Using more malt/grains with extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
I am looking at having a tad more control over my extract brews. In doing so I was eyeballing the idea of using more specialty grains in each brew. What I've basically done is subbed the majority of the base malt with dme, incorporate a bit of base malt along with the specialty grains in a partial mash before I do the boil, dme, hop additions. For example lets say there was a 5 gallon all grain/biab recipe of

10lbs pale 2 row
1lb crystal 60l
2lb biscuit
1 oz cascade hops 60 minutes

with a 70% efficiency this would come out to the following per brewers friend

1.066 OG
13.5 SRM
12.65 IBU

So here would be my conversion

6.6 lb extra light dme
2lb Pale 2 row
1lb Caramel 60l
2lb Biscuit
1oz cascade hops 60 minute

This would bring it out to

1.066 OG
14.38 SRM
12.71 IBU

So not the same but close to the all grain numbers wise. Here's the next question you might ask as to why I might be thinking about this. I only have a 4 gallon brew kettle and like making 5 gallon batches. This means my boil size is at 2.5 gallons when it's time to add hops/dme. I figure that this would be a good learning tool until I can do full 5 gallon BIAB batches. As an experiment I have tried this setup using the Yooper House Pale Ale recipe as the base with different hops. It's aging in the carboy right now waiting for a dry hop :) Is there any reason to not do this (short of the added costs of extra grains)?

Above is close to what I do, but for I have an LME bias.
DME gives you more flexibility, since you can use partial bags of DME, while I use whole containers (3.15/3.3/6 lbs) LME. I use DME for some big beers and when the appropriate LME is not available.
I'm happy with partial something. It is easy on the back and the gas stove.

I think you have it under control. I wouldn't bother with the pale malt though. Just get all your base in the extract. *most* specialty malts dong need to convert. Just steep to get the sugar out.

I say thumbs up on the partial mash. You will get more out of your specialty grains with a mash, and you can pretty much do any recipe including ones that call for munich, vienna, unmalted grains, etc. that are hard/impossible to get in extract form. It's a nice way to get experience with mashing, and you can also do some 2-2.5 gal all grain batches with your equipment if you like.

Edit: if you're not already doing this with the partial boil I'd just add all the extract at the end and boil only the partial mash wort - you can sparge a bit to bring up the volume

Hey Chickypad I've been brining the boil to an og of 1.040 which usually means adding 1.5lbs of DME at the start then adding the other 4.5lbs of dme at flameout. Been adjusting the hop weights/schedules due to the added ibu's too!

edit: I have a 5 gallon carboy and 6.5 gallon bucket. If I did a 2.5 gallon batch would the 5 gallon carboy have too much headspace? If not I can see a quick easy all grain stout in the future!

I think you have it under control. I wouldn't bother with the pale malt though. Just get all your base in the extract. *most* specialty malts dong need to convert. Just steep to get the sugar out.

This is not completely correct. You can get flavor, some unfermentable sugars and starch from steeping. Mashing with a base malt will convert the starches to fermentable sugars. Even crystal malts have a lot of additional sugars if mashed with a base malt.

This is not completely correct. You can get flavor, some unfermentable sugars and starch from steeping. Mashing with a base malt will convert the starches to fermentable sugars. Even crystal malts have a lot of additional sugars if mashed with a base malt.

What is that based on?

I'm not sure why you'd want more fermentable crystal malt.

For some it might just get back to having more control in general. With steeping you get what you get and have no control over fermentability, with mashing you get more out of the specialty malts but can also manipulate fermentability somewhat with temp, etc. I agree though the advantage of a partial mash isn't really with crystal malts so much as with all the other ingredients that really need to be mashed.

I think the use of crystal is to get unfermentable sugars that give mouthfeel and flavor.

Latest posts

Back