Why does this kombucha recipe work for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey! I'm hoping some folks can problem solve with me.

I recently found out that I was using the wrong proportions in my kombucha recipe. I'd been making it this way for a while, going off memory rather than rechecking the recipe.
Proportions I was using:
16 c water
8 black tea bags
2 cups sugar
splash of vinegar
-- extended steep time (usually from water at boil to completely cool)
-- fermentation cycle typically around 72F give or take

I never had any issues with it and always had strong SCOBY growth and good flavor by around day 10. I brewed successfully with this for probably close to 2.5 or 3 years... However, I recently rechecked the original recipe and realized my huge error. I corrected my proportions and now I can't get any SCOBY growth.
Updated Proportions:
16 c water
4 black tea bags
1 cup sugar
-- 10 min steep time
-- Moved to a warmer room around 77F

What in the heck is going on?

Hey! I'm hoping some folks can problem solve with me.

I recently found out that I was using the wrong proportions in my kombucha recipe. I'd been making it this way for a while, going off memory rather than rechecking the recipe.
Proportions I was using:
16 c water
8 black tea bags
2 cups sugar
splash of vinegar
-- extended steep time (usually from water at boil to completely cool)
-- fermentation cycle typically around 72F give or take

I never had any issues with it and always had strong SCOBY growth and good flavor by around day 10. I brewed successfully with this for probably close to 2.5 or 3 years... However, I recently rechecked the original recipe and realized my huge error. I corrected my proportions and now I can't get any SCOBY growth.
Updated Proportions:
16 c water
4 black tea bags
1 cup sugar
-- 10 min steep time
-- Moved to a warmer room around 77F

What in the heck is going on?
Just a guess:: Your original scoby was probably not active or viable by the time you changed?

Back