Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canadian bacon
attachment.php

Looks great! What's your brine recipe?

This one was the simple dry brine.....1 TBSP Morton Tender Quick and 1 tsp sugar per pound...

The other one was with this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/maple-cured-canadian-bacon-grilled-recipe.html

The texture/flavor was much better on the wet brine. But, the maple flavor wasn't much, so I'd probably just use brown sugar in place of maple syrup when I do this again...

Maybe try using maple sugar next time...flavor comes through better than the syrup.

Smoking a Pork Butt this week-end. Been a busy summer. I think this is only the second one of the season. I'm ashamed! :(

Smoking a chicken this weekend . cut in half last night. Oiled and rubbed last night and put it on at 250 degrees.

Element took a sh%+ on my Bradley mid smoke. I guess I can't complain. I've had it for about 4 or 5 years. Checked on things and the meat was at 167 and the smoker was at 140. Wrapped her in foil and moved it to the oven for 203. Turned out great but added a couple hours to dinner time.

Started cure tonight of 10 lbs of Maple pepper bacon.

FYI if you need to grind lots of fresh pepper breakout the Dewalt cordless drill attach to your pepper mill and in seconds your done.

Bacon cure.jpg

Cold smoking some hard boiled eggs for 2 hours they make the best Deviled eggs.

I poke a pin hole through the shell in the fat end of the egg shell, get one inch of water boiling in a pot, place eggs in metal steamer basket, steam for 13 mins lid on, cool in a bowl of ice water then shell works great every time.

Smoked Eggs.jpg

Cold smoking some hard boiled eggs for 2 hours they make the best Deviled eggs.

I poke a pin hole through the shell in the fat end of the egg shell, get one inch of water boiling in a pot, place eggs in metal steamer basket, steam for 13 mins lid on, cool in a bowl of ice water then shell works great every time.

That sounds great! Never seen that done before. Love deviled eggs - add some smoke to that, and ...drooling.

Finally got around to smoking this very small brisket (~3 lbs). Threw a rack of baby backs on with it. Ribs for tonight with some smoked sausage. Brisket will be mostly for chopped brisket sandwiches, and some will be incorporated into some jalapeño poppers.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479062377.157020.jpg

That sounds great! Never seen that done before. Love deviled eggs - add some smoke to that, and ...drooling.

Finally got around to smoking this very small brisket (~3 lbs). Threw a rack of baby backs on with it. Ribs for tonight with some smoked sausage. Brisket will be mostly for chopped brisket sandwiches, and some will be incorporated into some jalapeño poppers.View attachment 376926

Chopped brisket, cream cheese stuffed jalapeno wrapped in bacon grilled until crispy sounds really good!
I'm going to put that on the to do list!!

Wife got impatient last night. Brisket wasn't ready, so made some blended with cream cheese and cheddar, wrapped in some really good smoked thick cut bacon. Delicious just like that.

Now only have two more large jalapeños (might just need to pick up a few more), and some left over brisket, so round 2 will be happening within the next day or two.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479179418.256139.jpg

Wife got impatient last night. Brisket wasn't ready, so made some blended with cream cheese and cheddar, wrapped in some really good smoked thick cut bacon. Delicious just like that.

Now only have two more large jalapeños (might just need to pick up a few more), and some left over brisket, so round 2 will be happening within the next day or two.View attachment 377093

This might be a dumb question - you put those on the smoker to cook?

This might be a dumb question - you put those on the smoker to cook?

Was the original intent, but they were just baked as it was kind of a last minute addition to dinner. Would've never been ready in time at 225 degrees. Was planning originally to do them then next day, but my wife got a hankering for them. :) Still really good. The bacon was super smoky, so it imparted some of that goodness.

Was the original intent, but they were just baked as it was kind of a last minute addition to dinner. Would've never been ready in time at 225 degrees. Was planning originally to do them then next day, but my wife got a hankering for them. :) Still really good. The bacon was super smoky, so it imparted some of that goodness.

I generally don't prefer them at 225 anyway... Get them up around 325-350 and you'll get the bacon more crispy.

The wife smoked two 14lb turkeys today. Cooked at 250 for 6 hours when the breast and thigh were both done.

She's smoking two more tomorrow for left overs.

She has mastered stuffed bacon wrapped jalapenos.

This Thanksgiving I'm thankful for her!

I will put a 10 pound turkey on the Big Green Egg tonight at midnight to be ready for the 2 PM Turkey Day food orgy.

I doing the exact opposite. Spatchcock @ 400* on the egg over a clean burning Mesquite fire. Might throw a chunk or two of Apple or Cherry in for a little extra sweet smoke.

Im strongly debating cooking it on the Memphis pellet grill though too. It cooks the best chicken ever for a hot & fast cook. Set it at 385* & the convection currents really makes for an even, golden brown, crispy skin. Might be the one area it really makes the BGE look weak. Here is the cross section of some thighs I did a week or two ago to demonstrate how lovely the skin can come out; I call it chicken bacon
9s56if.jpg

I will say spatchcocking a bird is my best choice since i have a grill for a smoker. i will be doin a 12# turkey on the old propane cooker. Chickens work great on my grill but turkey is a little tougher. I will probably need a blanket depending on the weather. i am not doing it for a thanksgiving dinner, just gettin rid of last years freezer turkey. if i remember to take pics i will post them.

I am smoking a 12.55lb brined Turkey on my barrel smoker with hickory hardwood and a dusting of apple wood.

13 pounder will go on the WSM at 325 for 3 or so hours. I'm planning on giving it an hour rest, so I have some wiggle room.

I doing the exact opposite. Spatchcock @ 400* on the egg over a clean burning Mesquite fire. Might throw a chunk or two of Apple or Cherry in for a little extra sweet smoke.

Im strongly debating cooking it on the Memphis pellet grill though too. It cooks the best chicken ever for a hot & fast cook. Set it at 385* & the convection currents really makes for an even, golden brown, crispy skin. Might be the one area it really makes the BGE look weak. Here is the cross section of some thighs I did a week or two ago to demonstrate how lovely the skin can come out; I call it chicken bacon
9s56if.jpg

No spatchcock, but I've been cooking the turkey at 500 deg. for years now. It produces a turkey a lot like your picture. Juicy meat and crisp skin.

Just a head's up... if anyone ever cures and smokes a bacon and also cures and hangs a pancetta at the same time...and you're wondering if you should make an egg and cheese sandwich with both... the answer is "yes... yes you should"

Back