Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW point by itself would be too fatty for burgers. I usually mix about 50/50 point and chuck by weight. Which is STILL very fatty--but that's how I like my burgers. It allows me to cook them to safe (150-160 degree) temps without giving up any juiciness.

If you don't like your burgers very fatty, you'd want to mix the point with a much leaner cut.

BTW point by itself would be too fatty for burgers. I usually mix about 50/50 point and chuck by weight. Which is STILL very fatty--but that's how I like my burgers. It allows me to cook them to safe (150-160 degree) temps without giving up any juiciness.

If you don't like your burgers very fatty, you'd want to mix the point with a much leaner cut.
I’ve see Steve Renella use point and venison(I think it was prong horn) in burgers. Can’t remember the ratio though

My wife volunteered me to take a smoked turkey to the family Christmas Eve dinner and pulled pork to the Christmas Day dinner. I wish I had known a couple days ago so I could have the turkey thawing!

I'm considering putting the pork on the top rack to make the turkey self-basting. Thoughts???

You have the distance in your smoker @bleme?? I would have to Spatchcock the turkey to be able to do them both at the same time! I think it would definitely be doable!!!! and tasty!!

Smoked two chuck roasts and kegged an IPA yesterday. It was a good day.

20201222_093739.jpg

It was a tight fit but it worked. Cut the thickest part of the fat cap off the pork and draped it over the seasoned breast. Turkey was done in 5 hours and I wasn’t going to be home so I wrapped up the pork and put it in a 200F oven for the next 21 hours. Both turned out awesome!
8222ADFF-BBCA-4C4D-9AAF-FBDCBF6E0CF5.jpeg

Pork ribs done two ways - all with my usual dry rub, and one was also wet mopped multiple times. Hickory was the smoking wood of choix for this session. Elapsed cooking time was 5.5 hours at 235F and an internal finish temp of 195F

I prefer the dry rub, but all were tender, moist, and delicious

IMG_0849.JPG

hmm..smoked pumpkin pie does sound interesting....might be trying that as well...🧐

I'm going this route w/turkey. Never done, pretty new to smoking in general.

Realized I never posted up how this turned out. Was a hit, expectation is for me to do it again this year.

Right before I pulled it off the grill
896fb09f-51ef-4ab2-8864-cde4160fc9af.jpg

Getting ready to cut
b5c18808-4a65-4c71-a35d-750a905b64e8.jpg

and I suck at slicing...but this was how it was ultimately presented.

8e5252ca-6846-41c6-8c7d-a4a9990a8b0f.jpg

Gotta be honest. I googled that with content filter set to “strict”.
Yea my wife has been giggling like a school girl over the name (I get it)- It's a fully wireless thermometer however I am not finding the ambient temp as accurate or responsive as I would like however the concept is awesome.

Amazon.com: The MeatStick X | 260ft Wireless Meat Thermometer Withstanding High Temperature for BBQ, Smoker, Oven, Deep Frying, Sous Vide, Stove Top, Rotisserie, Kamado: Industrial & Scientific

Yea my wife has been giggling like a school girl over the name (I get it)- It's a fully wireless thermometer however I am not finding the ambient temp as accurate or responsive as I would like however the concept is awesome.

Amazon.com: The MeatStick X | 260ft Wireless Meat Thermometer Withstanding High Temperature for BBQ, Smoker, Oven, Deep Frying, Sous Vide, Stove Top, Rotisserie, Kamado: Industrial & Scientific
Your wife and my wife definitely have the same sense of humors.

her maiden name is Villa and my last name is Gallo, so when we would travel in Spanish speaking countries she would always set our reservations under Gallo-Villa which translates to Cock-House and can be taken as a brothel...she would find it hilarious when the hostess would laugh at us

I had a good hunting season this year so this weekend i intend to make deer bologna. I mix up a 10lb batch, 8lbs venison 2lbs beef with all my spices and tender quick, stuff into cloth casings and let in hang for 3 days in the garage (below 40f) then it goes to the smoker, i do add some liquid smoke when i mix up the meat because just the smoker doesnt penetrate the meat as it has started to cure by the time it makes it to the smoker. it typically turns out great so fingers crossed it goes well this weekend.

BubbaQ2's 16th victim: 7.5 lb picnic roast.

Grog's Tasty Butt™

3.5 hours in the smoker last night, another 6.5 hours in the oven today

20210116_061445.jpg

Smoked up a pair of large chuck roasts in the BGE at 235F with a mix of Pecan and Apple. Dry brined for 36 hours with sea salt and fresh cracked black/green pepper. Pulled from the BGE when inside temp was 195F and then pulled apart after a rest.

IMG_0896.JPG

Made for a great topper in this morning's breakfast

IMG_0898.JPG

14 lbs of back bacon today. Using the pellet tube on the propane grill.

Probably could have used the pellet pooper today, but I didn't want to use that much fuel today.

Attachments

• 31086.jpeg
    31086.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 24
@NGD , it seemed to work ok, but I haven't sliced off any to taste the final results. I plan on letting it rest until this evening until I get the slicer out.

I have one of the low dome models so meat was right up under the lid. The tube creates alot of smoke, and these pellets have a really strong hickory sent to them. Just don't place the tube over the burner you have on (it will heat the pellets and they ignite versus smolder- yes I know "no s*** Sherlock!").

Temp control is questionable at best right now as I was going off the gauge on the grill, and it was everywhere from 120 to 450 (did I mention there may have been a point that the entire tube was burning at one point?). In the end, it was about 6 hours cooking when they hit 140 and I pulled them and wrapped them. The tube needed to be topped off once (after it caught on fire).

I will definitely do this again to tune in the process for at least bacon though the winter.

50lbs bacon. Will cold smoke @ 35-38f, 3 days, 10hrs/day
50 lbs, went into smoker to dry Jan 18, smoked Jan 20, 21, 22. Rested in smoker 2 more days. Sliced and vac packed Jan 25. Smoker never above 38f.

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_102144.jpg
    IMG_20210125_102144.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210125_103641.jpg
    IMG_20210125_103641.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210125_104613.jpg
    IMG_20210125_104613.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210125_130141.jpg
    IMG_20210125_130141.jpg