Why is everyone only into IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And soon after 'Why is everyone only into talking about why everyone is only into armpits and balls"

Well, "men are pigs", so why not a pig-related thread, and we can beg for a pig emoticon...

:pig:

YEAH! ONE OF THESE THRADDDDS!

Also, pallet:

new_wooden_pallets.jpg

I have a more refined pallet...
Plastic-Pallet-Skid-3626-3FD83A.jpg
Technically these are both skids not pallets. :D

Technically these are both skids not pallets. :D

The dictionary begs to differ (and my previous experience in logistics and manufacturing).

pal·let2
ˈpalət/
noun
noun: pallet; plural noun: pallets
a portable platform on which goods can be moved, stacked, and stored, especially with the aid of a forklift.

Although, skid is not incorrect.

The dictionary begs to differ (and my previous experience in logistics and manufacturing).

pal·let2
ˈpalət/
noun
a portable platform on which goods can be moved, stacked, and stored, especially with the aid of a forklift.

So, now that we have cleared that up, have we come to a conclusion as to why everyone is only into IPA's? :ban:

pal·let2
ˈpalət/
noun

A Websters dictionary is too general. An industry definition is much more specific.

A skid has no bottom boards. A pallet has bottom boards. A pallet can be stored in cross-beam racks much more easily, whereas a skid can not (at least, not safely). Both are indeed used to transport materials, and both can be wood, metal, or plastic. Pallets are much better suited to double stack loads on each other, due to the bottom boards distributing the weight over a larger surface area.

So if I was going to sit up on a warehouse rack drinking a dark Cascadian Ale, I would do it while sitting on a pallet, not a skid.

I began home brewing around 1997 or so and went straight for IPAs and APAs, to the point of near exclusion for a decade. Why? Well, because the very first home-brew I had, back in 1994, was sooooo good, and I mean really good, that I absolutely did not believe it was a home-brew. I am not sure if it were an IPA or an APA but it had a hop aroma and flavor that just totally blew me away. It was better than an SNPA--which was my defacto "good beer" standard back then.

The goal with my home-brew was originally to recapture that first experience. Sadly, I have yet to do so. I did quickly learn that IPAs and APAs were an easy style to brew with a good amount of wiggle room for screw ups. A very simple grain bill (or single flavor of extract without specialty grain, even) and you don't really need any special yeast outside of a basic American ale strain, and, I am sure I will get flak for this, but you also do not need to worry about ferm temp control too much with an IPA as either the esters would be desired, tolerated, or simply covered up by the massive amounts of hops.

With that, plus the fact that the IPA style is ubiquitous--it is the one style that at least 90% of all craft brewers brew and has become synonymous with "craft beer"--it is the one style that is continuously talked about, written about, and so on in both brewing-centric and non-brewing centric media outlets. Essentially, it is the most accessible style of craft beer.... ....at least in the U.S. So, should it be a wonder why so many brew it?

The IPA craze is one of the steps I will be highlighting in my upcoming Masters Thesis paper and submission to HomeBrewTalks articles collection, "The steps of Beer Appreciation".

It is a pendulum swing...the Macro-beer drinkers get sick of the watery, fizzy, tasteless swill, and they discover a different kind of beer, usually a Sam Adams, sometimes a Hacker-Pschorr. I call these the "gateway-beers". This leads them on a journey, and often this journey takes them on the pendulum swing down the path of the IPA simply due to the hunger for massive flavor. Over time, their tastes evolve and they discover various Stouts, Porters, Barley wines, Imperial IPAS, Sours, Belgian Ales, and more as they mature through the appreciation of the cornucopia that is beer.
The premise of your thesis is wrong.

1. Macro-beer drinkers do not get sick of watery, fizzy, tasteless swill. There is no hunger for "big flavor". The BMCs still command ~80% of the market and don't forget there are still smaller, regional "macros-or-not-quite-craft-brewers-out-there". Around here in Maryland, Natty Boh and Yuengling are very popular. And diehards of both will claim that Bud sucks even though Boh is quite possibly the worst beer on the planet. In Chicago, Old Style dominates. In Wisconsin, Linnie's is, and was, very popular even before they were picked up by Miller. In Minnesota, Schell's/Grain Belt/Premium are also very popular and Summit's beers have a distinct German/Midwest influence. Hamm's, too, of course. In Maine, pretty much everything Pugsley had a hand in creating (Shipyard, Gritty McDuff's, etc.) has a very distinct English taste to it, in particular because of his insistence an using the ringwood strain of yeast. Fuggle's IPA, Export, and even Old Thumber (the only style specifically designed for the ringwood yeast) would not do well on the West Coast. Allagash is the odd man out in Maine yet ironically, perhaps, is a very Maine brewer.

Then, of course, there is Shiner.

Olympia was very popular in the PNW; at least up until recently, anyways. Same with Blatz, Rainier, Hamm's, Henry Wienhardt's, Lucky Lager, Narragassent, Shlitz, and a few others. The only reason for a decline in sales of these beers in more recent history is simply because they are not being produced in the same numbers as they once were, if even still being made at all. Olympia, Hamm's, Schlitz, Blatz, and Old Style all have a cult-like following. Based on my experiences through life and the circle of friends I kicked it with, these are the brands that people drank before they later got into micro brews, not the "BMCs". I remember back in 1992 or '93 a local dive bar in Nor Cal put a keg of Hamm's dark on tap. That news spread like wildfire and this was way before social media/text messaging. Its arrival was spread by word of mouth alone and that keg was dust by the end of the evening. Yes, people blew their lid over Hamm's dark and these are the same people who later went on to push that West Coast flavor.

The gateway, however, at least in California, were English imports and imports from Continental Europe. Brands like Fuller's, Guinness, Samuel Smith's, New Castle, Stella, Pilsener Urquell, and some domestic brands, in very particular, Anchor Steam and to a lesser extent SNPA and Red Nector, were the gateways from Olympia to "craft". Gotta include Elephant and Sapporo. And, I should add what-ever was available from Trader Joe's. Like buying a twelver of Beast because of the price, we also bought "imports" from TJs because they had for cheap, too.

We drank Fuller's and New Castle simply because they were English imports, and "better", but necessarily because "Bud suck's". To use, Bud was the beer of hicks. Blatz was for those who knew better. Go figure. There was no journey or pendulum swing, all these beers were drank "simultaneously". It was all simply "beer".

2. The BMCs definitely do have flavor, and distinct flavor at that. If you cannot taste the difference between Bud, Coors Banquet, MGD, Olympia, and Old Style, then I dunno. You've been sucking on too many hops, perhaps. Or just maybe do not want to admit to it.

Bud drinkers will always drink Bud. Period. Going from, say, Ruination to Bud of course the Bud would then taste like water. But going from Bud to Ruination is not going to happen overnight and likely not to happen at all.

3. Not to be a jerk (I learned this the hard way myself): No one but your advisor and mom will ever read your thesis paper or later dissertation if you go on to a Ph.D. They are simply formalities. If you can get published here, cool beans for sure, just keep in mind that your thesis paper will become the intellectual property of the University, attached to your advisor's/PIs own research/tenure/CV, and yes, you can be accused of plagiarizing yourself.

4. We have a tendency to believe that what we like is "the best" on the market. It may be a shock to hear but Bud drinkers also believe that Bud is the best beer on the market.

Hey I love IPA's and I love experimenting with different hops but man there is so much more to brewing than IPA's maybe I am just an odd duck I prefer to brew as much different stuff as I can
Naw, you are the norm. I tend to only brew the stuff that I drink. So, for example, considering that I only buy stouts on average of less than once a year this is a style I never brew and likely never will. I pretty much just stick with IPAs, APAs, blondes, cream ales, wits, farmhouse ales and the various offshoots each style may lead to (blonde/helles; APA/PA/alt, for example). By comparison, I am a very boring home brewer but what I brew I do brew well.

I have always had in mind to do a lambic, kriek, barleywine, or just something that is big and funky but have yet to get around to it.

....which is why I only average about 15 posts per year.

Believe me, I held back in this post.

The premise of your thesis is wrong.

1. Macro-beer drinkers do not get sick of watery, fizzy, tasteless swill. There is no hunger for "big flavor".

The gateway, however, at least in California, were English imports and imports from Continental Europe.

2. The BMCs definitely do have flavor, and distinct flavor at that. If you cannot taste the difference between Bud, Coors Banquet, MGD, Olympia, and Old Style, then I dunno.

Bud drinkers will always drink Bud. Period. Going from, say, Ruination to Bud of course the Bud would then taste like water. But going from Bud to Ruination is not going to happen overnight and likely not to happen at all.

3. Not to be a jerk (I learned this the hard way myself): No one but your advisor and mom will ever read your thesis paper or later dissertation if you go on to a Ph.D.

1. I did not mean that all Macro drinkers get sick of the Buds and Millers. I meant the small group of craft beer drinkers were, for the most part, Macro beer drinkers at one time, who eventually got turned on to craft beers. This was in large part due to the desire for bigger flavor.
2. Yes, I can taste the meager difference in the macro beers. But I still think they suck. I still think they all are fizzy and the carbonation takes away from the meager flavor they do have. I suppose one could also taste the difference between cat piss and a dog piss, but that doesn't mean they are any better because they are distinct from each other.
3. You do realize I was joking about writing a thesis on beer drinking? The premise of the original post was purely a rant about IPAs getting too much publicity compared to a lesser-known style of beer. I was adding on to this topic, (a topic usually reserved for discussions by a few slightly inebriated beer snobs), with an equally tongue-in-cheek assessment of this critical social disorder. A social disorder worthy of a thesis paper or attempt at a PhD, Piled Higher and Deeper. In other words, I, along with 4 out of 5 posters on that thread, were having fun. The other 1/5 thought it was a serious question that deserved a serious answer.

Guys this is supposed to be an argument about IPAs, not long-winded discussions about BMC stuff... There's enough of those threads out there.

Guys this is supposed to be an argument about IPAs, not long-winded discussions about BMC stuff... There's enough of those threads out there.

True, we should be supporting and loving on each other, because we are all part of the happy Craft Beer Heroes, and those BMC drinkers are a bunch of backwards nincompoops. :mug:

I fully admit to being very much into IPA/IIPA and APA - pretty much anything with distinct hop character. I generally alternate when I brew - every other beer I brew is a hoppy style. The other half of my beers are all over the place though - stouts, porters, wheats, saison (I *love* a good saison). Only really brewed 1 lager (a vienna/amber lager) because I don't have a fridge for temp control, but I managed it last winter in my basement and it turned out great...in fact I consider it one of my best beers.

I think the biggest reason so many people are into IPAs and why there's so many of them (well there are so many because people buy them) is the American thing of "more, more, MOAR!" Bigger, badder, etc. In this case, hops. Actually alcohol as well - when you think about it, you almost never find an IPA in the lower end of the ABV range - they're pretty much all high 6% and 7%.

Your Busch Light has Texas printed on the can... do you need a better reason?

You guys would buy a turd if it was in the shape of the lone star state.

If I want Texas Themed beer, I get Lone Star, which I'm almost certain is just PBR now.

Back to IPAs. I've brewed 11 batches. Six of them have been IPA, 2 APA's, one bad Blonde, one even worse cream ale, and I'm drinking on my Saison like a stew bum now.

I like IPA, is what I'm getting at. Love brewing them even more.

Back