Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoking beef ribs while brewing an West coast malt bill ipa with just strata hops

Attachments

• 20220805_155145.jpg
    20220805_155145.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Made some turkey legs during camping. I injected them with oakridge game changer brine and 7 up 4 hours before and then 250 degrees with apple wood for about 2 hours. Very tasty.

Attachments

• 20220816_154747.jpg
    20220816_154747.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220816_171208.jpg
    20220816_171208.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I wasn't able to fish the sockeye salmon run this year. So we've been catching pinks like crazy. Although not the preferred species, when smoked, it's not terrible. 😉
And for anyone who has a Weber Summit Kamado, the jerky tray kit sold at Bass Pro and Cabela's fits perfectly in the grill.

Attachments

• PXL_20220824_021143000.jpg
    PXL_20220824_021143000.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Do I see red pepper flakes? I gotta try making a spicy butt!
comes in one of 2 rubs I combined

reinforced in the sauce

equal parts ketchup, water & ACV with that rub, some brown sugar & a little more red pepper. Plus Frank's sauce. original & Chili 'n Lime

just me & the BigHair chowing on this one, so it gets a little spicier than if we have friends/family over

That’s kinda what happens all the time with the beef back ribs. Not much meat on them. Far better for braising to make a stock or chili IMHO.

Beef short ribs are where it’s at.
I make beef ribs on the smoker just to use the meat for bbq beans on the next grill day. "Brisket" beans without the hassle.

Stressing...

Put a 12# brisket on the smoker this morning for dinner tonight. I was down to the dregs of my bag of charcoal (a lot of tiny pieces & dust) so the Big Joe was taking a long time to come up to temp. Got the meat on maybe 7:30ish.

About 1 PM it looked like it was stalling, so I wrapped in foil because otherwise it'll never get done. Now it's running at about 290 degrees and the meat hasn't hit 180 yet.

I *think* it'll be all good for about 6:00 PM dinnertime. But I hate not being sure. I'd much rather it be done at 3:30 and just resting in a cooler for a few hours...

Stressing...

Put a 12# brisket on the smoker this morning for dinner tonight. I was down to the dregs of my bag of charcoal (a lot of tiny pieces & dust) so the Big Joe was taking a long time to come up to temp. Got the meat on maybe 7:30ish.

About 1 PM it looked like it was stalling, so I wrapped in foil because otherwise it'll never get done. Now it's running at about 290 degrees and the meat hasn't hit 180 yet.

I *think* it'll be all good for about 6:00 PM dinnertime. But I hate not being sure. I'd much rather it be done at 3:30 and just resting in a cooler for a few hours...
I'd get some more charcoal in there and crank it up a bit, now that its wrapped it won't lose much moisture. As you said, better to finish early and let it rest in a cooler than end up rushing it just before serving.

Stressing...

I always plan a minimum of 14-16 hours for a full packer which includes the rest. If I’m serving at 4 pm it’s going on at 12 am the night before.

That’s pretty much for anythin slow and slow cut. For example, I’m doing an 11lb shoulder at 225 and plan to serve 4-5 pm tomorrow, ill be tossing it on at about 12 am

You can always rest it longer but you can’t cook it any faster

I always plan a minimum of 14-16 hours for a full packer which includes the rest. If I’m serving at 4 pm it’s going on at 12 am the night before.

That’s pretty much for anythin slow and slow cut. For example, I’m doing an 11lb shoulder at 225 and plan to serve 4-5 pm tomorrow, ill be tossing it on at about 12 am

You can always rest it longer but you can’t cook it any faster

I don't think I had it in me for a midnight start. I figure running a little hotter (275 instead of 225) and then using the crutch to get me past the stall can get it done a lot faster without sacrificing quality. What got me today was that the smoker wasn't coming up to temp as fast as I wanted so I got worried.

For pork shoulder I actually go turbo. Run that about 350 or so and you can knock out a butt in 4-5 hours. Powers right through the stall without a crutch. You get a slightly more desiccated bark but given the surface->inside ratio of a butt it works fine. I wouldn't go turbo on brisket though.

All in all it worked out.

I would eat that 9,324,298,352,374,085,634,633,248,256,235 times

maybe 9,324,298,352,374,085,634,633,248,256,236 times,

I'm feeling mighty hungry this morning

gotta add: I don't do more than 3 hours in the smoker. I think it gives it just enough smoke ring & flavor, but it's just too much trouble to tend to the smoke box for anything longer

after 3 hours, any remaining time is in the oven, usually wrapped in foil. foil removed for the final hour

I don't think I had it in me for a midnight start. I figure running a little hotter (275 instead of 225) and then using the crutch to get me past the stall can get it done a lot faster without sacrificing quality. What got me today was that the smoker wasn't coming up to temp as fast as I wanted so I got worried.

For pork shoulder I actually go turbo. Run that about 350 or so and you can knock out a butt in 4-5 hours. Powers right through the stall without a crutch. You get a slightly more desiccated bark but given the surface->inside ratio of a butt it works fine. I wouldn't go turbo on brisket though.

All in all it worked out.

I would eat that 9,324,298,352,374,085,634,633,248,256,235 times

maybe 9,324,298,352,374,085,634,633,248,256,236 times,

I'm feeling mighty hungry this morning

gotta add: I don't do more than 3 hours in the smoker. I think it gives it just enough smoke ring & flavor, but it's just too much trouble to tend to the smoke box for anything longer

after 3 hours, any remaining time is in the oven, usually wrapped in foil. foil removed for the final hour
Two words:

Traeger smoker

Two words:

Traeger smoker
Uh, pellet smoker.
I have a Weber Smokefire EX6 and I wouldn't trade it for a dozen Traegers. I LOVE the porcelain enameled steel, next best thing to full stainless construction; one grease flair up and you can kiss your powdercoat finish goodbye, and hello rust bucket..

Also, Weber has legendary customer service.

Oh, I hear you. I've had Webers for close to 30 years. Currently we have two (one for the RV, doncha' know...SWMBO'd likes her steaks when we go 'glamping.'). My patio beast is a 5 burner Genesis, and I love it.

And I realize that Traeger isn't the only pellet smoker. My son just got vertical stack pellet smoker (Smokey Joe, I believe) after receiving endless grief from both me an his contemporaries over his other smoker which is an electric water smoker. Electric smoker??? You gotta' be kidding me.

We had a "Rib-off" a few weekends ago when he, I, and three other of his friends and their wives got to sample and judge each others entries. It was a blast. One other 'entrant' also had a Traeger, but neither he, I or my son ended up with the Best of Show. That honor went to my son's next door neighbor, who is a fire fighter, who cooked on a simple vertical stack charcoal smoker. $50 rig put us $1,000 rookies to SHAME.

My son-in-law in Florida prefers the wood-fired Texas side-draw variety, and he really knows his way around the grill, kitchen and smoker, having worker in his younger years extensively in the hospitality and culinary field. His younger brother is also an executive chef, so it must be something in the genes.

It's not the tool. It's the carpenter. Or smoke master.

Made some smoked salsa over the weekend. Not a big fan of cooked style salsas but I was trying to use up some of my abundance of tomatoes and peppers. It actually turned out pretty good. It something different.

Attachments

• 8C8953FE-5126-4FE7-987C-2FAD447A5A2C.jpeg
    8C8953FE-5126-4FE7-987C-2FAD447A5A2C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3C5327C4-E43E-4E1D-AB22-5982216D237B.jpeg
    3C5327C4-E43E-4E1D-AB22-5982216D237B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 8A09EC55-A0FB-42D4-9ABD-F8A509959976.jpeg
    8A09EC55-A0FB-42D4-9ABD-F8A509959976.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3E33E627-A214-4E0B-A311-64126ABD3A22.jpeg
    3E33E627-A214-4E0B-A311-64126ABD3A22.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 11C699CE-E0B8-4440-B206-47B249477EB0.jpeg
    11C699CE-E0B8-4440-B206-47B249477EB0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
In defense of both pellets smokers and stick smokers as I have both… it takes no efforts to get bark/smoke rings on a stick smoker. That said it takes precision in picking wood l and maintaining the fire to be in range. With a pellet smoker, it’s easy to maintain temp and takes as much effort as an oven if you want it to but if you want to make really tasting/textured bbq, it takes a lot of l effort to change temps and use smoke tubes for parts of the cook to get the right level of flavor, bark, and smoke rings.

I think people don’t think it takes zero effort to make good bbq on a Traeger/it’s likeness but if your a perfectionist, that’s not true.

That said I’m sure you all know people who don’t cook well with their oven or stove or grill

Last edited:
I'm 100% a fan of the smoke master who can make a competition-worthy brisket on just a smokey joe, I just dont have the bandwidth to achieve that level of mastery while keeping up with my other commitments. Enter the pellet smoker, making honest-to-goodness BBQ available to the gainfully employed since sometime in the mid-80's IIRC. Praise to Traeger for blazing the trail.

PXL_20220925_001620441.jpg

Home cured ham, smoking with hickory.

I just replaced the control panel for my masterbuilt smoker, and it was about half the price of the smoker when I bought it a couple years ago.

I would've bought a new smoker, but I felt bad tossing this one out when it could just be fixed with a control panel.

Next time I have a problem with it, barring a disaster I'll be getting a new one.

I thought I'd throw out some functions I'd like with my next smoker and see if anyone could make some brand or even specific appliance recommendations.

• I'd like to stick with an electric smoker. I really like the set and forget method, it's almost like a crockpot. The worst that happens now if I don't keep up with feeding it chips is that it doesn't smoke. I don't lose heat. The food still gets done on time.
  • I'm not bringing a smoker indoors.
  • My current smoker can't get above 275°F or maybe 300°F. I'd like it if my next one could get up to 400°F or even 450°F. Then I could make some sides, or even maybe just use it almost like an oven in the summer when we don't want to heat up the house.
  • Size/capacity- I want it moveable by one person. I've never used all four shelves in my current smoker. I might've used three shelves once or twice in the couple years. I assume that if I can use it to make some sides that I'll need a little more space.
  • I like being able to set a cook temperature with an app. I used to be able to monitor a meat probe thermometer in the app and would like to get that feature back.
  • I sometimes cold smoke cheese in my current smoker. I would like to be able to keep doing that.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I have used Brinkman charcoal(with weber smokey mountain mods), Bradley Electric(similar to what you describe that you have), and recently a Rectec Pellet 590. I love the convenience of an electric smoker. I don't have time to babysit a smoker. The Bradley did great for 7 or 8 years, but I started having smoke puck jams(I think the pucks were swollen) and ended up up with non-smoke food if I didn't catch it. A pellet smoker will do all but the first and last items on your list. My Rectec has a 30lb hopper for pellets and I have never ran out of pellets even on overnight smokes. The app works awesome, can even adjust temp or shut off/turn on smoker away from the house. I kept my bradley for doing Jerkey, cheese, & salmon. They could probably be done on the Rectec but its lowest temp is 180F and highest temp runs around 500F. Rectecs customer service is incredible by the way from everything I have read. Bine has been bulletproof so far though. Knock on wood!!

Finishing my smoker build started few years ago. Added more terra cota and steel sheets to the doors. Should be less flammable now since I plan on smoking in the garage. Summer sausage, bacon, and hams in the future.

Attachments

• KIMG0486.JPG
    KIMG0486.JPG
    806.7 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0485.JPG
    KIMG0485.JPG
    830 KB · Views: 0
I've been a-hankerin' for some pastrami so I picked up two corned beef points, they are soaking in water now to remove some of the salt. Planning to coat them with black pepper + coriander as usual, just wondering if these nifty packets of spices that came with the corned beef can be used in the rub, or is that not a good idea?

Also, teh interwebs say to smoke to internal temp of 165F but this is corned beef BRISKET after all, and I like the super juicy BBQ joint texture I get if I take it up to ~205F. Will this corned beef be way overdone if I cook it beyond 165F? I want it to be juicy AF and on the verge of pulling so we can pile it up on some sloppy ass sammiches. I'm going to grill some marble rye in thick slices, if things go right and its real messy we'll just make manhattans, just looking to impress some friends on Saturday. Eyes rolled back like a Mako shark, you know what I'm getting at.

Slow cooking / smoking some St Louis ribs in my Charcoal Weber kettle today. First time trying it over charcoal. I think I'll use the 3-2-1 method for this first outing, seems tried and true.

May have to have a few of the Marzen's that have been lagering for a few weeks while I sit on the patio and watch the temps (tough job, but someones gotta do it).

Back