Why did you choose the biab method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazinlow86

Reaction score
So there was another thread asking why people that don't biab choose there method that quickly got derailed by the people that do biab. Figured we should make a new thread so all us biab brewers can put in our input without cluttering a thread asking the opposite question.

I'll start

I choose to use the 2.5g biab method for any new or unproven recipes to test them before I scale them up to my 1/2 barrels 3v eherms system. I like that biab is super easy and can be done using simple equipment I have around the house. It's easy to store away. I also find it makes almost as good a end product as the big system does at a fraction of the cost. Id recommend anybody looking at brew setups to try the biab method first. It's the simplest and cheapest option out there and can make great beer. Cheers

I chose it for simplicity, and the fact that all I had to buy (in addition to my extract gear) to try it was a bag. I have been extremely happy with my beers, so see no reason to add more vessels to my process.

Brew on :mug:

... I also find it makes almost as good a end product as the big system does at a fraction of the cost. ...

What aspects of the final beer do you find almost as good?

I am contemplating a 2V K-RIMS, so I would be interested to understand the minor shortcomings of BIAB and comparison against the 3V.

What aspects of the final beer do you find almost as good?

I am contemplating a 2V K-RIMS, so I would be interested to understand the minor shortcomings of BIAB and comparison against the 3V.
Good question. I'd say really the only difference is that the wort going into the fermentor is really clear due to not disturbing the grain bed or as others have said removing the wort from the grain instead of the other way around. This isn't a huge deal as with time the beer will clear regardless but for me as I **gift** alot of kegs to friends and coworkers I need to keep the sediment that drops out over time in the fermentor and out of the serving vessels. my kegs need to be as clear immediately after being shaken up as they would after sitting unmoved for weeks. But thats my specific situation. If I was brewing for myself and doing smaller batches id be using biab. Cheers

Last edited:
I choose BIAB only when I want to do a small batch indoors. Either too hot or too cold outside. For larger batches I much prefer brewing on my 3v system. I get better efficiency for a big batch and don't have to rig a hoist to deal with the wet grain.

I switched from a 1 gallon 3v system on my stove to a Brew-Boss ebiab system as an upgrade to both electric and larger sizes. I plan to brew max 10 gallons, mostly 5 so it should be perfect for me. Haven't started using the system yet .but hopefully in the coming weeks .

As others have said I love the simplicity of biab. It was the easiest and least expensive way to move up to all grain.

I brew only for myself and a few family members so sediment and clarity areno concern to me. Taste is what I'm after however with each batch I brew using a small Wilser bag to strain as I keg sediment is all but gone and clarity is improving.

Living in Florida I brew inside due to the heat so I brew 2 1/2 to 3 gallon batches with the occasional 1-2 gallon batch to try new styles or recipes before scaling up. All can be done in the kitchen. I try to brew at least once a week to keep a good variety on tap.

Cheers!

was the amount equipment you required and the process is fairly simple..and cleaning up..then someone gave me a grainfather as retirement present..seriously thinking of going back to biab..with modified pot so i can use the counterflow chiller

I recently built a whole new setup with the primary goal being to go electric and move indoors. There were 3 main reasons that I went with BIAB for my new system.

1. Cost - I only had to buy one kettle instead of three. This allowed me to buy exactly what I wanted (20 gal Spike) instead of having to settle for something lower quality since I would have to buy 3 vessels.

2. Space - My new brew area is in one of the rooms in my finished basement which is also my workshop area. I liked that I could add a complete brew area without having to sacrifice any of my existing work area. I could certainly fit a full 3 vessel system in there but I would have to give up some of the work space that I use for other projects.

3. Cleanup - I like that there is less equipment to clean after brewing.

My new setup is so much more efficient and saves me hours now that I don't have to set up/tear down equipment in my garage every time that I want to brew. I realize that really has nothing to do with BIAB vs 3V... I'm just loving my new setup and excited that I will be able to brew more often and enjoy it more since it's not such a chore anymore.

Because sparging is boring and time-consuming and my overall efficiency was the same within the margin of error for both processes. Now that I have my Christmas grain mill, that should change in favor of BIAB.

1. Cheapest /easiest way to get into all-grain from extract.
2. Simple, why run anything more complicated when you don't need to. I almost lost my brewing partner(wife) just switching to all grain(seems complicated and not as fun/easy), now if bought a 3 tier system and all that, I for sure would be brewing by my self.

I made the switch mainly due to the simplicity and time savings. I got my grain bag and some hop bags from Wilser too and I love them. My average brew day is three and a half hours from start to finish now that I've got my process nailed down. My only regret is that I didn't start BIAB sooner.

Because I can mash in 30 minutes instead of 60 with a really fine crush that gives me excellent efficiency and I only have 1 vessel to clean. Since I do back to back batches that saves me an hour :ban:

Check the results and costs of doing a 30 minute boil. You might be able to save 2 hours.

I went with BIAB for the simplicity of things, as well as future plans. As of right now i do brew outside, but plan on moving into the basement and changing over to EBIAB. I also Hate cleaning. So adding more vessels to clean did not sound to appealing. I know I could of gone electric with a 3V system. But the cleaning......

I still don't get the cleaning thing. I clean a boil kettle and a mash tun. BIAB you clean a boil kettle and a bag. And I find it easier to clean my mash tun than my bag.

Utility sink - spray bag, turn bag inside out, spray again, hang to dry. Process takes 30 seconds. Cleaning my cooler mash tun take a couple of minutes longer, since it is more unwieldy to move and has more pieces.

Because elegant simplicity is sexy, and never goes out of style.

Elegant Simplicity Grace Kelly 2.jpg

My first few beers were partial mash. I was sitting in a small brewery one afternoon talking to the brewer and he told me about this “BIAB thing”.

Did some research, figured I basically already had everything I need to move into BIAB/all-grain so it was a no-brainer for me.

However, I have now moved into a modified system - I move my heated strike water to a cooler mash tun and then back for boil. I did this for a few reasons but mainly to implement some LODO into my process (underletting, not splashing when I raise the bag, etc)

i went biab, because i enjoy the simplicity. It makes beer 100% as good as a convoluted 3V setup, takes up less space, a little less to clean, sparging is for suckers at the homebrew level, basically sometimes less is more.
After being out of the hobby for a few years I also decided to go back to 5 gallon batches AND make the switch to electricity.
Electricity has so many pros and no cons that I'm aware of. This setup will travel well and I think it goes hand in hand with biab.

I boil in a propane fired keggle and mash in a tall 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler. Used a braided sleeve in the cooler for 6 years or so. Had a lot of slow draining and stuck sparges, even with rice hulls. Just got sick and tired of stuck sparges. Used a brewbag in my cooler with a winch pulley system above it and brew day became a lot easier!
Since then I’ve been considering upgrading to a bigger kettle and doing full volume BIAB.

I boil in a propane fired keggle and mash in a tall 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler. Used a braided sleeve in the cooler for 6 years or so. Had a lot of slow draining and stuck sparges, even with rice hulls. Just got sick and tired of stuck sparges. Used a brewbag in my cooler with a winch pulley system above it and brew day became a lot easier!
Since then I’ve been considering upgrading to a bigger kettle and doing full volume BIAB.

Similar system. Rubbermaid cooler with a braid. Mine was made from a 3/4 inch water heater braid. In about 95 batches I had one that almost was a slow or stuck sparge. I don't think it is at all the vessel it is the filtering system. In this case what was used for the braided sleeve.

Imo, a bag with a hoist adds more complexity to the system.

Simplicity. Just one stainless pot can be used as a HLT, mash tun and kettle. In the same pot you heat the water to strike temp, drop in the grain bag, remove the grain bag, boil, done.

Great all grain option with less mess to clean. Mash and boil in 1 vessel. Heck, some on here even ferment in their kettle! Also, I like not having to buy more equipment. I've already spent enough on this hobby...

Great all grain option with less mess to clean. Mash and boil in 1 vessel. Heck, some on here even ferment in their kettle! Also, I like not having to buy more equipment. I've already spent enough on this hobby...

Here is the less mess to clean again...... You clean a BK and a bag. I clean a BK and a mash tun. And I can clean my mash tun in 2-3 minutes........ Less equipment - yes.

Well, after brewing for nearly 10 years, I'm making the switch to BIAB. I'm going to sell my 3v system and start fresh with the Ss Brewtech 1v electric system and do BIAB. It's been on my mind for years and am finally going to make the switch to both. I like the simplicity of it all and the less work I have to do at my age, the better. :yes:

Here is the less mess to clean again...... You clean a BK and a bag. I clean a BK and a mash tun. And I can clean my mash tun in 2-3 minutes........ Less equipment - yes.

Having the grains already contained in a bag does give BIAB the advantage when it comes to cleanup and disposal of spent grains.

1 .. It is a proven method
2 .. It requires minimal additional equipment and expense
3 .. It can (At times) be faster for both brew and clean up (although I am almost never in a hurry when I brew)

You're a speed demon! But seriously, dumping a bag and rinsing it out + hanging is easier than cleaning a mash tun. Uses less water and isn't so bulky too. Not saying one is better than the other, but I prefer cleaning a bag.

I went biab mainly so I could brew alone.... being a "one armed man" ( don't see myself as really handicapped, just challenged) there is just too much lifting and pouring of scalding liquids in three vessel brewing- I guess you can pump but still have to clean those vessels. With my e-biab system the only things I ever have to lift is the kegs into the kegerator after fermentation. I have a hoist on an arm attached to my brew stand to hoist the bag out and have built a stand with wheels for my Fastferment so I can roll it in and out of the house.

video in use

Works for me.... now if I just drank more beer I could brew more often! I need a shirt that reads " I drink to support my brewing habit!"

Cherrs!

Having the grains already contained in a bag does give BIAB the advantage when it comes to cleanup and disposal of spent grains.

You're a speed demon! But seriously, dumping a bag and rinsing it out + hanging is easier than cleaning a mash tun. Uses less water and isn't so bulky too. Not saying one is better than the other, but I prefer cleaning a bag.

These are totally opposite to my experience. You have to carry the bag, most likely in a bucket, to where you want to dump it.
I carry the mash tun. Very little difference. For me, dump rinse and done. It takes a lot more water to rinse the grain off the bag. I prefer cleaning my mash tun BY FAR! This is with 5 gallon paint strainer bags. But I wouldn't expect a custom bag to be significantly better.

These are totally opposite to my experience. You have to carry the bag, most likely in a bucket, to where you want to dump it.
I carry the mash tun. Very little difference. For me, dump rinse and done. It takes a lot more water to rinse the grain off the bag. I prefer cleaning my mash tun BY FAR! This is with 5 gallon paint strainer bags. But I wouldn't expect a custom bag to be significantly better.
The difference with the custom bags is that since the holes are so much smaller, the grain can't stick in them. They are WAY easier to clean than my old paint strainer bag.

The difference with the custom bags is that since the holes are so much smaller, the grain can't stick in them. They are WAY easier to clean than my old paint strainer bag.

I still can't imagine getting the grain out of the folds in the cloth is easier than hosing out a mash tun. There are no folds to hold the grain.

Back