Why foil not airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A starter needs oxygen so the yeast can replicate. An airlock defeats that.

I agree. It's especially important to permit the gas exchange during the initial reproduction stage. I use an open cell foam stopper designed for this purpose, but foil works just as well.

I put foil and make a few small holes with a toothpick. Have a starter going on stir plate for 18 hours and the yeasties are happily bouncing all over the place.

I agree. It's especially important to permit the gas exchange during the initial reproduction stage. I use an open cell foam stopper designed for this purpose, but foil works just as well.

I've been using the foam stoppers for a few months now and they work great.

I pressure cook my flask with enough pillow stuffing (polyester batting) to use as a stopper, it lets air in and out but not the nastys. Just wrap it in foil, cook, and then when ever you unwrap it then it"s ready. wait, foil sounds easier....

I use to use an airlock with my starters, and didn't see anything wrong with it. I switched a while ago to using foil loosely over the top and immediately noticed quicker reproduction and less initial lag time in my starters.

How loose is "loose" for most folks? (that's what she said)

I think I'm still in the process of retraining my brain (like learning not to fear the foam) and crimp it too tight. Anyone got a good photo of "loose" foil?

How loose is "loose" for most folks? (that's what she said)

I think I'm still in the process of retraining my brain (like learning not to fear the foam) and crimp it too tight. Anyone got a good photo of "loose" foil?

Just fit your fingers around the neck of the flask with the foil in-between. Doesn't have to be super tight, but snug so the foil won't fall off and so air can get in the flask at the same time.

Back