Why cook rolled oats before mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
Just like the title says, I'd like a free brewing lesson. I'm using rolled oats instead of flaked in a recipe and from what I've read I need to cook them first.

Here's a good resource for cereal mashing:
http://hopwild.com/2009/02/18/cereal-mashing-bother/

When grains are malted, natural enzymes break down big starches into littler ones. The mash breaks the starches down the rest of the way. Cooking or heat also breaks down starches. The flaked style grains from the LHBS are pre-cooked (steamed). Instant oats (the just-add-hot-water type) are pre-cooked also.

If you don't break down the big starches, a few things could happen. Best-case is that your efficiency is 10-15% lower. Worst case is that the starches turn to glue in your mash, making a sticky mess. Wheat starch is used as a glue in museums.

Real world experience: I dump in rolled oats into my mash ALL the time. Works great. I average 78% efficiency. Wheat recipes are in the 80s. Only cereal mash I have done is on corn (polenta). Because I needed to raise my temp.

Just me?

Am I missing something? Aren't rolled oats and flaked oats the same thing?

There is contradicting information regarding it. Palmer's book labels flaked and rolled as the same. Other sources I've found say that flaked oats are exposed to steam when processed and rolled are processed dry. To be clear, I'm not using quick(quaker) oats.

Real world experience: I dump in rolled oats into my mash ALL the time. Works great. I average 78% efficiency. Wheat recipes are in the 80s. Only cereal mash I have done is on corn (polenta). Because I needed to raise my temp.

Just me?

Even using malted wheat, my efficiency always takes a hit when using non-barley adjuncts. I seldom get over 70% on wheat beers. But maybe that's just me.

There are all different kinds of rolled oats. I use them a lot for cooking, baking and brewing. The general rule of thumb I apply is, if the instructions for making oatmeal of the box say to cook them for 5 minutes or less, I just toss them in with the mash. If the directions call for longer cooking, I'd do a cereal mash first. If you buy in bulk (like I do now), and don't get directions, the best thing I can recommend is to learn the difference (by look, feel) of the different types of rolled grains, and judge for yourself. I've always done well by applying this rule, but YMMV, of course.

There are all different kinds of rolled oats. I use them a lot for cooking, baking and brewing. The general rule of thumb I apply is, if the instructions for making oatmeal of the box say to cook them for 5 minutes or less, I just toss them in with the mash. If the directions call for longer cooking, I'd do a cereal mash first. If you buy in bulk (like I do now), and don't get directions, the best thing I can recommend is to learn the difference (by look, feel) of the different types of rolled grains, and judge for yourself. I've always done well by applying this rule, but YMMV, of course.

+1 to all of that. I was gonna say the exact same thing, but Guld beat me to it.

Back