Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You in the sauce again?

"What are you drinking," What are you smoking" and "Stogie thread."

I get em all mixed up - I look at my subscribed threads too fast (mobile). :D

Pig is on. Couple hours in. And breakfast is brats and bacon.

1406981716143.jpg

1406981758599.jpg

Use small load of charcoal to keep it that low? I have a kamado (vision classic)

Not sure in a Komodo. I have a steel can (WSM). I use a small amount of charcoal setup in a "C" shape so only a few coals are burning at once and they continue to burn in a circle.

What's everyone paying for a pork belly these days. I paid 4.79 a pound. IMO that's insane. I can buy bacon cheaper than I can make it.

I could buy BMC cheaper than brewing, too. ..but it ain't near as good. ...and I made it myself. It's all part of havin fun for me. Cheap entertainment and I get to eat and drink the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

By the way. I think I found the best breakfast this morning. Smoked brats with a strip of home smoked maple honey bacon on a bun. That and a beer and you have breakfast. The villagers are happy

Pulled off smoker last night and into fridge whole. Just pulled apart and into oven for a few minutes to remelt all that good fat. Happy Sunday Folks!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407089064.094396.jpg

Is that water and a heat diffuse? No wait the lower one must be for chips.. Sorry trying to learn all this stuff.

Is that water and a heat diffuse? No wait the lower one must be for chips.. Sorry trying to learn all this stuff.

Both pans have water. I'm a newbie at smoking, but yeah I think they're too diffuse the heat. Chips went inside of a box on top of the coals.

I did some baby backs. They turned out much better than last time, likely due to me not rushing them.

1407110492917.jpg

Thinking about doing a bone-in Rib Roast on the smoker this weekend. There's a meat-market nearby that has great prices on the meat and I'm thinking with the amount of fat in that cut, it should be nice, tender and juicy

Thinking about doing a bone-in Rib Roast on the smoker this weekend. There's a meat-market nearby that has great prices on the meat and I'm thinking with the amount of fat in that cut, it should be nice, tender and juicy

I think you're right. One of the big posters on smokingmeatforums swears on it as the best way to do prime rib.

I always trim the bone from mine and then tie it up in a nice even round shape. This helps it cook evenly. On the bone they can cook uneven and you get some dryer parts.

Dang..... Made me want to eat my phone, that looks so good!
Finally got my new grill, going to try my hand at this smokin thing. We'll see how it turns out!

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

I always trim the bone from mine and then tie it up in a nice even round shape. This helps it cook evenly. On the bone they can cook uneven and you get some dryer parts.

Try doing a reverse sear on it. I cook mine like that every year on my BGE and it's anything but a dry and uneven cook. Granted, I don't get a HUGE roast, but it's a decent size.

Perfectly rare all the way through.

Granted, I didn't cook this, but it was so damn good I had to share.

We're in Sonoma for a wedding, and went to a place called Sweet T's. Best brisket I've had at a restaurant outside Texas. They have the cojones to serve their ribs dry, and they're delicious and tender. The pulled pork was a bit dry, but two out of three ain't bad...

1407600393081.jpg

My 2nd attempt at cooking ribs. Not that anyone replied, but the first attempt was nasty salty, gritty. It's getting there, The first ribs was guy fieri recipe. This time I followed a book by Miron Mixon and employed new techniques like spritzing, smoking, using grill thermal probes, glazing, and cooking sealed pan with apple juice.

Next up is a recipe from another book by Melissa Cookston which uses more sugar and grape juice.

My goal is Outback restaurant style ribs. sweet and hot and tangy on the outside.

ribs ver 2.jpg

I've had pretty good luck with the 3 2 1 method if it helps.

Did a Boston Butt yesterday. It came out pretty tasty, but I was hoping for pull apart tender for sandwiches.

boston butt.jpg

My 2nd attempt at cooking ribs. Not that anyone replied, but the first attempt was nasty salty, gritty. It's getting there, The first ribs was guy fieri recipe. This time I followed a book by Miron Mixon and employed new techniques like spritzing, smoking, using grill thermal probes, glazing, and cooking sealed pan with apple juice.

Next up is a recipe from another book by Melissa Cookston which uses more sugar and grape juice.

My goal is Outback restaurant style ribs. sweet and hot and tangy on the outside.

Have you checked out: http://amazingribs.com/

There is a lot of great information on that site that could help you out.

Could you post a little more information on the process for making summer sausage? I'd love to make some for my dad when I go up to visit for Christmas.

Could you post a little more information on the process for making summer sausage? I'd love to make some for my dad when I go up to visit for Christmas.

I make mine using 100% venison and I use the LEM kits. I prefer the LEM kits to the others because they are 1 lb tubes instead of 3 or 5. Allows me to smoke them then individually freeze the one pounders in vacuum packaging for long term storage. I usually do 20 pounds at a time and smoke over mesquite at 275 until the internal temp hits 160 I believe. I would have to check my notes for exact temp. The link to the LEM kits is below but you can also find them at Bass Pro Shop usually. Lastly, I prefer the trail bologna to the summer sausage, has more heat and I usually throw in extra ground mustard and pepper flakes.

LEM kit - http://www.lemproducts.com/product/backwoods-summer-sausage-kits/backwoods-sausage-seasoning

Lol. Melena knows the language.
Chuck roast went on bout an hour ago. Rubbed down in a heavy coat of salt pepper and a bit of onion and garlic powder.

Just put a couple racks of baby backs on the WSM. We're going to try these with no sauce because I don't think we've ever done sauce-less ribs before. And I got some nice August sweet corn at the Farmer's Market this morning. Pass the floss!

Just put a couple racks of baby backs on the WSM. We're going to try these with no sauce because I don't think we've ever done sauce-less ribs before. And I got some nice August sweet corn at the Farmer's Market this morning. Pass the floss!

Any creativity to cooking the corn? I also picked up some corn from a local farmer this morning. Haven't decided whether to soak and grill or just boil.

Any creativity to cooking the corn? I also picked up some corn from a local farmer this morning. Haven't decided whether to soak and grill or just boil.

I like to pull the husks back and grill directly. I've dried the soak in saltwater and grill with the husks still in place, but I don't think it's nearly as good.

_mg_8423-63173.jpg

Back