Why does big mouth bubbler have threads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to find a fermentation screw on lids for the 6.5g big mouth bubbler.
You mean like these? How many do you need?

1668343347886.png

I think they "used" to make threaded lids, but quit. You could look at the 1-gallons, they may have threaded lids / I could be thinking of somethign else.

@passedpawn - Did you print those or were they purchased? Interesting.

I've used my BMB's plural for years, many times, never had an issue. I have a 1/2" stainless blow-off tube in a large #10 stopper and it's never plugged. If folks have issues w/ lids popping off I'm thinking there's an underlying reason like - don't let the blow-off plug up, problem solved.

I think they "used" to make threaded lids, but quit. You could look at the 1-gallons, they may have threaded lids / I could be thinking of somethign else.

@passedpawn - Did you print those or were they purchased? Interesting.

I've used my BMB's plural for years, many times, never had an issue. I have a 1/2" stainless blow-off tube in a large #10 stopper and it's never plugged. If folks have issues w/ lids popping off I'm thinking there's an underlying reason like - don't let the blow-off plug up, problem solved.

The original lid for these bubblers did have a threaded ring. The ring held down a plastic plate, and that plate was leaky (no rubber gasket). It worked fine, but you never saw activity in your airlock.

They quickly replaced that system with a "universal lid", designed with an awful silicon seal. I had 6 of the original. I also bought 6 of the universal lids. I trimmed the universal lid so that the ring could be used with it. More more at the following link:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/big-mouth-bubbler-solution-to-the-bad-lid-seal-problem.555388/

Interesting.

Something changed over time, my lids are black, and they fit great. Every silicone... ring...I guess I'd call them goes down into the neck. I wonder if it's the lid, or the carboy itself?

The original screw on lids did not seal well, so they started using the push in tops. I had to buy the newer style, they should have replaced them for free.

The original screw on lids did not seal well, so they started using the push in tops. I had to buy the newer style, they should have replaced them for free.
I used duct tape.

Attachments

• 20230611_112346.mp4
    6.8 MB
Back