Why is everyone into only talking about why everyone is into only IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top five styles, in order of dollar share, are IPA, seasonal, Pale Ale, variety packs and Amber Ale.

IPAs account for 24% dollar share, and the seasonals are close to 16%.
IPAs grew 49% in dollar sales in 2014.

So for I.P.hAters, be thankful that the IPAs are driving growth in the craft beer industry, and therefore availability of ALL styles. We can all drink to that!

Move along, this subject is dried out.
Somebody post a thread about a fermentation maybe being stuck.

Everyone I know IRL, including myself, that likes craft beer started out liking IPA's.

And the same everyone slowly drifted away from IPA's into other craft beers.

I have no idea why.

You can only get real IPAs in India.* That's why there is so much mystique. It's like you can only get real Haggis in Scotland - thank god for that!

* You can, however, get Indiana Pale Ale in the Midwest - and you can get Indianola Pale Ale in Mississippi.

Probably because it's considered manly to drink hoppy dry beer vs a malty one. I also feel IPA in general is the poster child of craft beer. And then you have those who boast about their bitterness tolerance similar to those who boast about hot sauce not being hot...

It does get a bit boring going into breweries where they have 8 taps and 5 of thenm are a variation of some kind of IPA that is trying to out do the one next to it. I love IPA, stouts, and most others, but there have been plenty of times where I want a simple clean crisp beer, but it's difficult to find that now days.

It's funny because often times it's the simple recipes that make a great beer, but everyone is trying to make a name for themselves, so they take it all to the extreme.

you can only get real ipas in india.* that's why there is so much mystique. It's like you can only get real haggis in scotland - thank god for that!

* you can, however, get indiana pale ale in the midwest - and you can get indianola pale ale in mississippi.

wtf?

I like turtles

Me too!

turtle-beer.jpg

I pee sitting down. Why would you stand when you can sit?

this thread title made me laugh out the the first time i read it.

a couple hours later, got back on here, made me laugh out loud again.

success m00ps!

Ipa's are in. People like to discuss things that are in whether it be to admire it or to hate on it. I do get a little miffed when at a fall beer festival there's always more Ipa's than anything else. Maybe its because all the fall beers come out in early August now so maybe they're all gone by fall beer festival time...
It will be interesting to see how many of these new breweries survive once the bubble pops. I think we just reached the amount of breweries we, the US, had when prohibition hit. We'll see where all these IPAs lead us!

I'm almost always up for trying a new IPA. Having a second? Not always. At least 1/3 of my brews are IPAs, but I love all styles.
I don't get hating on the hop bandwagon though.
Maybe let people like what they like for whatever reason they like it?
I work at a regular dive-ish bar and understand than many people are just looking to get a lil inebriated with as little flavor or fuss as possible. "Smooth" "no aftertaste" "not too sweet" are what most people are looking for. It doesn't bother me.
Neither does newer craft beer drinkers telling anyone who will listen about how they love IPAs.
I had an older guy ask me yesterday what my favorite "ales" are. I answered him as best as I could attempting to educate him without making him feel stupid.
I'm about to start working at a craft beer bar part time too. #goodtimes ahead I'm sure.
:)

I don't always talk about what kind of beer everyone is into, but when I do, I talk about them being into IPAs.

Well IPAs usually cost the about the same as other beers and are more expensive and annoying to brew so why not prefer them when buying beer?

I tried to make one once but there were no bubbles in the airlock for 12 hours so i dumped it.

You can only get real IPAs in India.* That's why there is so much mystique. It's like you can only get real Haggis in Scotland - thank god for that!

* You can, however, get Indiana Pale Ale in the Midwest - and you can get Indianola Pale Ale in Mississippi.

My first choice will always be an authentically-brewed Canadian IP Eh, but those are hard to get year-round, since fresh maple syrup is seasonal.

So far I vastly like this thread better than the other one. At what point does IPA, and the discussion there of, get its own sub-forum?

Or maybe we just sticky one of them and then we can shut down any new "what's the deal with IPA" threads.

The top five styles, in order of dollar share, are IPA, seasonal, Pale Ale, variety packs and Amber Ale.

IPAs account for 24% dollar share, and the seasonals are close to 16%.
IPAs grew 49% in dollar sales in 2014.

So for I.P.hAters, be thankful that the IPAs are driving growth in the craft beer industry, and therefore availability of ALL styles. We can all drink to that!

Move along, this subject is dried out.
Somebody post a thread about a fermentation maybe being stuck.

Neat stats! What's the source?

Back