Why Don't I Make This More Often?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talgrath

Reaction score
So, today I am in the midst of brewing my amber ale recipe, a beer I haven't made in over a year. I was draining off the wort after mashing, admiring the amber color and clarity and I thought to myself "this is a good beer, why don't I make this more often?" And then I thought about and realized that I'd been experimenting with this and that the other recipe, tweaking things. It's not that I was deliberately avoiding it, but that I simply was busy trying other things. Anyone else had a moment of "hey, I should make this more often" like that?

Not necessarily about a specific beer, but definitely regarding styles. I experiment and try to brew things others will like, so when I get back to making a beer just for me I always have a moment of "maybe I should make more beers for me, after all I am the one brewing them."

I did, about a year or so ago. I had just finished taking a FG reading from my "standard" American Pale Ale, emptied the full graduated cylinder down my throat and thought, damn this really is a great beer. Since then, I brew it as often as possible....

Amber ales are an often neglected style. I make one that I really like but when it comes time to decide what to brew I often forget about it.

Have some in the fridge right now. Ut it has been over a year since the last batch of it.

I have an Irish Red that I keep telling myself, "I am always going to keep this on tap!" And like so many of us on here, the abundance of styles and recipes seems to keep me away from my inclination to have a steady rotation of the red.

I do keep consistent with my chocolate oatmeal stout every winter. I only make on batch a year due to the large PIA that cocoa powder gives me on the cleaning end.

I think that pretty often, but its about the styles I already have +5 examples of that are ready. Then, i go to brew a neglected style and it reminds me how much more I enjoy the ones im good at

I recently had a moment like that. I was brewing a lot of complex recipes and wanted to have a laid-back enjoyable brew day where I wouldn't have to worry about massive grain bills, crazy hop schedules, cold brewing coffee, finding the right chocolate, hunting down fruit that is out of season...etc. I just wanted to brew so I made a wit. Sure it's still the winter but if Victory can make their "Winter Cheers" wheat beer then so can I. At the end of brewing I even decided to just do an ice bath instead of using the plate chiller. Sometimes it's nice to go back to a beer you haven't brewed in a long time and finally make those recipe changes you swore you'd do but never got around to. In the end I find it every bit as fun to brew a simple beer versus a complex beer and I enjoy the result just as much.

Whenever I make my blonde ale, I remember why the keg kicks so quickly. I've done it now 4 times, and each time it impresses me.

I do have to try my original IPA recipe. I've done so many variants with grain hops and yeast, I want to go back to my original recipe that I brewed as my first all grain recipe. After all I have learned in the last 3 years, it should be even better than the original. Dang, now I need to dig up my notes on it.

Every March, I have the intention to brew a true oktoberfest. Every July, I settle for an oktoberfast. Maybe this year I will fully commit....

I would say an American pale ale. It's one of my favorite styles to drink but at the end of the day I either choose to brew a cream ale/blonde or an ipa when I go to brew an American ale. I hardly ever choose a pale ale.

Time to plan a good APA to brew, and most important, DRINK!

I would say an American pale ale. It's one of my favorite styles to drink but at the end of the day I either choose to brew a cream ale/blonde or an ipa when I go to brew an American ale. I hardly ever choose a pale ale.

Time to plan a good APA to brew, and most important, DRINK!

I've been coming to this realization too. My mind goes to IPA when I want something hoppy, but APAs are just too refreshing. A 5% highly hopped simple pale is definitely one of my favorite brews. I usually just do a SMASH of whatever base I have on hand and pull out some citrus hops and go to town. Drink it all day.

Actually, same here! Been on an IPA kick for the last 6-months - playing with hops I have not experienced before. Last weekend, I also did a Blonde...get yer mind outta the gutter! I did the Blonde my way (outside of "style" parameters) and am looking forward to the change!

Back