Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is making stock for gravy, this is for each pan, 1cup apple juice, 1 quart chicken stock, 2 quarts water, 1 stalk celery cut up, 2 carrots pealed and cut, 2 onions quartered, 2 bay leaves, 3 sprigs rosemary, the backbone of the turkey, trimmings, the neck, and the wing tips. I let that boil down and turn to stock. I take some and thicken it for gravy, the rest I save for making turkey soup.

2x boneless Pork Butts ready to wrap

IMG_3937.jpeg

headed to the BGE tomorrow afternoon for a date with lump charcoal and a chunk or two of Hickory plus a chunk of Cherry for some additional smoke ring color. taking some resting time to let the home made rub work its magic

1686890181145.png

Will be accompanied by home made scalloped potatoes and a fresh green salad

Well it's not hardcore smokery, just using a smoke tube in a little Weber Go Anywhere grill. Grassfed tri-tip from Crowd Cow, old school Kingsford coals and Camp Chef competition blend pellets.
tritip1.jpg
Tritip2.jpg

Cooked this yesterday and posted in the “what did you cook this weekend” thread but figured it should go here too.

Carnitas style pulled pork tacos with avacado-lime crema, picked red onions, cotija cheese, and cilantro
E76115F1-4DE0-461C-916F-069EB3FEDD82.jpeg
016EF182-F595-4EBE-92C6-3A9307A042D8.jpeg
5E5820FA-6BD2-489B-86FB-8EA9E4CC9566.jpeg

brisket this past weekend when family visited. had high winds overnight, and that steady 225F rose to 300F while I dozed between midnight and 4:30A. thick area was right at 198F, so I thought this would be a tosser but wrapped in foil and rested for six hours in a cooler just in case

1688673937682.png

sliced this up and this was surprisingly moist and tender the entire way thru. got comments from a couple fam members that this was some of the best brisket they'd ever had.

smoking wood was 2 chunks of Post Oak and one chunk of Cherry to supplement the B&B lump charcoal with Oak. great flavor, but not as much smoke ring as I'd anticipated given I had a chunk of Cherry in the mix.

dry brined with sea salt, and then added black pepper plus a dash of seasonings 60 minutes prior to load in.

was still moist, tender, and flavorful served warmed up as leftovers the past two nights. also made for a great batch of brisket based hash and fresh eggs from the henhouse yesterday morning.

Most of the competition guys have moved to 275 for brisket from what I've heard. Allows them to power through the stall a little easier and not take as long... And if they're having success, I don't worry about being over 225. I've heard MANY home smokers who have followed them up to 275 and rave about it as well.

Granted, it may depend on smoker design... Aaron Franklin runs his smokers hotter, but recommends home cooks using smaller smokers run lower if there's a chance they'll be too close to the heat:

https://www.foodandwine.com/meat-poultry/beef/steak-cuts/crimes-against-bbq-brisket-aaron-franklin
But for me, with a Kamado that runs a pretty small fire to maintain 275, and with a 1/2" ceramic heat deflector between the heat source and the meat, I have NO difficulties with running 275.

I actually even run 350-375 for pork butt. But brisket is too finicky for that.

Beef birria, recipe adapted from Mi Cocina by Rick Martínez. If the consommé turns out really good I'll use it as a basis for a chili next weekend. I love cooking with dried chiles. I used chuck roast plus a shank to enrich the stock. Sous vide 18 hours @145F, then onto the grill at 275 on a rack over the braise. As soon as it reaches 175 internal I'll move the meat into the pot and let it simmer another few hours. This is tomorrow night's dinner.

20230730_113301.jpg
20230730_123333.jpg
20230730_131442.jpg
20230730_142040.jpg

Last edited:
I’d probably cook spatchcock chicken every night of the week if I could. This is going to be used mainly for enchiladas
Looks delicious! What sort of seasoning are you using? You're getting a gorgeous skin on it.

I don't cook chicken often (wife has a poultry allergy), so it's only when she's got plans and I'm only cooking for the kids and I. But I generally just roast it with John Henry's "Texas Chicken Tickler" rub and I don't get anywhere near that color.

Tomorrow we'll have our annual "clean out the freezer" barbecue for the French family. I have 2 pork shoulders to smoke, a variety of bratwurst style sausages, pork chops, chicken and who knows what else.

Looks delicious! What sort of seasoning are you using? You're getting a gorgeous skin on it.

I don't cook chicken often (wife has a poultry allergy), so it's only when she's got plans and I'm only cooking for the kids and I. But I generally just roast it with John Henry's "Texas Chicken Tickler" rub and I don't get anywhere near that color.
I have a few different seasonings I use on chicken. Since this one was being used for enchiladas it had a more southwest/mexican vibe to it;
S&P, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chili powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, touch of cumin.

How to get the skin crispy; I pat the skin dry and then using my fingers, separate the skin from the breast and thighs, keeping it attached along the sides but making “pockets”. I then put thick slices of butter underneath. I’ll cook at 300*f until about 120-130IT and then crank the heat to 375-400 until I pull around 163*f at the thickest portion of the breast

I have a few different seasonings I use on chicken. Since this one was being used for enchiladas it had a more southwest/mexican vibe to it;
S&P, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chili powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, touch of cumin.

How to get the skin crispy; I pat the skin dry and then using my fingers, separate the skin from the breast and thighs, keeping it attached along the sides but making “pockets”. I then put thick slices of butter underneath. I’ll cook at 300*f until about 120-130IT and then crank the heat to 375-400 until I pull around 163*f at the thickest portion of the breast
Got it. Thanks!

And it came out great, put some sweet potatoes in the smoker with it too.
looks fantastic. had braised lamb leg once from indian resturant and was great. this part of the states lamb is not popular, can get it frozen but fresh. would like to do a nice roast once to really see what i am missing.

Put this leg of lamb in the smoker earlier today, should be ready soon.View attachment 827999

Question... Is that the netting that's on the lamb from the store or do you add your own?

When I buy leg of lamb from Costco it always has the netting, but I take the netting off and truss it up myself. I've never tried cooking it in the original netting.

Latest posts

Back