Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.

Pretty much, even if only for 2 hrs. Running a vertical cabinet pellet smoker, usually has quite a bit in it.
Gotcha. It’s probably dependent on smoker style. I personally feel I get very similar smoke with my pellets smoker to my old stick smoker. I’ve been very happy with it so far.

Smoking a spatchcocked brined chicken. I’m pressed for time so I’m going at 325f, that’s why I’m using a smoke tube. Normally I’d smoke at 250f and wouldn’t need the extra smoke.
CFD8AFB9-53B7-492D-904A-12AF3E9A4178.jpeg
CFD8AFB9-53B7-492D-904A-12AF3E9A4178.jpeg

Those look nice. Looks like you used hog casings. I tried collagen casings on the kielbasa I made the other week. I like the ease of putting them on the tube but boy are the tough to cut through and chewy to eat.

Those look nice. Looks like you used hog casings. I tried collagen casings on the kielbasa I made the other week. I like the ease of putting them on the tube but boy are the tough to cut through and chewy to eat.
It was pork casing, correct.
I fried up some of the lincolnshires today, put them in the oven the last bit out of fear for sausage explosions since they are pretty thicc, but they tasted delicious.
The smoked ones were also really nice, hot smoked and switched between maple and apple-tree chunks every time I had to put on a new smoke chunk. Next project is to build a drying box from a plastic storage box and a computer fan, then I'm gonna try to make them a little extra salty, cold smoke and air dry them.

The snow seems to have quit falling, it's above freezing and the wind has gotten stronger but there's patchy sunshine so I threw a rack of baby back ribs on the Green Egg. I'll cook them over pecan for an hour, then wrap them and cook at 200F for a couple of hours.

Made some sausage yesterday, drying in the fridge today.
The pink ones are lincolnshire style sausage, gonna put them in the freezer later today when they have dried a little more.
The darker are chuck roll and venison, gonna smoke those badboys this afternoon.View attachment 718697
Oh man I miss Lincolnshire sausages. I worked in Lincolnshire UK for a few years 2 and 3 weeks at a time. Those look great!

Looking forward to hearing how it works out!

So far it's going along fine not much of a bark on it but that could be the pellet grill..... but for set it and forget it and a fast cook it's hard to complain about as long as it is descent. I would have rather done this on my Kamado Joe but I was tight on time this morning so the Pit Boss was my go to with 15 minutes to get things going. It was nice to not have to think about it over night when I was trying to sleep though so I am hoping this works out and so far I am thinking it will.
1613588758992.png

so I had the thermostat go out on my pit boss about a month ago. they sent me the replacement in less than a week... seems to be fine now. however, they sent me a pack of their pork butt rub. its only 1oz. wtf am i supposed to do, 'dust' it?! frustrating they send you such a small sample... who smokes a 3lb butt?!

so I had the thermostat go out on my pit boss about a month ago. they sent me the replacement in less than a week... seems to be fine now. however, they sent me a pack of their pork butt rub. its only 1oz. wtf am i supposed to do, 'dust' it?! frustrating they send you such a small sample... who smokes a 3lb butt?!
I had the same thing happen to my GMG. It has been the only hiccup in over 6 years of owning. I had to buy the part from their website and I figured it would cost an arm and a leg. To my surprise it was about 11 bucks and took all of 2 minutes to replace.
I figure I have about 5-600 lbs of pellets through the thing.

Happened to my Pit Boss back in November they sent me 2 full size Java Chop House seasonings with it and I have to say it's pretty darn good on lamb

So I gave the hot and fast pork butt a shot yesterday and here she is
1613654264573.png

Although not the best looking butt I must say there was nothing wrong with it at all it was plenty juicy and tender and had plenty of flavor so I will be using the hot and fast method going forward I believe

Thanks for the tip @betarhoalphadelta

Glad to hear.

Yeah, the biggest difference is the bark. But the way I look at it, if you're planning on using it as pulled pork, that's not a big deal. The bark still tastes good, it's just different. And not having to spend 15-20 hours babying a smoker starting overnight or in the wee hours is worth it to me.

Glad to hear.

Yeah, the biggest difference is the bark. But the way I look at it, if you're planning on using it as pulled pork, that's not a big deal. The bark still tastes good, it's just different. And not having to spend 15-20 hours babying a smoker starting overnight or in the wee hours is worth it to me.

I just put tongs out with it and we just grabbed what we wanted - The laziest pork butt possible but hey it was a work day

Forgot to get pics but smoked a pork butt last weekend for pulled pork sandwiches this week. Also vacuum sealed and froze a few 1lb packs for future meals. Brewed today, but tomorrow I might either smoke a chuck roast or cold smoke some salmon for Philly sushi rolls this week.

I smoked a pork butt for pulled pork on a regular Weber kettle using the ring of fire method.
Rub: amazing ribs recipe
Wood: apple
Time: 9-ish hours

Has anyone done pork shoulder/butt on an ugly drum smoker/barrel smoker?

I smoked a pork butt for pulled pork on a regular Weber kettle using the ring of fire method.
Rub: amazing ribs recipe
Wood: apple
Time: 9-ish hours

Has anyone done pork shoulder/butt on an ugly drum smoker/barrel smoker?
I want too build a UDS but have not found an excuse to yet

Malcom Reed has done PB on a UDS (Love that guy)

Thank you for the video. I primarily use my UDS for ribs as it's faster and holds more than the Weber.

I forgot to take any pictures but I made Creamy Smoked Chicken Noodle Soup this past week. I thought I’d share this with you because it really added amazing flavor.

I smoked some chicken thighs at 180*f for 2 hours. I took them off and seared them in a cast iron pot and then put them off to the side.

After that I made a creamy chicken soup with in that skillet with flour, butter, heavy crea, sautéed red onions, carrots, celery, and poblano peppers. I then added the chicken back in to finish cooking. Added the noodles. Removed the chicken to shred it and put it back in. Finished it off with some fresh dill.

It was an absolute flavor bomb. If you have a solid soup recipe, I highly suggest giving it a try with smoked chicken.

I forgot to take any pictures but I made Creamy Smoked Chicken Noodle Soup this past week. I thought I’d share this with you because it really added amazing flavor.

I smoked some chicken thighs at 180*f for 2 hours. I took them off and seared them in a cast iron pot and then put them off to the side.

After that I made a creamy chicken soup with in that skillet with flour, butter, heavy crea, sautéed red onions, carrots, celery, and poblano peppers. I then added the chicken back in to finish cooking. Added the noodles. Removed the chicken to shred it and put it back in. Finished it off with some fresh dill.

It was an absolute flavor bomb. If you have a solid soup recipe, I highly suggest giving it a try with smoked chicken.
I use smoked chicken for a simple chicken salad. Turns out great. I won’t eat a regular chicken salad.
Also use the meat for enchiladas. Super simple and delicious.

Hickory smoked a few pounds of pork loin today. Ate it before I remembered to photograph it.

Looking for recommendations for brands of pink curing salt. Anything in particular one needs to look for when selecting which one to purchase?

I'm retiring my Weber Smokey Mountain. It's been awesome, but I was wanting to try something a little more self-contained.

Unexpectedly bought a Traeger pellet grill yesterday. Maiden voyage today (right after burning off manuf oils). Some wings I cut up. I coated them with a rub and corn starch. Sauced them off the grill. Really good! But this is not a smoker test. That will happen in a few days, with a brisket. I saw very little smoke with the Traeger. We'll see if I can produce a respectable product with pork butts and beef brisket.

I'm a little concerned that I don't see a way to add smoke. I usually toss hardwood on the coals when I initially add cold meat to the smoker. Not sure how to do that now, or if it makes a diff.
1616820791126.png

1616820589315.png

1616820611636.png

Cold smoked some chops on hickory yesterday and grilled them up. Hopefully I can cold smoke some cheese this weekend as well.

Just ordered a new digital smoker, can't waste another brisket on my old crappy one. Scheduled to arrive a week from Monday but maybe the shipping gods will intervene and get it here in time to try it out next weekend. Can't wait to do a brisket!

Just ordered a new digital smoker, can't waste another brisket on my old crappy one. Scheduled to arrive a week from Monday but maybe the shipping gods will intervene and get it here in time to try it out next weekend. Can't wait to do a brisket!
What did you get?

Last edited:
It's an electric from Pit Boss, I started out to buy the basic analog model and build a PID controller for it, but the digital version was only $30 more so I went for that one. If/when the electronics crap out I'll build a controller.

https://pitboss-grills.com/vertical-smokers/3-series-digital-electric-vertical-smoker
Got it from Dick's for $229

View attachment 723880
Pit Boss comes with a 5 year warranty and they make good on it without a problem.
I have been eyeballing that smoker cabinet for a year now they sell it at my local Lowes but it aint $229 that's a great deal.
Hope it serves you well most people who have it love it

Back