Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing my smoker build started few years ago. Added more terra cota and steel sheets to the doors. Should be less flammable now since I plan on smoking in the garage. Summer sausage, bacon, and hams in the future.
Dry run with smoker a success. At least now ND wind will be out of the picture. See ya back in a few weeks with deer summer sausage.

Attachments

• KIMG0488.JPG
    KIMG0488.JPG
    989.7 KB · Views: 0
I use the Katz Pastrami Recipe from amazing ribs. And I think it turns out amazing. You smoke up to 160F and then wrap in foil continue to cook 203F. Here is the rub recipe. I do not use the pickling spice.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/katzs-pastrami-rub/
I used the Katz rub recipe from amazingribs and it turned out just perfect, awesome recipe, thanks @Oldskewl

Due to prior commitments I had to split the cook up over two days, it worked so well I'm thinking I might try a full packer. Saturday morning I applied the rub to both desalinated points and smoked them at 240 until they reached 160 internal temp, at which time I would pull them and wrap in butcher paper, but instead I sealed them in gallon storage bags and put them in the kegerator to rest overnight. Sunday morning I wrapped them in butcher paper and put them back on the smoker at 300 and set the probe temp alarm at 200. About 3.5 hours later I realized my phone was on silent and I missed the alert, by the time I caught it one of them reached 205, the other read 209!!

I brought them inside and let them rest still wrapped until the cooled down to 145 and sliced the one that reached 209, ready for the worst. Surprisingly it was super tender and juicy with really nicely rendered fat, not falling apart tender so it was easy to slice but absolutely melted in the mouth. We made grilled Reubens in a skillet on marble rye with Swiss cheese, kraut, and Dijon mustard, it was amazing. Our neighbors who are big BBQ fans from Kansas City raved about it, we had it all ready just in time for the Chiefs game.

It was such an easy process and breaking up the smoke over 2 days took all the stress out of it, I could even imagine vacuum bagging at the halfway point to put the cook on hold until the following weekend. I could even freeze them half-cooked to finish in the oven during winter, but I guess I might as well finish them off and freeze them that way. When I see corned beef on sale I'm going to stock up, and I'm already pricing a small chest freezer...
20221001_120442.jpg

20221001_182156.jpg

20221002_181119.jpg

20221002_183529.jpg

20221004_180056.jpg

20221004_180041.jpg

20221002_185258.jpg

Looks amazing Jayjay1976!! Glad the recipe worked out for you. I would have never thought to split up the cook like that. I have used the recipe 3 times now. I pick up corned beef everytime I see it on sale. After I smoke the pastrami I slice it, vaccuum seal it into packages for patrami sandwichs and Reubens and throw them in the freezer. It's definitely a treat to pull out of the freezer!

Looks amazing Jayjay1976!! Glad the recipe worked out for you. I would have never thought to split up the cook like that. I have used the recipe 3 times now. I pick up corned beef everytime I see it on sale. After I smoke the pastrami I slice it, vaccuum seal it into packages for patrami sandwichs and Reubens and throw them in the freezer. It's definitely a treat to pull out of the freezer!
Last Sunday's pastrami was such a hit I decided to do another this weekend. I picked up a 5.5lb flat, and before applying the rub I slathered it with Koop's Düsseldorf mustard as a binder and went heavy on the rub. I trimmed the fat cap and put the trimming in a tray to render the tallow, which I'll drizzle on the beef when it's time to wrap. I'm using Jealous Devil legendary blend pellets which are cherry, maple, and hickory, and spritzing once an hour with apple cider.

20221009_104752.jpg

20221009_125109.jpg

Soooo..... how did it turn out? Did the Koop's Düsseldorf mustard add anything other than hold that generous application of rub on? I do prefer using a flat for pastrami. SInce it will be going on sandwiches most of the time I prefer not to have the fat throughout the slices.

Soooo..... how did it turn out? Did the Koop's Düsseldorf mustard add anything other than hold that generous application of rub on? I do prefer using a flat for pastrami. SInce it will be going on sandwiches most of the time I prefer not to have the fat throughout the slices.
It's not done cooking yet, yesterday I slow smoked it up to 160F and pulled it to rest overnight in the fridge, this morning I'll wrap it and finish it up to 203F. I find this method is a lot less stressful and the results are the same as if I spent a whole day smoking it. Here is a photo of it at 160F about to be pulled off and put in the fridge.

20221009_183048.jpg

Last edited:
It's not done cooking yet, yesterday I slow smoked it up to 160F and pulled it to rest overnight in the fridge, this morning I'll wrap it and finish it up to 203F. I find this method is a lot less stressful and the results are the same as if I spent a whole day smoking it. Here is a photo of it at 160F ready to go into the fridge.
photo?

Sorry, I was sure I snapped a photo in the kitchen under good light, instead I posted the last photo of it on the smoker before I brought it in. Here is a photo at the same point from last weekend.

20221001_182626.jpg

So last weekend after wrapping in butcher paper I cranked the smoker up to 300F to finish it fast. Today I've got time so I'll complete the cook at 225F so as to expel as little moisture as possible. Thinking about wrapping in foil actually, the paper soaks up a bunch of liquid and I don't know how helpful that is. I was going to include the rendered tallow in the wrap but SWMBO put the kibosh on that step.

Last Sunday's pastrami was such a hit I decided to do another this weekend. I picked up a 5.5lb flat, and before applying the rub I slathered it with Koop's Düsseldorf mustard as a binder and went heavy on the rub. I trimmed the fat cap and put the trimming in a tray to render the tallow, which I'll drizzle on the beef when it's time to wrap. I'm using Jealous Devil legendary blend pellets which are cherry, maple, and hickory, and spritzing once an hour with apple cider.

So is this an uncured pastrami? I.e. you take the flat, rub it, smoke it, and then you're good? Or did you cure it first?

Finished it up today. Took nearly 6 hours at 225F to reach 203F internal. Wrapped with a single layer of butcher paper then three layers of HD foil, this flat beats the pants off last weekend's points. The Düsseldorf mustard added a nice tang with a zesty horseradish flavor. I'll do it this way from now on.
20221010_201225.jpg
20221010_201605.jpg
20221010_202457.jpg
20221010_202925.jpg
20221010_203607.jpg

Already planning to pick up a few more flats to smoke before winter. I burned about 15lbs of pellets smoking a single flat, that makes no damn sense when my smoker has so much space.

When corned beef is on sale for a dollar a pound after St. Patrick's day I'm gonna fill the freezer for summertime.

That looks truly perfect! The flat is defintely the way to go for pastrami. I will give the mustard a try next time as well. Thanks for the advice. I have the same philosophy these days. I don't just smoke one pork butt, I smoke 2 or 3. Might as well get your money's worth out fo the elctric and pellets your using.

I smoked some salmon over the week-end on my old Bradley(keeping it around for salmon, jerkey, and beef stix because of the low temp control). I forgot to snap any pics. I like it on bagels in the morning with capers and cream cheese. Makes a nice smoked salmon dip as well. I use the bradley recipe which is a different version(contains soy sauce)

https://www.bradleysmoker.com/recipe/excellent-bradley-smoked-alaskan-salmon-2/

Finished it up today. Took nearly 6 hours at 225F to reach 203F internal. Wrapped with a single layer of butcher paper then three layers of HD foil, this flat beats the pants off last weekend's points. The Düsseldorf mustard added a nice tang with a zesty horseradish flavor. I'll do it this way from now on.
View attachment 783506View attachment 783507View attachment 783508View attachment 783509View attachment 783510
WOW! That looks FANTASTIC. And I don't actually like pastrami. SWMBO'd is a huge fan however, and loves her a good Reuban with German saurkraut. This one is def on the "to brew" list.

Last edited:
This is smoking heresy but I cooked my best ever back ribs last weekend with only charcoal, no wood. I put a chunk of pecan in the Green Egg, but at 225F the fire never got to the wood so there was never any pecan smoke.

This looks amazing, I love pastrami and this looks amazing.
View attachment 783506View attachment 783507View attachment 783508View attachment 783509View attachment 783510

Anyone else here a fan of McDonald's tangy barbecue sauce? Say what you want about the McRib, but I love their sauce and would very much like to get my hands on some to do up a few slabs and some grilled chicken too. I've seen clone recipes online, just curious if anyone can comment on their authenticity.

I jut now put a pork shoulder on the Egg. I inserted whole garlic cloves last night, it should be excellent for dinner tonight. I'm going with a light pecan wood smoke so that the inevitable green chile pork posole and pork tacos won't have an overpowering smoke flavor.

We're smoking two slabs of ribs; one Kansas City style using Jack Stack sauce and a spicy Fatalii chili rub, the other will be dusted with ginger and mustard powder followed by a grated onion and teriyaki mop. Loaded the smoker with Bear Mountain bourbon-barrel pellets which are becoming my go-to pellet for pork and chicken.

20221030_114419.jpg
20221030_120604.jpg

20221030_173635.jpg
20221030_190242.jpg
20221030_190301.jpg

Last edited:
We're smoking two slabs of ribs; one Kansas City style using Jack Stack sauce and a spicy Fatalii chili rub, the other will be dusted with ginger and mustard powder followed by a grated onion and teriyaki mop. Loaded the smoker with Bear Mountain bourbon-barrel pellets which are becoming my go-to pellet for pork and chicken.

View attachment 785052View attachment 785053

Not familiar with Bear Mt. pellets. Where'd you get them? OTOH, very familiar with Jack Stack and KC barbecue (raised in Kansas City). Looks fantastic, even before the smokin'.

Bought a pig from the neighbors grandkids. A 4H project that didn’t make weight. I forget what breed it was.

This weekend took the picnic, with the front hock still attached, and removed the bone from the picnic end. Smoked the hock for about three hours at 200. Just wanted to get some smoke on it. I will be dropping that hock into a pot with navy beans, collard greens, onions, garlic, and seasonings.

After the hock was done I cranked up to 225 and put a Boston butt on for pulled pork sammiches.

The boneless picnic we braised as carnitas with oranges, limes, garlic and seasoning for tacos.
E49BE3F2-9A3F-408D-B0A6-54B04BF511C1.jpeg
B021C6C9-E5F5-4C3A-89CF-CEB1936C7EB9.jpeg

Bought a pig from the neighbors grandkids. A 4H project that didn’t make weight. I forget what breed it was.

This weekend took the picnic, with the front hock still attached, and removed the bone from the picnic end. Smoked the hock for about three hours at 200. Just wanted to get some smoke on it. I will be dropping that hock into a pot with navy beans, collard greens, onions, garlic, and seasonings.

After the hock was done I cranked up to 225 and put a Boston butt on for pulled pork sammiches.

The boneless picnic we braised as carnitas with oranges, limes, garlic and seasoning for tacos.
View attachment 785153View attachment 785154
Reminds me of the schweinhaxe I used to get at the Zeughauskeller in Zurich years ago. That and the Cuban cigars from Davidus on the Bonhofstrasse, but don't tell the Customs man.

Reminds me of the schweinhaxe I used to get at the Zeughauskeller in Zurich years ago. That and the Cuban cigars from Davidus on the Bonhofstrasse, but don't tell the Customs man.
I love Schweinshaxe! Apparently an air fryer can perfectly recreate the crunchy exterior but I haven't tried it myself. IMHO a crispy, dark beer-glazed haxe is the best comfort food there is.

I love Schweinhaxe with some spaetzle and blaukraut! I have prepared this a few times for Oktoberfest.
Going for a Deep South/Soul Food dish with this one.
I will post a pic when it is done.

All this talk about German food has me thinking about making some Maultaschen. Wondering how I can incorporate a smoked element... maybe I'll poach them briefly then smoke them for an hour or two over Beech wood, spritzing occasionally to keep them moist. Smoked pasta sounds kinda weird tho.

1667355087415.png

All this talk about German food has me thinking about making some Maultaschen. Wondering how I can incorporate a smoked element... maybe I'll poach them briefly then smoke them for an hour or two over Beech wood, spritzing occasionally to keep them moist. Smoked pasta sounds kinda weird tho.
How about smoking some soup bones and make a broth out of them?

Not on the weekend but smoking some Boston butt on the Louisiana Smoker!

Going to wrap at 160° and finish around 205°. Smoking at 250°. Ignore the stupid wood chunk on the grate lol. This thing works great but I think I'm going to invest in a smoke tube so I don't have to prime with pellets so much.

Did two smoked beer can chickens in my offset wood smoker a while back they came out incredible I'm going to try and start posting more bbq pics!

Edit: I'll post the finished butt and won't leave you wondering! Things are smelling pretty awesome right now!

PXL_20221102_175137977.jpg

PXL_20221102_175116043.jpg

Last edited:
Back