Why do I have activity in the valve after placing the beer in secondary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
We put our beer in a secondary ferment last night. We sanitized everything that came into contact with the beer.

We have never used a secondary fermenter. We decided to do this for 2 reasons: 1, we dryhopped. 2, our yeast (safale s0-4) has a relatively strong smell/flavour in our single malt MO brews. It is not a disgusting smell/flavour.....but we dont like it. We are more into nice American IPAs than English bitter ale styles....but we are experimenting with this Engish yeast too.

Anyway.....my question is: why did the valve show activity again? The beer was racked into secondary after 2 weeks with 1.014 gravity (with 75 attenuation it was meant to be at 1.013...but then again it had been fermenting for a bit more than 2 weeks). Fermentation temperature is at ideal 15 ºC-20 ºC (59-68F)

I know I should have checked the gravity twice within 3 days...but calculating with 75% attenuation, the beer was meant to be at 1.013...that is really close to 1.014. So........racking into secondary seemed to be reasonable.

Now.....the yeast cake is gone. Can the remaining yeast in the brew be reactivated again through the agitation or the syphoning? Did oxygen get into the brew? Maybe.....the fermentation wasnt over?

Any ideas if the brew will be okay at all?

Totally normal to see early secondary airlock activity, especially when dryhopping. My Ruthless Rye clone did the same thing. Something about the hops having "nucleation sites" and off-gassing of CO2. RDWHAHB!:mug:

I agree with Malty Dog, I always see a little airlock activity after transferring.. It isn't enough to lower my FG noticeably though. I chalk it up to dizzy yeasties left in suspension farting out their last bit of co2.. :drunk:

Cheers!

I agree with Malty Dog, I always see a little airlock activity after transferring.. It isn't enough to lower my FG noticeably though. I chalk it up to dizzy yeasties left in suspension farting out their last bit of co2.. :drunk:

Cheers!

Amen. :) Let them fart then. :)

Back