Wicked Weed Serenity Bottle Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked with Luke and Ryan bit, apparently Medora Blackberry Raspberry Sour (which kicked before I got to try it unfortunately) is on deck for the Royal Cache series, and Malice will be coming out some time this summer too. The sour tasting room is slated for a late July or early August opening. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to some of those and see you guys there next time.

I really should have grabbed some accommodations last night at the last minute and just gotten shitfaced at WW. There were a ton of beers I wanted to try I didn't get around to, plus I would have gone for more pours of Menage-A-Freak. Only made it half-way home before I was too tired to keep driving and slept in my car at a rest area.

Medora is amazing, we got a pour of it earlier in the day. I'm excited to hear they will be bottling it. Did they happen to give a time frame JulianB ?

shelf_turd_ferguson As for the release is was really small. I was number 9 in line, which was really number 5 and they numbered into the 100s. The bottle sales were smooth and quick, and waitresses came out to the line to bring you beers while you waited. After like 2 minutes I had my cases and got pours of stuff. After a few pours, I bought more of the other sours and maybe around an hour I went straight to the front of the line and bought a few more oblivion and passiflora. Probably one of the best releases I've been to.

Can't remember an exact date but I get the impression some time this summer. A few things got jumbled together, like whether we were talking about a bottle release, the new tasting room opening, or both. Would be nice if the tasting room opening coincided with a sour bottle release there though. I also now remember a discussion about a barrel-aged barleywine being released at some point, which pleases me as it indicates they are going to be releasing bottles that aren't always sour/funky (not that I don't love those). Luke is really killing it with the barrel-aged strong ales now, both Imperial Cucumber and Dark Age were outstanding yesterday. Didn't get to try Empyrean (BA IIPA) but even though I don't usually like that style I bet it was pretty good.

I was hoping Medora would come out. ISO!
Probably be my only trade in July.

I have no idea what the initial turnout was like today, one of the other guys who was there this morning can possibly answer that. Given that it was Asheville Craft Beer week and there were a ton of limiteds on draft (Menage-A-Freak, Imperial Coolcumber, Dark Age, etc.) I figured it would be a zoo, but after a short wait to get in things were fairly mellow. Also, every bottle they've released so far was available, and in unlimited quantities. After checking with some friends on what they wanted, I walked out with:

x8 Oblivion
x8 Passiflora Blanc
x2 Indulgence
x3 Bretticent
x2 Genesis
x1 Serenity
All of them?!?

Sounds like a great, easy release.

I wish more hit distro and sat around longer in RDU. It tends to be super limited in these parts :(.

Btw, the bottles are cheaper if you buy them by the case. If you buy a case of the same bottle, you get 1 free. Buy 11 get 1 free essentially.

That is awesome that Medora is coming to bottles!

This weekend was my first time hitting up Wicked Weed. Loved the place so much that I went all three days we were in Asheville. Also, my first time going to one of there bottles releases and it I thought it was super well done. Line went fast and getting to enjoy their Menage-A-Freak while in line didn't hurt either.

I should mention that they handed out bracelets to people that showed up early so they could walk around/get food/do whatever. Once it hit around 11:45 they started getting people in order and made sure everyone was happy with their place in line. I really appreciate everything they did, including one of their employees who helped me carry my cases to the car since my GF was holding the dog.

The free pretzels and mustard as well! I will be back to the brewery for sure.

Wicked Weed is honestly one of my favorite breweries in the country for a bunch of reasons:

-The quality and variety of the beer. I'm a big fan of almost everything they do.

-The quality of the food is excellent. The trout sandwich is to die for, and those pan-seared brussels sprouts might be the best side ever.

-Walt, Luke, and Ryan are some of the nicest people I've met in the beer industry. Walt's given me a ton of advice on brewing sour beers and finishing saisons with brett. Also when my car broke down in Charlotte, he and Ryan gave me a ride between beer events they were hosting there.

-The space itself is really nicely done.

-Good service, well-organized releases, convenient and welcome freebies (pretzels and mustard, self-serve water tap, swag at some of the release events).

The only negatives:

-The place has become almost too much of a destination and somewhere to "be seen" so you end up waiting outside while it's full of polo shirt bros and their dates wearing 4 inch heels. Usually things are a bit better if you can get downstairs. I'm hoping the sour tasting room will be a bit less like that, given that it's not on Biltmore.

-Not enough men's rooms. They are hardly the first beer establishment to have this problem though.

I can't wait to go back again this summer.

Going to be in Asheville next weekend, 6/6-6/9. Does wicked weed usually have leftover bottles from the release for sale and are there even any?

If anyone will be in the area that weekend and wants to set up an IP trade, send me a message.

Going to be in Asheville next weekend, 6/6-6/9. Does wicked weed usually have leftover bottles from the release for sale and are there even any?

If anyone will be in the area that weekend and wants to set up an IP trade, send me a message.

They should have most of their bottles available at the brewery.

This past weekend they had nearly 10 bottles available including the 2 new ones released Sunday.

I love how Wicked Weed barrel-aged sours have been exponentially easier for me to get this year than Mexican Cake and Hopslam. Beer makes no sense sometimes.

Come to think of it I've drank from more bottles of BADL this year than Hopslam...

Last edited:
I'm praying wicked weed doesn't blow up, I really like the ease of getting great sours semi-regularly. It's funny JulianB , because I actually got 4 bottles of Mexican cake already and don't really care to trade or travel for anymore.

Rumor was that black angel was sold out a day or two ago. I think amorous is done as well. Other than that, you should be fine getting the other bottles.
Amorous was sold out as of Saturday I believe. They did still have Black Angel but don't think they had much so it running out this week makes sense.

ok, for those of you that have had the bottles, which ones should I ask Abby and Luke to bring with them when they come visit DE?

Black Angel, Oblivion, Passiflora, and Serenity would be my picks. Heard a rumor they bottled Malice this week; if so, definitely that too.

ok, for those of you that have had the bottles, which ones should I ask Abby and Luke to bring with them when they come visit DE?
Black Angel, Oblivion, Passiflora, and Serenity would be my picks. Heard a rumor they bottled Malice this week; if so, definitely that too.
I'd go this route, but would replace the Passiflora with Indulgence. I only had Passiflora on tap but it didn't really blow my mind. The smell is something crazy though, I just wished it tasted like that. Also, a few of my friends thought their bottles of Indulgence tasted like butter popcorn lol (mine was good). Hope that helps.

I'd go this route, but would replace the Passiflora with Indulgence. I only had Passiflora on tap but it didn't really blow my mind. The smell is something crazy though, I just wished it tasted like that. Also, a few of my friends thought their bottles of Indulgence tasted like butter popcorn lol (mine was good). Hope that helps.

I enjoyed the flavor of Passiflora Blanc, but especially liked how damn crushable it is. Honestly I could imagine sitting out on a sunny day at Wicked Weed and just slamming back one after the other all afternoon.

I enjoyed the flavor of Passiflora Blanc, but especially liked how damn crushable it is. Honestly I could imagine sitting out on a sunny day at Wicked Weed and just slamming back one after the other all afternoon.
I agree, it was super light and that was my favorite part. Maybe my taste buds were off because I already had a Menage, Pineapple Saison, Oblivion and Medora. On top of some really good food..lol

I agree, it was super light and that was my favorite part. Maybe my taste buds were off because I already had a Menage, Pineapple Saison, Oblivion and Medora. On top of some really good food..lol

I actually attacked things with somewhat of a plan. Saved Menage-A-Freak for last because I knew it would be a palate destroyer. Started with Coolcumber and Imperial Coolcumber since I wanted to try them side-by-side, then went to Passiflora, Mango Pineapple Saison (a bit disappointing, but mainly because I was hoping with that name it would be an orgasm in a glass or something), Dark Age, and finally Menage. Had the trout sandwich with the cabbage as a side. The food at WW is always killer. Heck, the ****ing free pretzels and spicy mustard are better than the entire menus at more than a few breweries.

I actually attacked things with somewhat of a plan. Saved Menage-A-Freak for last because I knew it would be a palate destroyer. Started with Coolcumber and Imperial Coolcumber since I wanted to try them side-by-side, then went to Passiflora, Mango Pineapple Saison (a bit disappointing, but mainly because I was hoping with that name it would be an orgasm in a glass or something), Dark Age, and finally Menage. Had the trout sandwich with the cabbage as a side. The food at WW is always killer. Heck, the ****ing free pretzels and spicy mustard are better than the entire menus at more than a few breweries.
Totally agree! I didn't really know what to expect on their tap list, since I haven't had a ton from WW other than the stuff that made it up to the RDU via growler or tap. I just got something quick that I wanted because of the initial rush. I also wasn't sure how long the GF would deal since we drove down their for just that. Luckily I stopped drinking though, or I wouldn't have made it home lol.

Totally agree! I didn't really know what to expect on their tap list, since I haven't had a ton from WW other than the stuff that made it up to the RDU via growler or tap. I just got something quick that I wanted because of the initial rush. I also wasn't sure how long the GF would deal since we drove down their for just that. Luckily I stopped drinking though, or I wouldn't have made it home lol.

I think we need to organize a TalkBeer Wicked Weed gathering for one of their events/bottle releases. Maybe the sour tasting room grand opening?

I'm down with enough forewarning. It would be awesome to have a day of just WW drinks and then another for a bottle share.

We practically had something like this for their anniversary weekend in December. Spent the day drinking at WW, then me, netdigger2, Skrypt, drinkblogrepeat, and a bunch of others bottle-shared at the Downtown Inn until everyone was hammered. We tried doing a bottle share at WW which Walt and Luke were cool with but apparently the managers told them it wouldn't fly with whatever the NC liquor control board is, so we shut it off. Did share a DDG and an '09 Consecration with Walt and Luke though.

We practically had something like this for their anniversary weekend in December. Spent the day drinking at WW, then me, netdigger2, Skrypt, drinkblogrepeat, and a bunch of others bottle-shared at the Downtown Inn until everyone was hammered. We tried doing a bottle share at WW which Walt and Luke were cool with but apparently the managers told them it wouldn't fly with whatever the NC liquor control board is, so we shut it off. Did share a DDG and an '09 Consecration with Walt and Luke though.
Let's hope we can meet up soon. I plan to be at BAMC and BASC, that's about the extent of my limited releases for the year. Any word on when the sour tasting room will be open?

Let's hope we can meet up soon. I plan to be at BAMC and BASC, that's about the extent of my limited releases for the year. Any word on when the sour tasting room will be open?

I'll be at BAMC too assuming it doesn't end up being something janky like a Wednesday afternoon or whatever, so hopefully we can meet up there.

Luke said they are aiming for end of July/early August for the sour tasting room. If it's after the first weekend in August I'll miss it because I'll be out in Oregon. I guess in that case I'll have to drown my tears in pours of De Garde. Woe is me...

Back