Who's Brewing on MLK Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
I am...but it's gonna be cold :) High of 26 today....so I'm gonna wait a couple more hours to get started...gotta wait for the sun to hit the part of my yard that I will be brewing.

Im brewing the following...

8lbs Pale 2-Row
1lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt
1lbs Crystal 60L Malt

1oz Cascade at 60
.66oz Cascade at 15
.33oz Cascade at 5

Yeast: Danstar Nottingham
Mash: Single Infusion at ~155.

I have a couple of other things that I have to get done today, but if everything stays on track, I will be brewing a clone of Blue Moon Whit.

Beerlord said:
I am if it worms up, right now it's 7
I hear ya...it's 16 now....but I figure, I wont be outside for very long and if I am, I can just get close to the kettle....until I have to cool it.

I plan on heating all my water up outside, mashing inside...and watching from a window while it's boiling :)

Hmmm... just remembered, my LHBS is closed on Mondays, so I can't pick up more yeast, and I did not start a starter yesterday, so I won't be brewing today. Today I will make a starter so that I can brew tomorrow, and I will also transfer Cheesefood’s Caramel Cream Ale into the beer fridge for some crash cooling.

I'm brewing a Mac & Jack's African Amber Clone.. Very cold here in Ohio this morning!

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU

8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 77.27 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

I gathered everything to brew the below two brews, but it's way too cold. I'll have to save it for this weekend when it's predicted to be in the 40's.

Brew related, I plan on racking my Amarillo Ale and the East Kent Golding Ale (single malt/hop) to the kegs and doing some equipment maintenance.

Centennial Ale

9 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 30
.5 lb Belgium Biscuit
1.5 oz Centennial (60 minutes)
1 oz Centennial (10 minutes)
1 oz Centennial (0 min)
Nottingham
Mash 154 Batch sparged

Fuggle Ale

11 lbs Maris Otter
2 oz Fuggles (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (10 minutes)
1 oz Fuggles (0 min)
Nottingham
Mash 154 Batch sparged

ohiodad said:
I'm brewing a Mac & Jack's African Amber Clone.. Very cold here in Ohio this morning!

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU

8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 77.27 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Is that the recipe from BYO?
Let us know how the recipe comes out...
I LOVE me some Mac & Jacks

bigben said:
I hear ya...it's 16 now....but I figure, I wont be outside for very long and if I am, I can just get close to the kettle....until I have to cool it.

I plan on heating all my water up outside, mashing inside...and watching from a window while it's boiling :)

Probably what i will end up doing, hate to tie dye some shirts with the kids first :fro:

rabidgerbil said:
Is that the recipe from BYO?
Let us know how the recipe comes out...
I LOVE me some Mac & Jacks

Yeah it is close to the one from BYO. Adjusted a little replaced 1/2 pound of the pale malt with 1/2 pound more of the caramel 80 because the color didn't seem dark enough for an amber to me... And the cascade addition at knockout was increased to a full ounce.. But other than that it is the one from BYO... Looking forward to it.

Also today I'm making a starter for next weeks Maibock recipe, using WL 830. I'm still working on the actual recipe but I'll have something ready by next week.
Also, today, I racked a Westmalle Tripel clone to tertiary. After three weeks in secondary there was still a fairly large amount of sediment and I'm getting a bubble every minute or so. This thing tastes absolutely fantastic, right now, but I don't think it's ready to bottle yet, although it has dropped a couple points below the target FG.

It's great. My school has classes but since my internship respects MLK day (and my boss is in Philly), I have nothing to do until 4pm!! I just racked my Bass Ale Clone to secondary and putting together a recipe/equipment list for a trip to the LHBS tomorrow..

No brewing here. Cold and rain. I can deal with cold, but not the rain. This sucks. I was going to brew 10 gallons of Stone IPA clone.

I'm at work.......... but I'm brewing. :D
I'm right in the middle of a 2 hour 135F rest for my no-boil Berliner Weisse. Makes for an easy brew day, so I am actually getting work done as well.

just bottling my Murphy's Irish Stout clone today. Ordered some stuff to make an Irish Red Ale from Northern Brewer that should be in Wed. Then brewing shall commence.

/mild rant on

i have a dream ....... to make some money today. frankly if it were all about MLK's bday we'd celebrate it on the 15th of january. no this is just another "i want a long weekend" ploy perpetuated by gov officials to a)placate a segment of our society and b)get a long weekend on tax payer's backs.

i believe that mlk would support working. he was an on kind of guy .. not off

/mild rant off

What's with all the wieners saying it's too cold? Probably around 20 right now. Was in the low teens when I started. Just bringing it up to a boil right now.:tank:

I think I'm going to transfer one of my stouts out of primary and get a batch of Apfelwein started. It's going to be a grueling day. ;)

Well, all done.

It was a good brew day. Hit my mash temp right on, and only dropped half a degree...I brought the cooler inside. I did forget to take a hydrometer reading...but o wellz.

ohiodad said:
Yeah it is close to the one from BYO. Adjusted a little replaced 1/2 pound of the pale malt with 1/2 pound more of the caramel 80 because the color didn't seem dark enough for an amber to me... And the cascade addition at knockout was increased to a full ounce.. But other than that it is the one from BYO... Looking forward to it.

Have you had the real thing? It is not as dark as most "ambers" that you might think of.

rabidgerbil said:
Have you had the real thing? It is not as dark as most "ambers" that you might think of.

Yep had the real thing a few years back and I loved it! Honestly few ambers stand out to me in my years of tasting beers, but this is one that did.. My recipe comes in at 12 srm. I think the BYO recipe was closer to 9... Just seemed more to style at 12... Any recipe can be improved on in my opinion! :eek:

I just finished brewing a modified Guinness clone...I halved the roasted barley and replaced it with (more) chocolate malt.

I'm looking for more chocolate without actually using chocolate (candy). :D

I was thinking about adding lactose later to sweeten it and possibly calling it a Chocolate MiLK Stout in honor of Martin Luther King.

Just got started on a batch of SWMBO's favorite. I went to restock the fridge and low and behold, I only have about a dozen bottles left??? "Honey, have you been restocking the Red Ale so I wouldn't realize how much of it you were drinking?" LOL. It's awesome to be appreciated for your work:)

Didn't brew as planned but it was a great gadget day. I made a hop bag like so many here have done using a PVC pipe adapter, hose clamp, dowels, and a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Can't wait to try it out.

I also got my Chilzilla set up with the Wort Wizard.

I did end up making Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale. The hops smell is fantastic- simcoe and amarillo were just destined to be used together. It's happily blurping away next to me as I type.

I was super busy yesterday but finally got around to kegging my chocolate stout and starting some apfelwein. I decided to make two 2.5-gallon batches, one with the Montrachet champagne yeast and the other with the giant yeast cake that had just been made available. I poured off all the liquid and slushy yeast from my carboy and am hoping most of the chocolate remnants don't transfer!

well racked off my x2IPA, brewed a simple heff, and smoked a 10 pork shoulder. All while cleaning my back porch and getting ready to build a deck with a gourmet outdoor kitchen. (I can't wait till spring!)

All in all, a very good holiday!

Back