easy, man. She DID give you her favorite - the DFH 60 clone. Then she pointed you to a good resource. DO NOT start attacking folks with good intentions.

Look at Lake Walk Pale Ale (I know it doesn't have IPA in the title. It's an IPA).

There was another point to what I was trying to say. The "list" of recipes has a ratings system. So, if someone has brewed it, they can rate it with stars. So, many of the recipes are rated as "five stars" for example. Just because some aren't rated doesn't mean they aren't good of course- just not yet rated. But, if you look at the list and see a recipe with a good rating, and lots of feedback, it might help.

It wasn't that I didn't feel like answering- I did answer, twice! But I would encourage you to look over the "hot ones" for yourself.

My $0.02?

It's a worthless endeavor to brew specifically to win a competition (unless you're The Pope). Tell us what kinds of IPAs she likes to drink, and we can lead you in the direction of a recipe that's a good representation of that style.

You haven't told us a real basic - English or American-style. Some people like sweeter IPAs like the DFH clones; some people, like me, prefer IPAs with drier finishes (which is usually considered a bit more to-style). Personally, I love making IPAs with a strong malt backbone (but not too sweet), which I do with a lot of Munich malt (look at my Murder In The Red Barn recipe) - but that can make it a bit too dark for style.

Just saying "Give me a great IPA!" doesn't really give us enough guidance, there are lots of subtle (and not-so-subtle) differences between the different examples.

But fundamentally, have her brew an IPA in the vein that SHE likes, brew it well, and let the judgment comes down as it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back