wife wishes it was bigger (my brew pot)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
I’m starting brewing beer after taking 2 years off and instead was brewing wine and hard cider. I realized I need a new brew pot I think that is what it is called? - it’s a big ass pot). My old pot was warped at the bottom and shakes and looks like it is possessed during boil. My wife is scared it will boil over and wishes it was bigger.

I can’t remember how big I should get my last one barley held enough with a few inches of room during boil.

What size is normally used? Does anyone have any recommendations (preferably via Amazon and free shipping, and under $80 if possible)

I do 5 gallon batches, extract.

Or a 15 gallon and not worry about the spray bottle.
I use a 12 and have to creep up on the boil.

If you think you will never do all grain and you do top up water with your extract brews you could go with a smaller pot like 8 gal. If you do stove top brewing you also need to make sure the pot will fit on your stove.

This one might work and should not warp, only slightly over your budget.
https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Gallo...s=3+ply+bottom+32+quart&qid=1569820423&sr=8-3

I have made a few 5gal all grain batches in an 8gal pot but you really have to watch it, 10gal is a better size for a 5gal full volume boil.

If you do only extract, you don't need a huge pot at all, as you don't boil the wort. I made plenty of extract beers with a just big enough pot to dissolve the LME and DME in just enough hot water to properly mix it. 5 gal batches were done easily in a 2.5 gal pot.

My old pot was warped at the bottom and shakes and looks like it is possessed during boil. My wife is scared it will boil over and wishes it was bigger.
I do 5 gallon batches, extract.
Sounds like you are doing stove top brewing using a smooth top range?
I use 7.5 gallon Tall Boy pot I got from Northern Brewer. You want a pot that is taller than it is wide. I have a cheaper Bayou Classic pot that would shake when warming up for the boil, but would be ok once I got it warmed up.
The NB pot has heavy, three layer bottom and it doesn't shake when I use it on my smooth top stove.
Many people use 10 gallon pots for 5 gallon brews, but my opinion is that a 10 gallon pot is too large for stovetop brewing.
I can do a 5 gallon batch, but I usually scale back recipes and just make 4 gallons, and then I can use my 5 gallon better bottle carboys for fermentation.
Some people on here despise Northern Brewer for some reason, but you can find similar pots at More Beer.
Get on Northern Brewer's E-mail list, they have 20% every now and then and free shipping.
Edit:
I just went to the NB website and it looks like they don't sell the Tall Boy kettles anymore.
Here is a similar size kettle, but I can't recommenced it because it doesn't have the heavy duty bottom:
https://www.homebrewing.org/8-Gallo...MIs4O1s5_45AIVi4bACh2UJw0JEAQYAiABEgKqg_D_BwE

Here's a good pot I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Northern-Bre...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Latest posts

Back