Why is my beer so dark!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhead22

Reaction score
Here is my recipe

4 ounces Pilsen malt
4 ounces white wheat malt
20 minutes at 150

3lbs bavarian wheat dme
3lbs golden light dme

1/2oz hallertau 60 min
1/2oz hallertau 0 min

1/2oz coriander 5 min (crushed)
1/4oz sweet orange peel 5 min
1/2oz bitter orange peel 5min

I really expected maybe a deep yellow.. I'm including a picture of what I ended up with. For my next brew how do I end up with a cloudy yellow?
image.jpg

This was during cool down. Even in a spoon it still looked pretty brown.

because you are looking through 5 gallons of it.

when it is done and in a glass it will be a lovely golden hue

That, plus the Bavarian, plus the hops, plus everything is all stirred up in it.

I recently made an American lager, which I have made before. Just like before, it looked brown like New Castle ale in the bucket. By the time I was drinking it, it was yellow.

When did you add the extract? Maybe you got a lot of darkening if the sugars burned or with increased Maillard reactions with early additions and a long boil.

It looks pretty dark even if taking into account looking through the volume.

What are the lovibond readings on the extracts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Some beers will lighten up a bit after fermentation. Right now there is probably trub and other crud floating in the bucket, when the yeast is done with it everything should settle down.

It's certainly related to the points already listed (you're looking through 5 gallons instead of 12oz, and it's cloudy with undissolved solids like hop particles and trub), but it also looks dark because it's in a BUCKET. Drink a beer out of a coffee mug sometime. No light goes through, so even miller lite would look pretty dark.

Even if it's darker than you want, that's cosmetic. If it tastes good, who cares.

Back