Why is everyone only into IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a good (ok, great) IPA like most members but I brew many styles from America, the UK and Eastern Europe.

Man cannot live on IPA's alone..,

Read this tirade against Hoppy Beers, by a writer who has no expertise in craft beer at all.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...rness_is_ruining_craft_beer_s_reputation.html

maybe I would agree with anti-IPA stand, it is a bit out of control.
But with anti-IPA backlash, I am now forming anti-anti-IPA backlash-backlash. (AKA = Pro-IPA position).

My simple case - IPA and Double-IPA or imperial-IPA is the one beer that is authentically american (don't even mention english IPA, it's a very different beer altogether!). The explosion in the variety of hops available, many grown in US pacific northwest, is just amazing, and it's changing the craft beer forever - not just in US but around the world!

So IPA has now taken over the world and ignited a revolution of craft beer than spawned all kinds of styles.

You are welcome!

Saisons, barley wines, imperial stouts, bitters - would not get appreciation from general public they get now, if it wasn't for fascination with IPA.

IPA is basically the gateway drug that hits customers in the face with the hoppiness, makes those people fall in love with craft beer (compared to dull taste of BigBeer commercial selection) and leads them to discover other, wonderful beer styles that exist out there.

If you don't like IPAs - don't drink them. Problem solved. Order something else. But whatever you are drinking, you owe it to the IPA phenomena. Don't cut the branch you are sitting on.

I dig IPA's, for sure, but I equally like to drink, and brew, other styles as well. Having a nice hoppy beer on tap is always needed at my house. That's why I have more than 1 tap because a brown or a stout is also always needed. Variety is the spice of life. Brew and drink what you like. If it's only IPA's I guess that's cool; we all have our ole faithfuls. I pretty much only brew American styles of beer because that's what I like. I'll probably branch out one day but right now I'm pretty damn happy where I'm at and that feels really goooooooood :fro:

Amen bobeer. I love IPA's but I also love stouts, porters, wheats you get the idea. Life's too short to only drink one style of beer

Why does everyone worry about what others are into. I love IPAs, pale ales. I used to HATE them. I don't like most sours, but you'll never hear me complain about the trend.

I love IPA's but I like them to be balanced. I really love the new stone ruination that's how I prefer my IPA's balanced yet hoppy and slightly malty

Exactly. Stone knows how to make hoppy beers that don't taste like hop tea with a shot of vodka dropped in.

Patch62383 said:
Why are you doing a secondary?
Clairity

You're wasting your effort. The notion that racking to secondary improves clarity is an outdated myth. If anything, disturbing the beer midway through the process (i.e., racking to secondary) is detrimental to beer clarity, because particles that have fallen most of the way out of solution are now mixed evenly throughout, and must start falling out from the top all over again.

Not in my experience. The process of racking appears to encourage particulates to fall out of solution quickly. If you note the clarity in the undisturbed primary, rack, then note the clarity 15 minutes later, it is quite remarkable. I speculate it has to do with physical agitation but that comes at the price of potential o2 and contamination exposure so I just cold crash and wait longer instead.

Not in my experience. The process of racking appears to encourage particulates to fall out of solution quickly.

I'm unaware of any scientific explanation that could possibly support that theory. Why would particles precipitate out of solution faster by creating turbulence and disturbing the liquid?

In general over the last 3 years or so, Id say 50% or so of my homebrew have been some variation of an IPA. Right now on the other hand I currently have:
English Mild
Grapefruit sour
Dry hopped sour
4% porter
Lambic
Coconut black ipa
rum barrel aged RIS
Mulberry saison
Munich/Polaris smash
Nugget DIPA
Rum aged imperial brown ale
Golden sour
Soured coconut black saison
Hoppy Wheat
Northern Brewer hopped APA

So, while I still brew hoppy beers, I have vastly more variety than I used to. The only big styles I refrain from making are ambers/irish reds and most Belgians and German styles.

Wait, hops have different flavours? When I drink an IPA all I taste is being kicked in the face with hops. I can't tell the difference between one hop and another.

Which is mainly why I mostly brew stouts. Now, THERE'S a beer style I can use to live up to my own racial stereotype.

EDIT: I lied. I do remember tasting citrus hops in a beer I sampled on my latest trip to Ottawa.

yeah, that kick in the face is when hops are added early in the boil, the bittering hops period. you get more flavor from them when they are added later. i'm fairly new, but my recipes usually have no more than 1oz of hops in the begining, with a few ounces later on (15min and less).

That's like saying why is everyone into blonde women....they aren't. Your highlight real may include a heavy majority of them but a smokin hot brunette asking for some company will undoubtedly make the cut.

To think I almost blew this off as a same-old same-old IPA thread, but I stuck it out to find a nice shout out to the brunettes! Woohoo! Although...can a brunette still be smokin' if she's got some grey mixed in and is sporting a little beer belly? How would that change if she had an IPA in her hand?

Lack of explanation doesn't mean it's a myth offhand.

Fair enough, but it defies apparent logic and common sense, too. I'm always excited to learn something that looks counterintuitive on the face of it, but in this case, I'm not seeing any evidence to support the myth.

I have been brewing for about 2 years and I am currently getting into brewing with other people hopefully starting a club. I love love love IPA's don't get me wrong but I am so tired of everyone only brewing and wanting to brew IPA's. I am venting I just think its good to try something different and brew other styles to get your skills and pallet expanded.

IPA craze is a hipster thing.

I primarily drink lager, especially a lot of muenchener and doppelbock.

To think I almost blew this off as a same-old same-old IPA thread, but I stuck it out to find a nice shout out to the brunettes! Woohoo! Although...can a brunette still be smokin' if she's got some grey mixed in and is sporting a little beer belly? How would that change if she had an IPA in her hand?

ummm.. bonus points? :ban::mug:

Not in my experience. The process of racking appears to encourage particulates to fall out of solution quickly. If you note the clarity in the undisturbed primary, rack, then note the clarity 15 minutes later, it is quite remarkable. I speculate it has to do with physical agitation but that comes at the price of potential o2 and contamination exposure so I just cold crash and wait longer instead.

Fair enough, but it defies apparent logic and common sense, too. I'm always excited to learn something that looks counterintuitive on the face of it, but in this case, I'm not seeing any evidence to support the myth.

Primary fermenters typically have a decent amount of particulate attached to the side walls that sloughs and begins settling downwards while you rack, some being transferred to the secondary. Once you rack to the secondary, most of the particulate that was collected settles to the bottom, and only a small amount sticks to the sides, so when you rack to the keg/bucket you have reduced sediment when compared to packaging directly from primary. In the primary, there may also be some particulate suspended on the liquid surface through surface tension or by gas bubbles that gets resuspended/drops as you agitate the surface when racking. I don't think the final product will have less sediment in suspension one way or the other, but you will get the impression of better clarity in the secondary if you take visual note during both rackings.

The particulate stuck to the side of the primary also gives your eye the impression of cloudier beer. Once you rack to the secondary there is no longer particulate stuck to the walls.

My two cents on that.

IPA craze is a hipster thing.

This is my suspicion as well.

I’m willing to live and let live, but the problem is, the preponderance of “hip” IPAs impacts me in ways beyond the simple annoyance of having to look at rows and rows of hideous, unreadable labels on beers named with corny puns on the word “hops” when at the liquor store. Namely, the “uncool” stuff gets marginalized or removed from shelves altogether, and I lose in a very material way.

Just recently, one of my go-to dark beers—a malty brown number from here in Ontario called 10w30—disappeared from the liquor store shelves. I inquired with the manager and was told that they weren’t carrying the product anymore because it was “discontinued”. Coincidentally, this past weekend I was passing within a few km’s of the brewery that makes 10w30, so I stopped in. I told them about the “discontinued” story and they just rolled their eyes. The beer is still very much in production, I just can’t get it without traveling out of the city.

Well, at least there are 407 different IPAs on the shelf in town.

supply and demand. If those other 407 beers are selling better.. they deserve the shelf space more than a malty brown beer that you and maybe a few other people buy.

Primary fermenters typically have a decent amount of particulate attached to the side walls that sloughs and begins settling downwards while you rack, some being transferred to the secondary. Once you rack to the secondary, most of the particulate that was collected settles to the bottom, and only a small amount sticks to the sides, so when you rack to the keg/bucket you have reduced sediment when compared to packaging directly from primary.

That's the most plausible explanation I've seen yet, and one I hadn't considered. It even makes a degree of sense. :) Thanks, wardens.

Skip blondes and brunettes altogether, and go for the redheads.

Actually no, don't go for the redheads, there's a limited supply and I want them.

Latest posts

Back