Why am I not a GD alcoholic yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tutsbrew

Reaction score
I've been drinking beer now for nearly two years, almost daily. I brew much of it. Some wine here and there... Why the fwock am I NOT an alcoholic yet? How will I know when I've arrived? Should I drink twice as much or just drink both nightly AND before work? WTF?

I've been drinking beer now for nearly two years, almost daily. I brew much of it. Some wine here and there... Why the fwock am I NOT an alcoholic yet? How will I know when I've arrived? Should I drink twice as much or just drink both nightly AND before work? WTF?

Depends on who's doing the evaluation doesn't it? Just sayin'.
Regards, GF.

what's flocced up is, if someone accuses you of being an alcoholic, no matter what logical reasoning you can give why you're not, they always hit you back with, "oh, you're just in denial"

there's no arguing with that, wrong as it may be

so, don't worry about being an alcoholic... worry about being the best GD alcoholic you can be

what's flocced up is, if someone accuses you of being an alcoholic, no matter what logical reasoning you can give why you're not, they always hit you back with, "oh, you're just in denial"

there's no arguing with that, wrong as it may be

so, don't worry about being an alcoholic... worry about being the best GD alcoholic you can be

Just deny you are in denial. Soon they will become mentally exhausted and walk away. Then you can go have a beer.

Just deny you are in denial. Soon they will become mentally exhausted and walk away. Then you can go have a beer.

haha

reminds me of when I was in the navy, going to school in San Diego and had just passed a practical (hands-on) exam involving potentially deadly heavy machinery, which I was quite nervous about.

afterwards, a couple of my shoremates and I headed out to a bar to celebrate and the next day, I was a few minutes late to class. In the military, they can be real richards about that, so I got called in to see my chief where I explained what happened. He said I had a choice. I could face non-judicial punishment and possibly lose a pay grade, or I could interview with the DAAP (Drug & Alcohol Awareness Program) counselor.

which they scheduled at the same time as our class party on the beach.

so, the entire time I'm in the interview, I want to interrupt the counselor and say, "hey, could we hurry this up, I'm late for a kegger"

I believe you can do it. But to bring your game to the next level, you have to strive for the extraordinary. Don't ask "should I drink before work?" Instead ask: How can I drink at work? Or even: Why do I need a job at all?

I always thought Otis, on Andy Griffith, seemed to be a happy fellow.

Alcoholics go to meetings. maybe if you went to some meetings you could qualify.

I think I set my standard for an old co-worker of mine, who was an alcoholic. We always saw him leave work and head the opposite way of where he lived.

One day I had to hitch a ride home with him. Well, we went the way he'd always gone, which just happened to be to the liquor store right around the corner. He always peoclaimed he was a recovered alcoholic, but that day, he "falls off the wagon time to time". He got a pint of some sh*tty vodka and a Smirnoff ice. His the pint in his sleeve and chased it down with the pint. Both were gone in 2 miles.

Until I get to that level, I'm not an alcoholic....

I think I set my standard for an old co-worker of mine, who was an alcoholic. We always saw him leave work and head the opposite way of where he lived.

One day I had to hitch a ride home with him. Well, we went the way he'd always gone, which just happened to be to the liquor store right around the corner. He always peoclaimed he was a recovered alcoholic, but that day, he "falls off the wagon time to time". He got a pint of some sh*tty vodka and a Smirnoff ice. His the pint in his sleeve and chased it down with the pint. Both were gone in 2 miles.

Until I get to that level, I'm not an alcoholic....

I once worked a summer job, when I was in college, with a guy who was famous for his drinking. He was not allowed to drive, for obvious reasons, and would hitch a ride with some co-worker every day after work. His normal ride was sick one day and I agreed to go a few miles out of my way to give him a ride. First stop was the liquor store, where he bought 3 40oz bottles of Busch. He had them all gone by the time we got to his house, 4-5 miles down the road. It was an impressive thing to witness.

I hear he has been dead for many years now.

In all seriousness the threshold is when you either can't stop thinking about drinking, or how you need that beer at a certain point in time. Or so I've been told.

Do I have a beer as soon as I arrive home from work? You bet. Do I look at the clock 1/2 hour before finishing work and think "Awesome, beer in 45 minutes!"? No.

Apparently a lunch time pint is a common European thing but hasn't caught on in North America. Personally I'd like to see that changed, but that particular topic may best be suited to another thread.

I sense some seriousness to the question as I have had it too. Here's how I see it...
Step one in those obnoxiously dry meetings is admitting you're powerless over alcohol (or whatever your vice is). So the question you have to ask yourself, no matter how much you drink, is are you powerless over the beer you drink? Do you leave work early just to go drink? Do you cancel previous engagements to drink instead? Schedule other things around your drinking or hangovers?

I don't believe the other BS reasons that people will tell you that are signs of alcoholism. If you drink alone (including being the only one drinking in the room) you might be an alcoholic. Pfffft...Not my fault I was done with work first and these yuppies can't crack one open yet.

If you hide alcohol, you might be an alcoholic. Suuuuuuure. It's definitely not that I made an amazing pilsner over the winter and I want the last three bottles to age a bit more before some ass-hat swoops them up so I stash one behind the milk, one under the lettuce, and behind all the condiments in the door.

My favorite...If you can't remember the last time you went a day without a drink....It's not that I can't remember, it's that I don't want to.

Eat right, get some exercise, stay hydrated, and drink beer. You're body will thank you.

I once worked a summer job, when I was in college, with a guy who was famous for his drinking. He was not allowed to drive, for obvious reasons, and would hitch a ride with some co-worker every day after work. His normal ride was sick one day and I agreed to go a few miles out of my way to give him a ride. First stop was the liquor store, where he bought 3 40oz bottles of Busch. He had them all gone by the time we got to his house, 4-5 miles down the road. It was an impressive thing to witness.

I hear he has been dead for many years now.

Reminds me of a thing I saw where Slash was talking about hanging out with Lemmy. Apparently, Lemmy walked into some kind of creative meeting with a paper grocery bag under his arm. The guys assumed he had a six pack of beer. Lemmy proceeded to reach into the bag and pull out 1/2 L bottles of Jack and pass them out as if he was handing out individual beer bottles from a sixer.

when I'm not brewing beer, I'm thinking about brewing beer.

or reading about brewing beer, or posting about brewing beer, or thinking about reading or or thinking about posting about brewing beer

sometimes, I might even drink a beer while thinking or reading or posting about brewing beer.

Do I look at the clock 1/2 hour before finishing work and think "Awesome, beer in 45 minutes!"? No.

Welp, Im fu*ked....

This is how it is for me on Fri though. Im ready to get out of here, and the work week is usually stressful. I have, however, put 4 days in at the gym by this point, and I dont touch alcohol (usually) except for Fri/Sat. So I want my Fri night beer!

Fantasizing about an IPA while at work isn't a sign of alcoholism.

I hope...

Denial is one of many defense mechanisms.... Says the Psychiatrist!

I, for one, cant wait to get home on Fridays to get the grill going and have a beer, especially if I have a highly quaffable one on tap.

Homebrew might actually keep me from becoming a full-blown booze junkie. I typically drink less beer when I am consuming homebrew all night than when I go out to bars.

tumblr_ml34xg4khm1qkuremo1_500.gif

Back