Why is my yeast going crazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
I bought one of the larger big mouth bubbler fermenters. I think it's 7gals.
I've fermented 5-6 batches in it already and it works well.
The last 2 batches have been literally exploding whereas the Krausen makes its way into the blow off tube and into my jar of star san.

Why does this happen? The only difference is that, with the last 2 batches, I've been making yeast starters with liquid yeast. The first few batches were just rehydrated dry yeast.
Could the yeast starter really have that much to do with that kind of activity?
ABV in all batches were around the 6% mark using 005.

Btw, I'm not complaining about the very active yeast, just wondering what's causing the difference for my own knowledge.

You may be pitching higher amount of yeast cells with your starters so the yeast can gobble up the sugars faster and thus produce higher krausen. Fermenting cooler will slow down this reaction so your krausen doesn't overflow. It also will limit the off flavors the yeast produce when fermented too warm.

05 always makes its way into my blowoff tubing. Its just a hard fermenting strain. If you fill to the shoulder on the bottle it is common to have this issue.

I bought one of the larger big mouth bubbler fermenters. I think it's 7gals.
I've fermented 5-6 batches in it already and it works well.
The last 2 batches have been literally exploding whereas the Krausen makes its way into the blow off tube and into my jar of star san.

Why does this happen? The only difference is that, with the last 2 batches, I've been making yeast starters with liquid yeast. The first few batches were just rehydrated dry yeast.
Could the yeast starter really have that much to do with that kind of activity?
ABV in all batches were around the 6% mark using 005.

Btw, I'm not complaining about the very active yeast, just wondering what's causing the difference for my own knowledge.
Do you have the "universal lid" with the seal rather than one that screws on? I have the same thing and need to duct tape the lid down. Also, my blow off container of star San looks just like the stout I brewed using a starter as well.

I think it's just the yeast strain. For me, WLP001 and Wyeast 1007 always go bonkers and get into the blowoff tube, even with temperature control and Fermcap. Other strains stay in check. It's weird. Just be ready with a blowoff tube and you'll be fine.

Different strains = different fermentations.
Different yeast ages = different fermentations.
Different pitch rates = different fermentations.
Different temperatures = different fermentations.
Different recipes = different fermentations.

Etc....

The yeast will do what the yeast will do......

Could be the yeast, could be the temperature, could be lack of headspace. Blowoff is not a sign of something wrong, that is why you have the blowoff tube.

Back