Why is Kombucha "wort" so weak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlkb1240

Reaction score
Hey All!

Why are most kombucha recipes amounts of tea halved? For example, a usual 1 gallon (16 cups) recipe calls for 8-10 tea bags. Why not 16 tea bags?

Just FYI I used 16 black tea bags in my last gallon brew to see what would happen because I'm a crazy homebrewer (of beer too!) and I like to experiment.

There is a balance between the yeast and the bacteria that shifts and changes with every batch. A weaker tea mixture encourages the bacteria more than the yeast. Too much yeast and the mix will sour faster before a richer flavoring can occur. Back tea encourages the yeast. Your scoby will also darken with fewer brews (not sure if that affects the overall health though).

In the end it is a matter if personal preference. I use 6 tea bags per gallon with the 1 cup of sugar or a bit less. I will be filtering my continuous brew to remove some of the yeast. I do not mind it having a bit less fizz to it.

There is material out there to give you a chance to skip some of the experimenting and expand your brewing expertise is areas of personal interest.

I started with this article and a few other books.

http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kombucha_balance/

There is a balance between the yeast and the bacteria that shifts and changes with every batch. A weaker tea mixture encourages the bacteria more than the yeast. Too much yeast and the mix will sour faster before a richer flavoring can occur. Back tea encourages the yeast. Your scoby will also darken with fewer brews (not sure if that affects the overall health though).

In the end it is a matter if personal preference. I use 6 tea bags per gallon with the 1 cup of sugar or a bit less. I will be filtering my continuous brew to remove some of the yeast. I do not mind it having a bit less fizz to it.

There is material out there to give you a chance to skip some of the experimenting and expand your brewing expertise is areas of personal interest.

I started with this article and a few other books.

http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kombucha_balance/

Awesome! Thanks for the answer and resource, Jim!

Back