Who's NOT making IPAs and what are you brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna brew a Lithuanian-style raw ale w/ Jovaru yeast this weekend.

Sounds awesome. Curious where your sourcing the juniper from. My understanding is the correct type only grows in Canada and northern Euro climates.

Next beer will be a Pilsner, APA then a Belgian blonde

Marzen lager for Oktoberfest (~13 gallon split into 3 batches using 3 different yeasts WLP820,835,838) all at ~6%, English Strong Ale (same strategy with English yeasts WLP006,022,025) all at 8%, and a ~2.2 gallon experiment using WLP070 (Kentucky Bourbon yeast) that came out at 8.8% but now lagering. I can't put my finger on the WLP070, but wondering if WLP070 has a tobacco flavor component (just an initial thought from when it was uncarbonated and I haven't had any since).

I have talked to brewers that jumped on the extreme hops bandwagon only to acquire what they called an allergic reaction.

My first posting of this didn't show up. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a duplicate.

Duplicate showed up so, I can't figure out how to delete this - but just removed duplicate text.

I am off IPAs for awhile. I can get great ones locally.

Trappist single is cold crashing right now, and I am making an Irish Red warm fermenting L28 Urkel on Saturday.

Cheers!

Have my first two beers fermenting currently. A Winter Warmer for this... winter... and an Oatmeal Stout for as soon as it's done. First two brews went pretty well. I can't wait to brew more, but have to wait. I only have enough empties to bottle two batches.

I have never brewed a IPA. Currently on tap an American brown ale, next up Saturday morning is a strong porter.
Eric

Making my test batch for a Xmas ale. Using roasted barley, crystal 49/60, wheat malt, special, cascade hops to bitter, huats hops for floral, cinnamon, ginger, honey. Now I’m debating adding cardamom or clove in the secondary any suggestions? It’s 4 days into primary with the wyeast 1028 going strong

Polishing off a saison, fermenting a blonde ale, and looking at the "oldtoberfest" and rauchweizen from Michael Dawson's "Mashmaker" book up next as we get near autumn. Just got that book so I'm working my way through everything that's catching my eye.

Making my test batch for a Xmas ale. Using roasted barley, crystal 49/60, wheat malt, special, cascade hops to bitter, huats hops for floral, cinnamon, ginger, honey. Now I’m debating adding cardamom or clove in the secondary any suggestions? It’s 4 days into primary with the wyeast 1028 going strong
If you go with the clove, go lighter than you might think. I made a holiday ale two years ago and it tasted great to me, but not so much for everyone else that tried it. Too much clove in secondary.

pilsner and SNPA clone in kegs, and another pilsner and black ipa (oops) in the fermenters

Brewed my birthday beer - a spiced cherry dubbel (I have found overnight mashes to work well for my limited time to brew) from the 12 beers of Christmas. Looking forward to tapping it Christmas Day.

fwiw, I've been maintaining three neipa styles for the last couple of years now - it's truly the rage here - my boys hanker for 'em, with the fourth tap dedicated to my imperial chocolate stout, and the fifth and sixth free for whatever style suits my interests.

Lately 5 is a Saison and 6 is a Kolsch. My kids aren't fans of either - they go straight to the Julius, Juicy Bits and my own Galaxy-dominant brew. Meanwhile their spouses favor the Kolsch, as do random macro-oriented friends, so I've been hitting the Saison hard to keep up ;)

Everyone loves the stout, but a little bit can lead to a nap...

Cheers!

I brew Piwo Godziskie this weekend.
I streamlined the process a bit and raised ABV, but I think it should end as close to style as possible.

I've become totally senseless to NEIPAs to the point that I don't know what I'm drinking sometimes. So, I'm brewing bitters (with my WL vault strains) and I'm enjoying the subtleties of well balanced beer again.

a buddy of mine just came back from Vermont and brought back nothing but NEIPA's. I get it... when in rome but I've never gotten on the haze craze wagon. I do love a west coast IPA but I've been doing non IPA beers since the summer started and it's been fun.

I have an Oktoberfest style beer that is just about to cold crash and package this weekend. It has no traditional marzen ingredients but beersmith said it fits the style. It's 2 row, aromatic, a little crystal 10, carafa 2, and maybe another grain or two I can't remember. Then loral hops as bittering and some 2% aa german hops in the WP with wlp0029 german kolsch yeast.
The other beer I have fermenting is an oatmeal brown ale with caramelized local dark honey.

The big cool down as begun now that summer is almost over so my beers will be getting darker and darker! I'm thinking about getting another fermentor and doing a big stout for when the snow starts to fall. Can't work a snowblower without a barrel aged stout in hand!!

I do really like IPAs and generally have one in rotation. About to brew a wee heavy. Always have a saison on hand. Usually a Tripel and a quad as well. Almost imperial stout time.

I have never brewed and IPA, I don't like hops very much. But lately I have been making really nice bitters with wormwood. Basically variations of:

amber ale DME
fresh fruit
brown sugar
nottingham yeast
coldbrewed wormwood tea

I have lots of fruit so there are infinite variations on this basic theme. All of them have proven good

Just started a Porter, variation on Denny's Nick Danger recipe. I serve homebrew at concerts we run, using a two-tap jockey box, and one tap is always a dark malty beer, usually Porter. The Porter is consistently popular, often outselling IPA. I've been having fun experimenting with recipes and discovering how much difference a little change in malts can really make.

Saison, Belgians, English Ordinary Bitter, and very low gravit America Pale Ales.. I have tried NEipa and find them repulsive, and have just run the course on IPAs .. I am glad folks brew what they want, but I am a little disappointed that most of the local brew pubs only have IPAs and NEipas now..

I try to keep nearly everything under 4% outside of Belgian Golden and Belgian Dark strong which usually avg about 8%
I really wanted to like stronger Belgian beers, but I simply don't. It's too strong for me. I'll be brewing lots of low gravity stuff again, trying to keep it in between 2.5 and 3%.

Sours, Saisons (dark, light, plain and funky), pale ales, will be looking into Belgians more this year, Belgian Blonde and Patersbier for the summer. Looking at brewing up a wine/beer sour hybrid in the near future as well.

I almost always have a Patersbier on tap.. Just very the grist and the yeast strain to keep it interesting

I've been planning some Milds & American Mildly Hopped Bitters for fall as well as a Petite Saison.

I too have been finding myself in the lower gravity area lately. I went bonkers with 6-8% ales for a period, and realize that I prefer to be able to function after only a few bottles. If it were ten years ago, I'd probably feel different, but at this point I'm digging staying 3.5-4%.

There are so many good IPA's at the beer store I dont bother doing them. Today was a Strong Ale similar to last month's. Beer before that was a Bavarian Wheat stout (wrong yeast but surprisingly drinkable! ).

I'm only going to make what I can't find locally and for a reasonable price.

All the Best,
D. White

I brew Piwo Godziskie this weekend.
I streamlined the process a bit and raised ABV, but I think it should end as close to style as possible.

I also recently made one. I split the beer, fermented with Gozdawa OGA9, the other half with the S-33. Both came out really nice. I love the style. I had no idea what it would be like, 100% oak smoked wheat malt and so light, but it's just great. Next batch I will try a saison yeast with it, the other half traditional. Awesome beer. I wish more commercial breweries would brew that stuff

Edit: typo

I don't like IPAs. Never have. Never will. I brew wheat beers, Belgian Wits, Blond ales, porters, stouts, my award winning Irish Ale, Golden ale, bochs, pale ales, or anything....but IPAs.

Back